Won’t sell me car as I don’t want finance

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    waamo wrote: »
    Can you not purchase it with finance then cancel the finance (and pay it off with your savings) within the cooling off period?
    ^ This.

End of.
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    There are people who simply do not want credit, however short term, for religious or ideological reasons. Is there not a Human Rights case to be argued?

Even if the dealer is behaving legally, it would be reasonable and polite for them to advertise the car as "finance sale only". Not that car dealers ever cared about reason and politeness!
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    jimbo6977 wrote: »
    There are people who simply do not want credit, however short term, for religious or ideological reasons. Is there not a Human Rights case to be argued?

Even if the dealer is behaving legally, it would be reasonable and polite for them to advertise the car as "finance sale only". Not that car dealers ever cared about reason and politeness!

But wouldn't that discriminate against those with bad credit rating but have the cash?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    konark wrote: »
    Perhaps the manufacturer of this car made others identical to it which you could purchase from more closely-located outlets that actually want to shift metal rather than extract commission.

Shifting metal doesnt pay the bills.

Profit does.

Profit these days on a car sale can be miniscule, therefore they look for profit in add ons, finance and trade in resale.
  • motorguy
    EmmaH337 wrote: »

A car clearly advertised as for sale with a cash price is actually only available on a high rate of finance.
    I’d assume that would be contravening some regulation and that’s why the dealer has told me it had been sold once they found I wasn’t interested in taking their finance.

A dealer doesnt have to do a deal that isnt in their interest.

Have they directly told you that they wont sell you the car because you wont take the finance?

If not, why not ring, ask to speak to the sales manager and explain whats been happening. It may be simple miscommunication in a large dealership.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    unforeseen wrote: »
    But wouldn't that discriminate against those with bad credit rating but have the cash?
    Yes. And there is nothing wrong with that in law.
  • motorguy
    jimbo6977 wrote: »

Has the O/P been told they cant buy the car unless its via finance?

Has the O/P's human rights been violated? ie, are they a member of a group with protected rights?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    Has the O/P's human rights been violated? ie, are they a member of a group with protected rights?
    If the OP can prove that they have genuinely-held religious convictions that would preclude them taking finance, then there might be an outside chance of something sticking on the grounds of religious discrimination. But unless the mere threat of it made the supplier give way, you'd be looking at a very long, expensive and risky legal process.

Islam does have that - but there are many sharia-compatible finance packages on the market, so trying to claim that would be a non-starter so long as there was one available.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    EmmaH337 wrote: »
    Hi MSE,

I hope this is in the right place...

So I am in the market for a used car. I went to see the car I hoped to buy on Thursday this week. All good, slept on it and decided I’d go back to the dealer yesterday (Friday) to buy the car for just over 20k

I rang the dealer first thing Friday morning as it is an hour+ drive and just wanted to make sure the car was definitely still available, on the extreme off chance it was sold between 17:30-20:00 on Thursday night after I left. A different salesman answered and I explained the situation. He kept talking about finance which I had to keep telling him I did not need and I also did not need any ‘extras’ as my family own a car garage, I simply wanted to come pay the 20k and drive away today. I was told the salesman I was dealing with would call me back when he got in.

I received a call at 13:30 to tell me the car had been sold....on Thursday night after I left.

Being a financial fraud investigator for the past 15 years I couldn’t help but feel suspicious. I felt like it was because I didn’t want finance or extras.

I just so happen to have a good work colleague who lives very close to the dealership. He called in to see if the car was still available...and guess what, it is. This was confirmed with the salesman. It is still listed on Autotrader and their website.

This is a large and UK wide dealership by the way.

Has anything illegal occurred here?

Thank you

Perhaps not, but perhaps the dealer is protecting themselves from a possible money laundering incident.
    Whatever vehicle you looked at , I'm sure there are many examples available.
  • motorguy
    edited 20 October 2019 at 10:42AM
    AdrianC wrote: »
    If the OP can prove that they have genuinely-held religious convictions that would preclude them taking finance, then there might be an outside chance of something sticking on the grounds of religious discrimination. But unless the mere threat of it made the supplier give way, you'd be looking at a very long, expensive and risky legal process.

Islam does have that - but there are many sharia-compatible finance packages on the market, so trying to claim that would be a non-starter so long as there was one available.

"IF". Which was my point. We've no evidence they are a member of a protected group or have beliefs which would be protected. Thus we seem to be going down a rabbit hole here on something that doesnt seem to be relevant.

Likewise the O/P has no evidence that hes not being sold the car because he wouldnt take finance.

I'd be ringing the sales manager rather than assuming.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure