Halifax Clarity card

Comments

• Alexd52
    Alexd52 Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    kl9952 wrote: »
    I also noticed that and had a "Chat" with them, they say those Terms and Conditions section B2.2 and section B5 is "default information" and doesn’t apply to the Clarity card.
    aurigacap wrote: »
    I checked in branch and they confirmed that from 27 February there will be fees both (NB) for cash withdrawals and other transactions in foreign currency. That is the meaning of the highlighted paragraph in section A5 of the guide to changes in terms and conditions. Forget the N/As in the preceding paragraph and the complete absence of any reference to new foreign exchange fees in the 2 page summary. Burying bad news is the name of the game these days.

This card holder will be winding up his Clarity account, though, of course, there is no guarantee that the few alternatives without foreign exchange fees will remain.

aurigacap, please see quoted post above yours, there are also others that have confirmed that the clarity card will continue with no no sterling transaction fees, all is still good
  • I stand corrected.... and am relieved. I have posted a more fulsome apology in the thread on Halifax exchange rates, where I quote the provisions of the Credit Card Agreement which prompted my earlier, erroneous contribution. Ill - informed Branch staff merely confirmed my unfounded suspicions.
  • tgon
    tgon Posts: 710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    My first read of the new T&C’s immediately saw a new foreign purchase transaction fee. Read the booklet section which didn’t seem to make it clear or implicit, to me anyway. Halifax sources have different understandings. Then read mixed views here.

Transaction fee on foreign currency purchases or ATM cash withdrawals? Must be either yes or no, surely.
  • Herbyme
    Herbyme Posts: 720 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I too have read the letter and leaflets and been utterly baffled. Why say there isn't a fee (N/A) and then say you could incur both those (N/A) fees on one transaction??
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I too have read the letter and leaflets and been utterly baffled. Why say there isn't a fee (N/A) and then say you could incur both those (N/A) fees on one transaction??

I really don't see why people are finding this so confusing? If you use it aboard there is a foreign transaction fee but that fee happens to be zero.

It's no different when you get a credit card with a 0% interest offer. The credit agreement will say that the balance will incur interest but the rate of interest is 0%.
  • tgon
    tgon Posts: 710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Takmon wrote: »
    I really don't see why people are finding this so confusing? If you use it aboard there is a foreign transaction fee but that fee happens to be zero.

I cant find anywhere, letter or booklet, that the foreign transaction fee is zero. In section A5 of the letter, non-sterling transactions is "N/A" but a highlighted box underneath it states "a single transaction may attract more than one fee. For example, for a cash withdrawal in a foreign currency we charge a cash transaction fee and a non-sterling transaction fee."

This seems to imply an added transaction "charge" and contradicts "Not Applicable". Section B2.3 is mainly about exchange rates but reconfirms an added fee (in bold text) and redirects back to A5. What the cost that fee is not stated.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Credit where credit is due... (no pun intentended) , but a compliment follows below.

Initially, and like Caroline and others who said...

...I too thought this a particularly inept and unneccesarily complicated way to communicate with customers. As I said on the other MSE thread at

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76725454#post76725454

"A letter and two lengthy annexes with triple cross-referencing confuse me... On balance, I think it's still a cost effective way to pay holiday and currency bills? But it's ironic that they call it a "Clarity Card"!

Maybe they've never heard of the Plain English Campaign or Crystal Mark for written communication"
    ;
    http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/services/crystal-mark.html

I also used their online feedback form... and

Hey Presto! I got a text and then a phonecall from a charming woman in Halifax's Dunfermline office, called Charlene Coutts (good name for a banker. eh?) to assure me that all complaints were taken seriously, and summarised up to Board level. And I hadn't really complained.

So ten out of ten for customer care. I wish all financial providers were as responsive. Reminds me of when the Grand daughter complained about a rare instance of poor service and a staff training gap in one of their branches; and got a noce apology and a £50 compensation bung!

So thanks Halifax.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    tgon wrote: »
    I cant find anywhere, letter or booklet, that the foreign transaction fee is zero. In section A5 of the letter, non-sterling transactions is "N/A" but a highlighted box underneath it states "a single transaction may attract more than one fee. For example, for a cash withdrawal in a foreign currency we charge a cash transaction fee and a non-sterling transaction fee."

This seems to imply an added transaction "charge" and contradicts "Not Applicable". Section B2.3 is mainly about exchange rates but reconfirms an added fee (in bold text) and redirects back to A5. What the cost that fee is not stated.

Yea the fee isn't applicable so if it doesn't apply then it must be zero.

But you seem to think they would charge a fee but not specify what it was?. If that happened then would have to refund everyone anyone once the complaints started to come in.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AlexMac wrote: »
    "A letter and two lengthy annexes with triple cross-referencing confuse me... On balance, I think it's still a cost effective way to pay holiday and currency bills? But it's ironic that they call it a "Clarity Card"!

Maybe they've never heard of the Plain English Campaign or Crystal Mark for written communication"
    ;
    http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/services/crystal-mark.html
    The Halifax gobbledygook claims to be a Winning Document approved by the Plain English Commission ! I wonder what a Losing Document would look like ?
    facepalm_32.png
    It sounds very official, but far from being a government organisation it turns out to be just a moniker used by a commercial company, clearest.co.uk

The real Plain English Campaign would never approve the absolute nonsense that Halifax is putting out.
  • Joe9090
    Joe9090 Posts: 201 Forumite
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    The Halifax gobbledygook claims to be a Winning Document approved by the Plain English Commission ! I wonder what a Losing Document would look like ?

In the interests of 'Clarity' and transparency the link above are current T&C's and not the ones that come into effect on 27th February 2020:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure