NowTV box

Comments

• I agree there isnt an ITVplayer on there but thought it could somehow be uploaded? I also agree the FB is rubbish!
    Failure is only someone elses judgement.
    Without change there would be no butterflies.
    If its important to you, you'll find a way - if not, you'll find an excuse ! ~ Easy to say when you take money out of the equation!
  • steveE2
    steveE2 Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    Sky are hoping to sell the boxes off cheap, and get people to buy the subscriptions. Did I read somewhere you can now buy some Sky channels for £5 a month?

Yes 10 channels available
    A ten channel package is available for an introductory price of £4.99 per month (for those who subscribe before 31st March 2014) and this includes Sky 1, Sky Living, Sky Atlantic, Comedy Central, Discovery Channel, Disney, Fox, Gold, MTV, Sky Arts and abc studios. The channels are available either live, or via catch-up TV, though some individual shows may not be available due to rights restrictions.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6132-now-tv-expansion-adds-entertainment-bundle.html
  • Now onto my questions:

Is there really any justification to upgrade to HD? I mean is there that much difference in viewing allround or am I better off just staying with the normal Sky+ box and saving money?

I don't know what tv you have but we bought an HD lcd tv last year (finally!) and really notice the difference in picture quality when there's an HD broadcast. I think that if I had to choose (and we are doing) I'd give up Sky Sports but keep HD - there are freeview HD channels and I'm sure someone can point out costs and such, but quality-wise it's now HD all the way! :)
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Would be much better if it also had ITV Player and 4OD on as well but I bet it would be a lot more than £9.99 if it did.
    I noticed it says 4OD coming soon so just ordered one as I agree it will probably be more than the cost now

f579f9f2da26477c9d2cf039a9d77378.jpg
    It's not just about the money
  • cbrpaul
    cbrpaul Posts: 756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i bought this about 6 weeks ago , i had a free movie pass for a month , and have to say it had some good movies , and good quality HD

Sky sports for £9.99 a day on the other hand is not so good ,, the live football is not good atall , i have fibre, so its not my conections , and all the HD movies are perfect !!

I complained and got my £9.99 sports pass money refunded.

Now my movie pass has expired i have not renewed it , the now tv box has not been switched on since .

If i want to watch a latest movie i simply use Itunes for £3.50 no extra equipment needed !!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 November 2013 at 12:32PM
    cbrpaul wrote: »
    i bought this about 6 weeks ago , i had a free movie pass for a month , and have to say it had some good movies , and good quality HD

Sky sports for £9.99 a day on the other hand is not so good ,, the live football is not good atall , i have fibre, so its not my conections , and all the HD movies are perfect !!

I complained and got my £9.99 sports pass money refunded.

Now my movie pass has expired i have not renewed it , the now tv box has not been switched on since .

If i want to watch a latest movie i simply use Itunes for £3.50 no extra equipment needed !!!

You couldn't have had HD as the current NowTV box does not support HD apart from iPlayer.
  • PDC
    PDC Posts: 805 Forumite
    Ordered one a couple of months ago. Good for getting iPlayer on a tv that isn't set up for it.

Thought it was faulty when it arrived but turned out the batteries were flat in the one that arrived. As mentioned you can get a months free viewing if you look for a link too.

You can also login and watch from a laptop when you are signed up too.

For a tenner for the box its not bad value at all.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We bought our unit mainly for the opportunity of the occasional sports day pass. The i-Player is a useful extra.

However, the sports pass is outrageously expensive and cricket coverage at least is poor quality. We're not interested in the football and can usually find tennis and some other sports on a foreign station.

Expensive? Yes, a Test match costs potentially £50 - or in Sky-speak £49.95 :(. That's too much for those of us who remember when we could watch on BBC before it was restricted to the minority who watch on Sky.

Poor quality? Yes. The 'commentary' is no such thing. Instead of commentary, they have occasional comments from star presenters but nothing like the professionals on the radio.

I thought I could do my F1 trick - watch on a foreign station (in our case Swiss TV) and listen to Test Match Special. This doesn't work. Because it is streaming, the visuals show later than the radio sound, typically about half a minute when I tried, so the pictures were playing catch up with the sound.

I've watched a few films at the introductory rate of £2.95 a month. I'm not sure that we'll continue when the price increases. We can watch films in English on some foreign stations without additional charge so will probably be satisfied with Freeview and our existing dishes plus occasional use of Now TV.
  • Froggitt
    Froggitt Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    Box arrived, set it up, easy peasy lemon squeezy.
    illegitimi non carborundum
  • Just been to Morrisons, they have a deal on cans of Carling lager, 10 cans for £8.00 and it includes a Sky Sports day pass code.
    £1.99 cheaper than a day pass and you get 10 cans of lager.
    Bring on United v Arsenal this Sunday.
    Just hope my Nowtv takes the code.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family