Refused credit- advice please

Hi; Im hoping someone can alleviate our current frustration. In 30 years neither of us has defaulted on any payment and we have never got into any sort of financial trouble, got a fair bit saved and until today we’ve never had credit refused. Barclays have refused a 0% credit deal for a £1100 purchase- claiming something is on my wifes credit score- but wouldnt disclose what!! We’ve run noodle and Experian credit checks and come out as excellent on both. In March 2018 we voluntary terminated a car finance agreement with mini finance- all within our statutory right and all was slick without issues (albeit the finance rep said menacingly were we ok with the ‘consequences’!!) we got records from mini finance to show we never missed a car payment or defaulted in anyway. A) are these two issues connected as i was told there could not be any legal / credit score comeback and b) what are our nexts steps please?? Any help gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Your scores and ratings are made up so ignore them.

What accounts show on your files?

Any defaults or missed payments?

Do you have any other credit accounts?
  • PB2018
    PB2018 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi Gary,
    My wife’s other loans are 1x for £33 pm and one for £70pm! With a good salary coming in. And no defaults for either of us, ever- just the suspicion we’ve been inappropriately black marked by mini finance!?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,452 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    If there was something there by minifinance, you would see it. Try the other agency, Equifax (Clearscore)
  • PB2018
    PB2018 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Right- just done the Clearscore and theres nothing -ve showing at all, all the details are correct and bizarrely no credit searches have been done!!; Im beginning to wonder whether Barclays just didnt want the business at 0% ( periods of longer than 12 months repayment had a %age interest).
    We have complained so I’ll see what the Barclays underwriter says if her ever rings back.
    Thanks very much for your help
  • Don!!!8217;t expect any form of compensation from your complaint.

Try another provider. They just don!!!8217;t want you as customers
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,452 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    PB2018 wrote: »
    Right- just done the Clearscore and theres nothing -ve showing at all, all the details are correct and bizarrely no credit searches have been done!!; Im beginning to wonder whether Barclays just didnt want the business at 0% ( periods of longer than 12 months repayment had a %age interest).
    We have complained so I’ll see what the Barclays underwriter says if her ever rings back.
    Thanks very much for your help

I agree - it just sounds like they didn't want your custom. I doubt that a complaint will change anything.

I had this a few years ago with Capital one. I figured in the end that my credit history was just not what they were looking for - it was too good!
  • Every single company uses a slightly different algorithm when making a decision on whether to grant credit. If you both have strong credit histories then i wouldn't worry about this too much. Im sure most other banks will happily grant you this loan as they will use a different algorithm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure