greent's mfw journey

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That sounds great! There's another parallel there with my teenage years, actually - my mum took my sister and I to London when I was 16, to see the Tutankamun exhibition, it was utterly magical. Enjoy your weekend right now though :):):)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,924 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hope you have a fantastic time greent, will you go for the bounce back tickets while there? We have not been this year and I do miss it :D London sounds good too, the HP tour is literally the best place on earth! Tussaud's it might be best to start to queue before it opens as its always chaos in the holidays. I think these sort of breaks are ideal to keep them all entertained as there is something for all of them to enjoy whatever age.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Have a fab time :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Awww piggles! MWEE MWEE MWEE!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Up at 6.15 yesterday (on a Sunday in the hols - ouch!!!) - got any still sleeping children (ie: the teenagers!) up at 7. Left at 8.05 and got to AT for a very respectable 10.15 - paid extra for the premium parking from a 'we'll all be shattered at the end of the day' pov. Was worth the extra £10 (don't understand how theme parks justify charging for 'normal' parking - how are you meant to get there if not by car???) Was a relatively quiet day there, just like the papers said it has been, so got a reasonable amount of stuff done (my fave 'dry' ride was Duel, 'wet' ride was a toss-up between the Rapids and the shooting water off a ship one (can't remember the name)) Took a picnic but did buy icecreams in the afternoon (yum) Got very wet, several times, despite wearing poundshop ponchos (they work pretty well for the rides - it's the people shooting directly in your face (so down the front of the poncho) which get you wet!! :D:D:D Good weather, too. Fab day out and we left there about 6.30 - after buying the bounce back tickets for another day @ £15 each (have to be used by 6th Nov) Found a Frankie and Bennys restaurant not far away so stopped off there for dinner too - which meant we didn't get home until 10.40pm - all 3 boys were asleep in the car on the way back :)

Having had to press the reset button three times today on the boiler and finding the cover to be very hot I've got [EMAIL="BG@s"]BG@s[/EMAIL] coming out this afternoon under our homecare agreement to have a look. They will tell me I need a new one - well, they could fit a new one if they weren't so darned expensive!!! Instead I have a local guy fitting one at the end of this month for £2000 cheaper - and his price also includes fitting 2 new radiators and an annual inspection/ service for 10 years :D:D (saving us money in our monthly budget, as I will cancel the homecare agreement as soon as new one is installed)

Now just need to get dates for windows and kitchen refit...... :D:D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • greent
    Quick update on plans - some are more successful so far than others! :D

greent wrote: »
    have been thinking of plans for next year....

• Pay off mortgage - DONE - almost a month ago :j
    • Start to re-build savings after they took a massive hit last year when DH had no job - hmmm - they *have* increased - but are going to get hit again by all the planned house improvements!:p
    • Start Florida 2016 Fund!:eek: - at about £80 so far!!:rotfl:
    • Pensions.... still on my to-do list :o:o
    • Lose 2stone (min - could do with more, but 2stone would make a big difference) - ooops - also still on my to do list :o
    • Get fitter - will also hopefully help with above target! :D - was going out for a walk most nights (probably 6/7) but stopped. Need to re-start and do other stuff. Contemplating zumba :eek: and a set of Burlesque classes (sound waaay more fun than the Zumba!:D)
    • Make £1500 (net) from selling stuff - whether ebay, facebook, nearly new sales or other - doing quite well to this - progress in signature
    • Declutter house & garage - useful to help to achieve above target:D - doing ok at this :) Still lots more to do though
    • Simplify life (am not rejoining WI as part of this - it's become a chore, rather than enjoyable of late, so clearly I need a break) - WI stopped - not missed at all. PTA treasurer-ship given up, and not even replaced with 'general' committee role - have stepped totally back. Although have gained 2 small part time jobs invigilating!:rotfl:!
    • Tackle to-do list of jobs on house/ garden/ garage . somewhat neglected of late) - started this but not enough progress being made in reality. Although back garden much prettier this year than it has been in years, though
    • Look at BTL and decide what to do - needs some work on it whether we keep it or sell - was definitely looking at selling. Now looking at repaying mtge (could make that my next MFW target!:D) and keeping it in the spirit of FIRE. (Currently makes approx. £4k pa pre-tax 'profit')
    • Make memories together as a family - very important:) - there have sadly been some bad memories from the first few months of this year :( But we've had some free days out pottering in parks, a trip to Dr Who in Cardiff, @Bristol, lots of family games played and meals consumed together. Coming up: a family wedding this weekend (the first one in years!), the 4 day trip to London with the various outings whilst there, a return trip to Alton Towers and will do something in Oct half term :)
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Awesome achievements so far. And we're only at the start of August! Well done to all the greent clan :T:T:T
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Agreed, awesome stuff going on! I like your idea of keeping your BTL - the £4k pre tax profit is presumably after costs like the mortgage? So yes, profitable, hurray :) Hint: that would help your pension fund too :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • greent
    Awesome achievements so far. And we're only at the start of August! Well done to all the greent clan :T:T:T
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Agreed, awesome stuff going on! I like your idea of keeping your BTL - the £4k pre tax profit is presumably after costs like the mortgage? So yes, profitable, hurray :) Hint: that would help your pension fund too :)

Thank you, both :D I was feeling it was of the 'could do better' standard! :D But it's not bad overall - and I've just realised that losing weight before Florida gives me a 'proper' target date to work too - which may work! :p

And, yes, KC - that's the figure after mortgage int, insurance and usual costs, with a small amount for extra (there's always something which needs doing - eg: OH spent £13.50 on some pipe stuff to repair under the kitchen sink this weekend) So it's approx. 4k of profit/ income (before tax) for us (thanks to fix ending and going down to SVR:D)

x
  • Hi Greent, lovely to read of the achievements. Your decluttering is still inspiring me to rid us of 'stuff'.

Best wishes Tilly x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills