Car written off, v5 is out of date

I moved house a few months ago and although I updated my address with my insurance and on my driving license, I never got round to updating the address on my v5.

I have a postal redirect from my old address, so still receive any post sent there

Now I've been in an accident (100% the other party's fault) and the car is written off, and currently with a recovery company. I suspect it will be destroyed as the vehicle that hit me did a pretty good job of that to start with. As I didn't have comprehensive insurance the cost of recovery and storage is on me until the claim is settled, so I want to get it dealt with as soon as possible to avoid the £20 per day fee.

Am I likely to get in any trouble for not updating the V5 sooner, or will there be issues with the claim if it's noticed that the document I give the scrap yard has a different address to my insurance?

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    No, you'll be ok.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Surely the cost of recovery and storage is on the third party if you're not at fault.
  • Yes, but it's a matter of paying now and claiming it back. Because it was a big accident with lots of vehicles involved and the driver at fault is foreign I've been told to expect a few months before it's all settled
  • jaloopa wrote: »
    Yes, but it's a matter of paying now and claiming it back. Because it was a big accident with lots of vehicles involved and the driver at fault is foreign I've been told to expect a few months before it's all settled

Who recovered it? £20 sounds like the police.

By paying the recovery fee now minimises your loss.
  • It's a private recovery company AFAIK. The letter says they recovered it on behalf of the police, and that they're an authorised contractor for vehicle recovery.

My main worry is that the discrepancy on the addresses might cause problems. I'm going to go tomorrow and pay the recovery fee, but as part of the claim I apparently need to get it assessed in terms of repair costs (pretty sure that will be an open and shut case as the entire rear is destroyed, but it seems I need a mechanic to confirm)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure