New Guide Discussion: Everyone needs ESTA for US travel

Comments

• dfurn
    dfurn Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Does anyone know what the document is called that I need from the border when I pass from Canada to the US by land?
    Appears to be I94W according to here

A completed Form I-94W, Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver Arrival/Departure Record (green form), is required from all Visa Waiver Program (VWP) visitors to the United States at land ports of entry.

Just to note for those who might be traveling from Canada to the US by train. My family and I took the train from Vancouver BC to Seattle WA in August 2012. We did not need to fill in an I-94W form (as I was expecting). The US CBP person at the Vancouver rail station had a fingerprint scanner just like at US airports and we entered the US without any problem. We did have to fill in a US Customs form of course which was collected by CBP agents who got on the train just as it was due to enter the US.

So that's one land crossing into the US where you don't need a I-94W but I suspect you do need an ESTA (as we do). I didn't think to ask. They were really nice and friendly as well by the way.
  • dfurn wrote: »
    So that's one land crossing into the US where you don't need a I-94W but I suspect you do need an ESTA

You don't need esta for a land crossing.
  • Has anyone experience of applying for Esta if they are British but were born abroad? We've looked on the US site and have seen a reference to being born in Ireland but nothing else. My father was in the British army when I was born so I have a British passport and have lived in the UK for most of my life.
  • Replying to my own question. We booked a holiday today and I came back to complete the ESTA application. Knowing of someone else who has to go to the US embassy I was surprised to get an immediate approval. :j
  • dfurn
    dfurn Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You don't need esta for a land crossing.

What I should have said in my post was that is one land crossing where an ESTA sufficed, and we didn't have to have an I94-W, as is stated elsewhere in this thread.
  • lgs6753
    lgs6753 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hoping to travel to LAX in late Feb, and about to book flights. I have a US visa dated March 1979 valid 'Indefinitely' for 'Multiple' entry. Obviously it's stamped in an expired passport.
    Do I need to apply for an ESTA?

Thanks...
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yes you do. The indefinite visas are no longer valid.
  • lauradora
    lauradora Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    should I be expecting my ESTAs in the post??

The bloomin website wont retrieve my application but the payment has cleared off my credit card :question:
    On a mission
  • Wammer
    Wammer Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    No, nothing comes in the post or by email. The details are held electronically so you don't even need a copy. It is useful to have a note of the reference number should you wish to change any details, but you can access using your name, DOB and passport number.
  • lauradora
    lauradora Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Thankyou wammer. I am very concerned as when I try to access my application the website says that they cannot find my application, nor does the group ID work. I did save the information originally but of course I cannot find it now :mad:
    The payment has of course come off of the credit card!
    On a mission
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport