Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    PO is resold TT and to many bad reviews on here .
  • dingdong3000
    dingdong3000 Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Man i feel bit cheated.. Just got off the phone to Plusnet retention and they offered 12 month fibre including line rental for 20.5 p/m. (4.01p/m after paid line rental in advance)
  • cashmonger
    cashmonger Posts: 411 Forumite
    Karen747 wrote: »
    Get the HELL out of Dodge

Grab any offer because their base pricing is 18.99 line rental and 10.99 for internet, if you have TV with them you will be ripped off by being asked to pay the remainder of the contract. Their site says 19.99 so that is the max you should negotiate to but quote the deals below and they might move to keep you but I doubt it

So that means you either go with Post Office or NowTV for 10.92 (TopCashBack)

Well I ended up having to pay 1 month of full price plusnet for June but I have gone with post office as after speaking to them on live chat they said there will be no charge to move me over to a new address.

One thing though; how long do you have to wait for that amazon gift card? I have been waiting days and no email. Why does it take so long? I thought it should be automatic. I want to make sure it credits.
  • is this a too good to be true deal?

I'm looking at changing our broadband (Sky contract just ended and going up from £19 to £31 per month) and have noticed a deal on Topcashback for Virgin which seems too good to be true but I can't see the catch.

Down the bottom of the Virgin page on Topcashback there is an extra section of "special deals and vouchers". One of them being offered is "the big bundle" (for ultrafast fibre of 108mbps as well as TV) for £29/month BUT with £250 cashback. Even with the £25 setup fee that would still average just £10.25/month over the 12 month contract - the price then rises after 12 months.

Obviously the usual caveat of cashback not being guaranteed applies but what is the catch here? This is way cheaper than anywhere else.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Virgin need newcomers like you Cash, to replace departers like I'll soon be. £48 for Internet and phone line with more rises to come no doubt. I'm dusting down my old phone line that's strung from the telegraph pole.
  • Thanks for replying bug. Our of interest, is there a hefty leaving fee?
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Once you're out of contract, no fee. Previous years I've called them and got a £7 pm 'loyalty bonus' which puts you back 'in contract' for a year so that's the trick to watch for.
  • No loyalty bonus this time I'm guessing?
  • anotherbob
    anotherbob Posts: 225 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm paying about £40 per month for Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra including phone. I don't pay for any free calls since I don't use my landline to call out. I'm out of contract and I'm looking to save some money.
    I've been with Plusnet for years and have no complaints, except the cost. I also have Plusnet mobile for me and my wife.
    I've looked at the current offers on Moneysavingexpert and they all seem to include a once-only gift of some kind which brings the price down presumably over the length of the first contract? I have a dread of the hassle which seems to be involved when switching providers so I'm trying to work out what the actual cost of these deals is after the influence of the "gift" has gone.
    I know I can't get cable where I live and the Vodafone deal tells me it's not available.
    I'd be grateful for any advice on saving a few quid with minimum fuss.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    anotherbob wrote: »
    I'm paying about £40 per month for Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra including phone. I don't pay for any free calls since I don't use my landline to call out. I'm out of contract and I'm looking to save some money.
    I've been with Plusnet for years and have no complaints, except the cost. I also have Plusnet mobile for me and my wife.
    I've looked at the current offers on Moneysavingexpert and they all seem to include a once-only gift of some kind which brings the price down presumably over the length of the first contract? I have a dread of the hassle which seems to be involved when switching providers so I'm trying to work out what the actual cost of these deals is after the influence of the "gift" has gone.
    I know I can't get cable where I live and the Vodafone deal tells me it's not available.
    I'd be grateful for any advice on saving a few quid with minimum fuss.

They all tend to cost more (sometimes much more) at the end of any discount period. Plusnet are currently charging £24.50 & £27.99 for their two fibre speeds but they'll still go up to whatever full price is once this finishes.

First off I would call Plusnet and see what they can do, otherwise it's looking at changing supplier and possibly doing this everytime the discount ends.

There are some companies that don't do discounts and therefore the price won't change (excepting any annual changes) but they tend to be expensive.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback