Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 4,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Morning NG, your accounting methods make my head spin, but if it works for you then :D (and as I have just posted a very complicated description of my thought process on my own diary, think I may be in a bit of a glass house....:rotfl:)
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You sound very on top of things NG! And a great way to do Goodwood too! (DH and I are/were thinking about volunteering - you camp and do a six-hour shift each day but get free passes :D ). Not sure we've given it too much thought yet though.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi south coast, I know it’s way over complicated :rotfl: I’ll go and have a look at you diary now I think!

Hi vix, that’s interesting and a much cheaper way of doing it especially if your are going the whole weekend. Let us know if you go and I’ll give you a wave :D

Arghhh, stress out tonight! Mil has rung dh and wants him to take her to spain in three weeks time to see her brother (she’s Spanish) who has Parkinson’s. She can’t take fil and clearly his two other brothers won’t go. Apparently elder brother (no kids, mortgage free, non stressful job, plenty of money) is looking at flights to book for her and dh to go soon- before asking him of course. In exactly three weeks he is supposed to be relocating the new factory in the midlands to London.

Mil can’t wait longer than three weeks as he might not remember who she is by then and dh said ages ago he would go at some point with her so now feels guilty/obliged. It will be for at least a week and the timing couldn’t be worse. Younger brother is an Uber driver so I would have thought has a bit more flexibility.

I’m leaving it to dh to decide what to do and saving my moaning for here :rotfl::rotfl:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Work has been very stressful this week, especially for dh. He has told his mum that he won’t be able to take her to Spain imminently but will do later in the year, she’s going anyway though. He feels bad but the timing couldn’t be worse with work.

He’s now looking for a new delivery driver after our lovely but elderly guy wrote off his car on the way home last night, luckily he’s fine but he won’t be back driving again. It’s all happening at the moment!

Still today has been a good day, I’ve had a very nice posh breakfast with friends, it was expensive but a posh breakfast is still cheaper than an average dinner out :D £18 spent including tip. I’ve also spent on a couple of c@th kidston purses in the sale for birthday presents for dd and a friend, half price then another 10% off and free delivery, all from the birthday pot.

Not much to report, I’m hanging on for payday even though it’s a different day/date every month which is very annoying. As it stands at the moment this months op will be slightly higher than was planned and that was quite stretching :T
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Options
    Today I went out for lunch for best friends birthday (part 2:o) as planned and I treated her to lunch at prezz@ £26 for both of us for 1&1/2 drinks , starters and mains each- pretty good :D

Also got myself some £1land cleanser and moisturisers as I’ve run out of everything and tried their day cream recently and it’s really good, so £5 spent on everything else they do that I normally use.

Dhs new hsb@ account is open and switched so I’m eagerly waiting for a switching bonus so I can op it.

Still hanging in with the food budget and we won’t starve just yet! I’m managing so much better with the budget due to spending so much time in the kitchen. I’m not meal planning as such , more in reverse really - seeing what’s a good price and working around it, for example Tuesday night was going to be chicken curry (frozen chicken breasts) but I came across some very reduced potatoes so I did lots of roast spuds and a quick “roast dinner” with frozen veg. Normally I’m too lazy for this after work but it’s big savings day after day and we are eating better for it even if it’s not too fancy :)
  • newgirly
    Options
    Broken nights sleep due to tiptoeing returners in the early hours, one of whom is on the sofa still, luckily it’s “sleepy tommy“ so the wallpaper stripping can be continued around him and he won’t wake up, I once hoovered him when I found him amongst a load of crisps one morning, he never woke up :rotfl:

Decision made on paint colour, overtly olive on the chimney breast and the cheapest off white I can source everywhere else. It was half price in wilk@ yesterday and they didn’t have that colour and it couldn’t be ordered online :( it now full price and back in stock, what a coincidence!

No spend weekend planned, not for dh though who has been to the bakers round the corner to buy a £2 sandwich loaf as it’s a bit nicer than the white m&s sandwich loaf I bought yesterday! To be fair he shouldn’t be expected to slum it with m&s bread :rotfl:
  • newgirly
    Options
    Very boring day today, mostly ironing and feeling miserable about my lack of ideas to earn extra to op at the moment. After Xmas I always have a flurry of mse extra cash earning and savings then it gets harder to find ideas to earn and cutting back gets harder the longer you do it as more stuff creeps along you need to pay for that can’t wait. It’s only January still too, I can’t give up just yet :rotfl:

Off to check tcb and main account for any extra that may have magically appeared and perhaps read some frugal blogs.
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    ‘Sleepy Tommy’ made me lol!

Remember it’s a marathon not a sprint - it’s hard when the first flurry of motivation wanes, but you’ve got to ‘just keep swimming’.... that’s why I have a repetitive list of all the daily things I do on my diary - it reminds me that I am achieving things every day.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• newgirly
    Options
    Morning vix, I feel like it’s more of a sprint at the moment as I don’t want to extend the term :o think I just need to get settled into in to a new low spending routine so it’s normal (again) and not hard work. Keeping a daily check list is a good idea though , I shall start :D

The downstairs in a mess, dh is happier stripping the walls on his own - hooray :rotfl: nearly finished now and just one wall in the hall left to do. I was hoping to get him to the cinema later for a rest.

Today’s plans:

- try and clean up downstairs hopefully

- cinema

- post signature paperwork to HSBC

- check if I can log on my new account there too

- cook up what might go to waste in fridge for the week

- work out daily planned budget left until 10th feb :eek:
  • newgirly
    Options
    We didn’t get to the cinema, yesterday but everything is ready for the builder to start tomorrow. It’s a bigger job than expected as some of the walls need a bit of plastering. It’s been years since we did anything in that room except paint white, I’m very happy that it’s going to get done this year and without messing with the op’s :D

Bit of food prep to do again today for the week, I’m trying to get back into eating less, I’ve been very mse over Xmas not wasting anything naughty leftover :o Ive put on a couple of pounds in the last few weeks and want to lose a stone to get to goal weight.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback