Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    • 7,737Posts
    • 12,314Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news (last 2 weeks)
    • 9th Jun 15, 7:25 AM
    Green, ethical, energy issues in the news (last 2 weeks) 9th Jun 15 at 7:25 AM
    MSE Insert:

We've seen some debate on this thread about the relevance of some posts to the topic.

To ensure the thread remains on topic for forumites wanting to discuss the latest news we're asking that all posts contain a link to the news you're discussing.

For the purposes of this thread the "news" needs to be within the last two weeks.

Back to Martyn1981's original post.

---

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread for posting general news items that may be of interest.

PV and the 'Solar in the news' thread attract a lot of interest, so here's a thread for all the other goings on.

Mart.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 09-10-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Page 85
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 14th Nov 18, 6:22 PM
    • 2,181 Posts
    • 3,088 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Seems that Sark might want to look at renewables, from an article in The Guardian:

Fifty years on, the relationship between SEL and the Sark authorities has soured. The new role of the independent Sark electricity price control commissioner was created in 2016 and he decided that islanders were paying too much for their electricity and ordered SEL to reduce its tariff from 66p/kWh to 52p.
    But the chief executive of SEL, David Gordon-Brown, said the company cannot afford to make the cut. “The last thing I want to do is turn off the electricity just before Christmas but I am not going to have any choice,” he said.
    He claimed SEL had already lost £65,000 this year because the island’s economy was struggling and businesses were closing, and he accused the Chief Pleas of wanting to force him to sell the company. “I’m not prepared to do that,” he said.

66p per kWh! He can't make money at that rate and complains about being forced to sell. Cake and eat it springs to mind. Presumably there must be covenants on the properties that prevent the installation of solar panels as at that unit rate a PV/battery solution would make sense.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 14th Nov 18, 6:37 PM
    • 7,737 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    66p per kWh! He can't make money at that rate and complains about being forced to sell. Cake and eat it springs to mind. Presumably there must be covenants on the properties that prevent the installation of solar panels as at that unit rate a PV/battery solution would make sense.
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    Flippin eck. Just read that article and can't believe it. I'm sure I've seen a figure of around $0.30/kWh for island nations running off diesel. If they can't cut their price to 52p then something must be wrong.

I was going to say this as a joke, but actually I'm now being serious - someone needs to tweet Elon Musk!

He rose to the challenge of S. Australia's need for a monster batt, and Tesla have provided emergency PV and batts to loads of hospitals in Puerto Rico to get them operational again.

Hawaii are getting PV and batts at about $0.13/kWh, and Sark whilst not as southerly as Hawaii, is still well located for PV gen, and I assume(?) being an island has relatively good wind generation too.

PV + wind + Powerpacks + diesel/gas generator for emergency, got to be a fraction of the 52p price and a great advert/proving ground for a quick and easy RE case (given the relatively small population of 500).

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 14th Nov 18, 8:47 PM
    • 2,181 Posts
    • 3,088 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I assume(?) being an island has relatively good wind generation too..
    Originally posted by Martyn1981

Yep. I've sailed in those waters and there's normally wind. Mind you, round there the tidal resource is even better if not scary as you watch a rock pinnacle slide past your hull rapidly only 20 feet away!
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 15th Nov 18, 8:13 AM
    • 7,737 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    This is an example of funny irony, but of course a sad story overall.

US oil firm's bid to drill for oil in Arctic hits snag: a lack of sea ice

Plans to establish the first oil drilling operation in US Arctic waters have hit an ironic snag – a lack of sea ice caused by rapid warming in the region.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 15th Nov 18, 6:31 PM
    • 7,737 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    UK's backup power subsidies are illegal, European court rules

The UK’s scheme for ensuring power supplies during the winter months has been suspended after a ruling by the European court of justice that it constitutes illegal state aid.

Payments to energy firms under the £1bn capacity market scheme will be halted until the government can win permission from the European commission to restart it.

The scheme subsidises owners of coal, gas and other power stations so the plants are ready to ensure that electricity for businesses and homes is available at peak times in winter.
    The company believes that the capacity market favours fossil fuel generation at the expense of alternative ways of securing electricity supplies, such as “demand side reduction”, where companies reduce electricity demand at times of need.
    Richard Black, director of the ECIU thinktank, said the ruling should be seen as an opportunity for the government to reshape market away from fossil fuels and towards battery storage and cleaner technologies.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 15th Nov 18, 6:41 PM
    • 7,737 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Wales approves a whopper PV and storage deployment:

Welsh government approves near 50MW solar and storage park

And BNEF expects storage costs to half over the next 12yrs:

Energy storage economics being ‘transformed’ with 52% drop in costs up to 2030 - BNEF

The global energy storage market will grow to a cumulative 942GW/2,857GWh capacity by 2040, attracting US$1.2 trillion in investment, caused by sharply decreasing battery costs, according to a Bloomberg NEF (BNEF) report.

BNEF’s latest ‘Long-Term Energy Storage Outlook’ projected that battery costs would drop by another 52% by 2030. Importantly, the firm claimed that this would “transform the economic case for batteries in both the vehicle and the electricity sector”.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 16th Nov 18, 8:08 AM
    • 7,737 Posts
    • 12,314 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    That's not a wind turbine, this is a wind turbine!
    I thought the 2.3MW WT near me was big, but the Aussie's are going big, big, bigger:

Vestas To Install First 4.2 Megawatt Wind Turbines In Australia

I assume there are issues over transportation of blades etc for giant on-shore WT's, but 4.2MW WT makes me giggle when I think of the oldest farms now being decommissioned with 20kW turbines.

• gefnew
    • By gefnew 18th Nov 18, 10:30 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    gefnew
    How 'miniature suns' could provide cheap, clean energy
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46219656
    Seems that it could help in the mix for the future.
    gefnew
    • EricMears
    • By EricMears 18th Nov 18, 12:40 PM
    • 2,364 Posts
    • 4,132 Thanks
    EricMears
    The same article could have been written 60 (yes sixty) years ago when ISTR that "ZETA" was within ten years of providing limitless power generation. Alas, the project's timeline has slipped a little
    N Derbyshire.
    4kwp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 18th Nov 18, 2:16 PM
    • 2,951 Posts
    • 1,262 Thanks
    NigeWick
    How 'miniature suns' could provide cheap, clean energy
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46219656
    Seems that it could help in the mix for the future.
    gefnew
    Originally posted by gefnew
    We've got cheap clean energy with wind and solar generation. Add that to batteries and we can go FF & Nuclear free within a decade if the politicians stopped taking money from and subsidising FF & Nuclear generators.

Miniature suns may be good for space travel though.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • gefnew
    • By gefnew 18th Nov 18, 6:48 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    gefnew
    Yes but people said that pv wind batts would not work,
    the cost was to high but tech moves quickly.
    cheers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,313Users online

Martin's Twitter