The ups, downs, and occasional sideways bits of trying to be mortgage free

Comments

• Thank you taff! Never apologise for rambling, I love some company.

New month!

As per my signature, my mortgage has actually gone UP - but that's because I started partway through last month and I think DH's pay had just gone in. A lump will hit the accounts tomorrow and make that look better, but from now on I'm only paying attention to figures on the first of the month. Interest payments on both mortgages were down, so I think that means more money was sitting in the account this time.

YNAB has been brilliant, although I set it up a bit wrong and made my life unnecessarily complicated. Because I have an offset mortgage, and then I run everything through the CC, I didn't want to 'admit' to YNAB that both my account balances (mortgage + CC) were in debt. So I kind of created a fictional 'checking' account and gave it the balance that was left once I took away the owed amounts, if that makes sense?

So my original mortgage was $250K. At any given point I have maybe $4K on the CC. And then there's about $15K available credit on the mortgage account, but I didn't want it to show up like I had that much to spend! So I gave myself an artificial checking account that was just the total of our incomes for last month, and "paid" the rest into the mortgage. It's all one account in real life. Anyway that's a long boring story and the short version is that it makes reconciliation really hard and now I'm wondering if I should change it to reflect the actual reality! But then I have all these red numbers on my lovely spreadsheet!
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • Monthly recap:

Good things

I drastically cut back on spending in cafes. I'm a terror for suggesting 'afternoon tea' to the DDs as part of a day out or to soften the tedium of running errands with me. Now they're both back at school that was going to go down anyway, but I was still doing it too often. Once a week is my new rule, a single coffee and cake only.
    Ditto spending on lunches. I said this upthread, but my habit was to justify things I bought in the supermarket as being cheaper than 'eating out' and therefore just 'part of the groceries' but really I was popping in to pick up a green juice, a pie, some biscuits and maybe a bag of cashews or trail mix, and before I knew it that was $15 which is more than I'd spend on a nice filled roll and a coffee! I cut this out entirely this month, go me.
    Managed lots of cheap weekends. When you're budgeting you really notice the lack of options to entertain the kids without spending money, don't you? There's only so many 'nature walks' and 'let's play in the garden' you can do. But we've not been shopping-for-shopping's-sake all month.
    Got hold of the budget. This is the biggest thing by FAR.

Bad things/Goals

I think we can do far better on groceries still, and I also need to re train the DDs a bit. This morning I got complaints that we were out of cornflakes (5 other breakfast options to choose from, mind), that the wraps I'd bought were wholemeal not white, and that one of them had gone off both ham and cheese so it was salami or nothing. Oh and yesterday DD2 didn't even touch her wrap, which I'd made with the last of the salami because see above, because "I looked at it and it looked green and that was gross". The green was lettuce.
    Anyway. I'm trying out Ald!, and if I can save enough from the grocery budget over the next two months I'll do a bulk buy meat order from the local butcher.
    This month I'm aiming for $1000 on groceries: I usually manage $1200 if I'm a bit careful, so this feels like a stretch.
    Expand the repertoire of low cost family activities.
    Start running 3 times a week again. This has nothing to do with money saving, but there we go.
  • The interim results from the Ald! Experiment are in!

DD2, the fussy one, told me that the cornflakes weren't exactly the same but just as good, and wolfed an entire bowl.
    Everyone approved of the pickles and hamburger buns
    DDs happily ate a (small!) packet of biscuits after I tried one and decided they were horrible
    The cats, on the other hand...
    Older Cat turned her nose up completely at the cat biscuits and stalked out, pointedly, before coming back in in order to lie around and starve to death AT ME.
    Younger Cat wolfed them, because he is an adolescent male and therefore eats his own body weight in food daily, and then sicked them up on the bathroom floor.

So the verdict is that my family are not fussy but my cats are!
  • I've been playing around with whatsthecost, and if I want this mortgage gone by my 50th birthday (completely arbitrary date, but it's as good as any) I need to overpay by $1200/month, paying $2200 in total.

I can't do that on my current budget without making life very miserable for the whole family for eleven years!

However, my budget doesn't take into account the fact that all the costs involved with running my Mum's unit are tax deductible, so both DH and I get a decent tax return at the end of the year. If that's the same amount as last year it'll be $8K. It's not as good as paying monthly, but it should mean [back of an envelope calculations] that instead of overpaying $14,400 over the year, I only have to find - let's call it $7K because I'm rounding up to allow for the extra interest. So that's about $600/month.

I think I can do that. I'm also still building up my business: at the moment I pay $2K from my business account into the home account every month, but once my income levels out, I will increase that to $2.5K, and hopefully in a year or two $3K. I always earn more than the $2K (plus tax) but I'm keeping some aside so I can reinvest in getting higher paid work: otherwise I end up on a treadmill of being too busy with low paid jobs to find anything better.

Okay! Look at me and my concrete goals! Let's slash $600/month off the budget!

Thing Already Done: DH cancelled his life insurance, we're just waiting for the confirmation that the policy's ended, so that's $71 gone.
    Thing Being Attempted: I'm trying to get the grocery budget down by $200/month.
    Next Target: Mobile phones and internet, we have to look into bundling and see if we can reduce. Together, they currently cost a huge $220/month. Stay tuned!
    Other Next Target: Build up business to the point where I'm throwing $2.5K into the budget monthly.
  • Nothing at all interesting happened on the weekend, which I suppose is a good thing. Grocery shop came out a bit spendy - I'm a bit concerned by it, but at the end of the day if we're not wasting food, and we're meal planning and being sensible, then the groceries cost what they cost. The biggest spend was fresh, seasonal produce from the cheapest greengrocer within a reasonable drive, I'm not going to mess with it.

DD2 and I had a lovely afternoon just the two of us: since she's started school, "mummy days" are hard to come by. So we did some sewing and some baking and walked down to the local cafe for afternoon tea because, in her words, "that's what we always do on mummy days". This is true: I spent a LOT of time in cafes with her last year, just to eke out the day a bit!

I fear I have terrorised DH a bit too much in impressing a budget upon him: he bought a spade because our 17-year-old one snapped in half, and spent five minutes justifying it to me. As if I'm going to complain about a spade.

It's a long way from a pay day...
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Did you say there was a Lidls or something by you? If there is, can't get cheaper than their veg.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • No Lidls in Australia as far as I know. Someone on the Grocery thread suggested I try switching out some of the fresh veg with frozen for things that don't matter (soups, casseroles, etc) and I think that's a good plan.

I do go on about groceries, don't I! Sorry.

What else. DH has cancelled his life insurance but we haven't got confirmation of that so just waiting to check that it doesn't come out of the account this month. His next task is to tackle the mobile phones. I did a ring around for health insurance and home and contents recently so they're as good as they'll get I think.

Just chugging along really!
  • NSD yesterday :T but it won't be one today: I'm meeting a friend for lunch who lives interstate and I only see 2 or 3 times a year at most. I also bought a secondhand Gorman skirt for $65 on an online resale group: I'm experimenting this year with buying secondhand versions of good, expensive brands, instead of spending the same money on something new but cheap, in the hopes that it'll stay in good condition for longer and end up better value. And DD2 has decided she wants to try tap instead of ballet, so I've had to source her some secondhand shoes: if they fit they'll be $15 and I'm pretty sure I can sell them on again. The rest of the costume is the same so no extra costs involved. And I forced DH to go to the osteo this evening by making him an appointment and presenting it as a fait accompli, because I'm sick of him complaining about his aches and pains and doing nothing about it. He has scoliosis, which leaves him vulnerable to muscle strains and other problems, and there always seems to be something giving him pain.

Lets hope that's it for spending. This month was on track to be slightly easier than last month UNTIL: I was feeling super organised the other day and set up some direct debits to come out quarterly on a repeat basis. Except that I messed it up and so two lots of quarterly council rates came out on the same day: almost $1000 :eek::eek::eek:

I did toy with ringing the council and asking for a refund, but I decided to try and get through the month anyway and hopefully enjoy having a six month break from that particular cost! It means my entire discretionary fund is gone for this month, and I've not added to the savings pots. I'll make it up next month.

(Lucky I didn't schedule two years' worth of DDs on the same day! Can you imagine?)

Vegetarian lasagne for this evening is all made up and wrapped in foil waiting to go into the oven. This forum is so full of well organised women who keep their homes clean and their dinners made that it inspires me to try harder. We'll see how long this lasts, but the family is definitely benefiting from my attempts at the moment!
  • Yesterday's spends went to plan except that I also gave in to temptation and bought a new book. I've been trying to use the library, but I tend to only realise at 8pm that I've nothing I fancy reading, and it's so much easier to buy something that will arrive straight into my ereader than to wait! Between that and my lunch yesterday I feel a bit indulgent!

NSD today, though, and no excuses woman!
  • Frudd
    Frudd Posts: 53 Forumite
    Hi, really enjoing reading your diary. It is nice to see that other people have the same struggles! Your food shop does sound expensive to me but we are used to insanely low food prices here in the UK which skews our perception. We stopped buying sliced meat for two reasons, expense and additives. We often roast a tray of chicken legs when something else is in the oven and use the meat for sandwiches.
    How is the egg empire coming along ?
    £0/£2017 extra income :(
    £1070 credit card
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills