Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Jet2.com ONLY

Comments

• NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Tyzap wrote: »
    Hi speedypeavey,

Put your flight details into a couple of flight delay calculators such as Bott & Co or EUclaim to see if they think you have a claim.

It will indicate if it's worth pursuing.

IMO, however, although you were scheduled to be on the same aircraft, which had the technical fault, the runway and airport were subsequently closed. This would then be classed as an extraordinary circumstance, so no compensation due.

Good luck.

I agree, I originally thought that you may well qualify, but if the airport was subsequently put on lockdown then there's not much wriggle room.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • pcyuljr
    pcyuljr Posts: 115 Forumite
    edited 26 August 2017 at 2:08PM
    pcyuljr wrote: »
    Hello,

I have previously claimed compensation for my parents, so I am not a complete newbie. However, my own situation is quite different and I would appreciate any discussion/advice around it.

On Saturday 17th June my departure time from Manchester Airport to Thessalonika (Greece) was delayed for 2hrs 50 minutes. This was due to the aircraft, when we had all boarded, getting a burst rear tyre as we were taxing due to debris around the aircraft. We had to all get off and the company get another aircraft.

We were due to land in Greece between 6pm and 6.30pm.

After the delayed departure, we arrived at Thessaloniki (late obviously) but were then unable to land due to the wind. The pilot did attempt one landing, but aborted and then decided to not try again. As such we were diverted to Athens airport, finally landing with doors open at about 10pm. Thus 4 hrs later and at a different airport than we should have done.

We were put up overnight in Athens by Jet2 and the following day, flew back to Thessaloniki finally arriving with doors open at 1.40pm.

Thus we arrived at our correct airport about 19hrs after we should have done due to a mixture of issues.

Can anybody please provide some guidance or thoughts on these various issues as overall we lost a day of our holiday. Both of us also have travel insurance.

(Of note we were also delayed 2hrs upon returning, but that's an aside...I think)

Many thanks.

To provide an update to this;

Jet2, unsurprisingly, rejected my claim, stating EC.

I then submitted the paperwork to the CAA who have now replied stating they do believe I am entitled to compensation and that they have informed the airline of this. However, they then state that Jet2 are still refusing compensation.

I appreciate the CAA are seen as a bit of a lame duck on these threads. However, I am now planning on taking the case to court. Surely the CAA judgement will be strong support for my claim and thus provide it with credibility and legitimacy?

I'm working through Vauban's guide in going through the MCOL process currently and would appreciate any hints or tips.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    To provide an update to this;

Jet2, unsurprisingly, rejected my claim, stating EC.

I then submitted the paperwork to the CAA who have now replied stating they do believe I am entitled to compensation and that they have informed the airline of this. However, they then state that Jet2 are still refusing compensation.

I appreciate the CAA are seen as a bit of a lame duck on these threads. However, I am now planning on taking the case to court. Surely the CAA judgement will be strong support for my claim and thus provide it with credibility and legitimacy?

I'm working through Vauban's guide in going through the MCOL process currently and would appreciate any hints or tips.

Not sure what hints and tips are needed - it's basically all (or mostly) there. If you've got specific questions, I'm sure we will all try to help.

On the CAA question, it makes a mockery of "enforcement" that they find in your favour then sit on their hands. As to whether their view will hold any sway in a court, well it can't do any harm. But judges tend to be quite independently minded and argue that, if there is a legal dispute, it's they - rather than the CAA - that's better placed to take a definitive view.
  • pcyuljr
    pcyuljr Posts: 115 Forumite
    Vauban wrote: »
    Not sure what hints and tips are needed - it's basically all (or mostly) there. If you've got specific questions, I'm sure we will all try to help.

On the CAA question, it makes a mockery of "enforcement" that they find in your favour then sit on their hands. As to whether their view will hold any sway in a court, well it can't do any harm. But judges tend to be quite independently minded and argue that, if there is a legal dispute, it's they - rather than the CAA - that's better placed to take a definitive view.

Hey, thanks for the response. Your guide is terrific, I just noted it was last revised in November 2014, so nearly three years ago. As such, I was just asking in case anything else (case law or processes etc) had changed in that time.

The CAA must find it quite embarrassing about their lack of influence or enforcement powers.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite

The CAA must find it quite embarrassing about their lack of influence or enforcement powers.

I'm not sure that they do, there have been a number of resolution services over the last few years, resolver and finally the waste of time ombudsman scheme, there's simply no alternative to a court room, or a payout :(
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Recently got on board flight lS943 MAN-LCA everything went smooth however on takeoff we were gaining speed on the run way the pilot aborted take off to our suprise fire engines on there way out as we taxid back to the runway, Were then told the fire indicator had come on for the left engine but no fire were then sat in the airport for three hours waiting for our next flight out all in all were delayed about 5.

Would this be something they could get away with extraordinary cases?
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 31 August 2017 at 9:23PM
    In a word NO. Put your flight details in to bottonline and EuClaim and see what they say. If they say you are due compensation google and download Vaubans Guide, all explained in the guide. What date was the flight?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,084
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Something like this is a technical fault, so not an EC. Depending on the aircraft involved, most likely due the age of the aircraft/wear and tear.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Recently got on board flight lS943 MAN-LCA everything went smooth however on takeoff we were gaining speed on the run way the pilot aborted take off to our suprise fire engines on there way out as we taxid back to the runway, Were then told the fire indicator had come on for the left engine but no fire were then sat in the airport for three hours waiting for our next flight out all in all were delayed about 5.

Would this be something they could get away with extraordinary cases?

Further info here...

http://avherald.com/h?article=4acc315e&opt=257
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • We were also on flight LS943 MAN-LCA on 9/8/17 with an arrival delay of 4 hours. I've posted a letter today (signed for delivery so they can't say they haven't received it!) using the MSE template and included our boarding passes. From everything I've read, they really shouldn't be able to say it was 'extraordinary circumstances' as it was a technical fault on the aircraft. I'm also aware that this is the 3rd time this particular problem has occurred on that aircraft (G-LSAB) this year alone so I'll be pretty annoyed if they try to wriggle out of it. There's a video of the aborted take off which is pretty exciting stuff. Wasn't too thrilled at the time though! I'll post with any results (although from what I gather, that could take some time....)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure