Can I clear a default off my credit score??

Options

Comments

• marliepanda
    Options
    Ficofuture wrote: »
    The best outcome is you pay in full on the understanding they REMOVE the default

Yes it can be done, but it wont be a quick phone call to the first person you speak to at the company, but if you are astute and professional, and get to deal with someone with the authority to agree such terms, it can be done

Unlikely. A credit report is supposed to be an accurate depiction of credit history. If they removed defaults because someone paid many years later, thats not an accurate depiction.

I agree with the post above you, ask for credentials before taking financial advice, such as yours, on this forum. What a wise poster that was...
  • Ficofuture
    Options
    From experience, it can be done

Just because you dont know how to do it doesnt make it "unlikely"

And if you had a default on your file, and could get it removed.......you would
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 September 2017 at 11:47AM
    Options
    From experience, it can be done

Just because you dont know how to do it doesnt make it "unlikely"

And if you had a default on your file, and could get it removed.......you would

It can be done. Just like winning the lottery can be done that doesnt mean youre likely to win the lottery though.

@ OP i think you need to accept its there. You can try as ficofuture suggests but it is extremely unlikely and your argument will be weak, youre appealing to their goodwill. It took me 12 months to get a default removed due to fraudulent activity.

They have to follow a specific process which you can sometimes catch them out on but it doesnt seem to happen as much.

ETA my situation was i apparently took credit out with a catalogue company when i was 17. Clearly didnt have a leg to stand on but then it wasnt a quick and easy process to remove.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @ ficofuture

Why did you delete your post?

Are you finding out its not that likely to get a legitimate default removed?
  • marliepanda
    Options
    (post removed before I quoted it...)

The irony of that last sentence...

If you removed a default, then Mr o2 came along and gave you a new phone contract which you defaulted on again, Im sure theyd be quite cross that your old phone contract default was removed because of how friendly you are...
  • Ficofuture
    Options
    I didn't remove it, the gods did....

It can be done, period

It's not easy, it may be judged as wrong, but I have done it, and would again

And I would grin massively if Mr 02 was "very cross" with me
  • Ficofuture
    Options
    Sorry

Quite cross
  • Ficofuture
    Options
    One persons experience does not make something extremely unlikely, and having a negative attitude means you are doomed before you start.........if you try being positive and make your best efforts, it can be done, and you have nothing to lose by trying.
  • andrewd28
    Options
    Haha thanks everyone. I'm going to phone the company nevertheless and try and speak to some sort of management. Only issue have now is remembering who the debt was with! It was initially with Orange mobile and was passed on. All I can remember is I'm sure they were based in Scotland and the company name they used consisted of only 3 letters. PDA PDI ..::: it's literally just come to me! PRA GROUP WAHOO
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ask for credentials before seeking any kind of financial advice on here.

Welcome to MSE - May i please ask your credentials .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure