Do You Really Need To Pay £xxx's for Dental Work?

Happy new year to everyone firstly, Now to get down to business, I'd like to pick people's brains a bit.... I'm going to pay my dentist a visit soon.... Chances are they will tell me I need this and that done to my teeth etc. Which may not need doing... A bit like going to your car mechanic, and trying to get you to pay for extras that don't need doing.
Do you know of any way to find out if they're telling you you're teeth are worse than they are because they want you to come back to pay for extra dental work?

Thanks,
P

Comments

• brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    If you do not trust your dentist you should be finding another dentist , as trust is vital for you to get the best chance of improving your oral health.

There is absolutely no incentive for a NHS dentist to provide unnecessary treatment , they get paid the same for one or ten fillings if they practice in England or Wales. Indeed they lose money the more treatment they do. It is in their interest and yours to help you make the changes to avoid needing much treatment.

A private dentist should have intra oral cameras and displays to show you the problems in your mouth and should be able to help you make the changes in your diet or cleaning to stop you needing much treatment.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,579
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    consumer23 wrote: »
    Happy new year to everyone firstly, Now to get down to business, I'd like to pick people's brains a bit.... I'm going to pay my dentist a visit soon.... Chances are they will tell me I need this and that done to my teeth etc. Which may not need doing... A bit like going to your car mechanic, and trying to get you to pay for extras that don't need doing.
    Do you know of any way to find out if they're telling you you're teeth are worse than they are because they want you to come back to pay for extra dental work?

Thanks,
    P
    Have you actually experienced this in the past or are you just assuming that a dentist is like a 3rd rate mechanic?
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,072
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You make it sound like a visit to your dentist is a very rare thing?

If that's the case, then you're setting yourself up for a lifetime of mistrust, distress purchases, and failure.

If a visit to your dentist was a regular occurrence, and you built up a trusting relationship with a dentist you had faith in - then there would be no need for such anxiety.

Overall, your teeth would be better, and care of them ultimately cheaper, in both financial costs and biological cost.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • consumer23 wrote: »

Thanks,
    P

A good question for a money saving website :money:
    There should be a thread on the best deals out there regarding dentists/opticians etc, if there isn't one already?

However, you might be aware that the board/site is "patrolled" by a small clique of 'dentist'-come-forum users who are VERY pro-private dentistry, are using the site to promote their own agenda, and are unlikely to be unbiassed.

I think the short answer to your question, sadly, is no, but do go by recommendations from friends, etc
    taking a self-enforced break from this forum due to the persistent and ongoing troll problem, and the systematic abuse of the report button system in order to get people/usernames banned
  • Pollycat
    Forumite
    A good question for a money saving website :money:
    There should be a thread on the best deals out there regarding dentists/opticians etc, if there isn't one already?

However, you might be aware that the board/site is "patrolled" by a small clique of 'dentist'-come-forum users who are VERY pro-private dentistry, are using the site to promote their own agenda, and are unlikely to be unbiassed.

I think the short answer to your question, sadly, is no, but do go by recommendations from friends, etc

Just to declare my status for the benefit of the OP:
    I'm not in a 'clique'
    I don't "patrol" this or any other board - I just pop on and comment on various posts as I feel fit
    I'm just a forum user, not a 'dentist'-come-forum user'
    I'm not 'pro-private dentistry' - I pay NHS fees to my dentist
    I don't have any agenda to promote and therefore am unbiased

My question above still stands.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,731
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You really need to get a dentist you trust. I've been with mine close on 20 years. I don't need a lot of work, a filling every few years and some wisdom teeth out but I would never question her judgement.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,072
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite

I think you must have the same biases! That is the advice I mostly give too! ;)
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite

How utterly ridiculous. I have read nothing but good common sense from the dentists who post here. They tell it like it is, from both an NHS and a private perspective. Options are always pointed out to anyone who wants an unbiased opinion. Those who complain about dentists charges are often those who's visits are few and far between.

I have been with my practice for nearly 20 years, with only one change of dentist in that time. I saw Emma for a long time, now I see Jim. I can ask questions, and they give me plenty of feedback, so I know exactly what I need to be doing to look after my teeth. In fact they tell me to carry on doing what I am doing. You don't get that personal attention if you are only going to pop into any dentist when you get a problem.

As it's been said, visit the same dentist over a period of time, build up a relationship between you, and they will help you look after your teeth.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Pollycat
    Forumite
    I'm not sure who this poster is referring to:
    but I've not seen any evidence of anyone being 'VERY pro-private dentistry' on this specific thread.
  • Guerillatoker
    Guerillatoker Posts: 625 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2019 at 12:29PM
    consumer23 wrote: »

Thanks,
    P

Honestly I don't think a dentist will suggest "unnecessary" treatment as they are reputation-based business that (as far as I am aware) have remained profitable through thick and thin.

Now, I do think they would suggest "nice-to-haves" or preventative measures that, dependant on your perception of risk, may not actually need to be done.

For example I visited a private dentist to have a new crown and teeth bleach whitening done (not worth it in hindsight unless you're really image sensitive). He also advised that there are a couple fillings he could do where there is a bit of initial wear rather than fully-fledged cavities but he didn't sound all that concerned about them so I never bothered booking back in; a year later and I've had no problems with the teeth, but I'm sure I will eventually need them doing if they continue to deteriorate.

On a side note, I went a good 5 or so years (between 18-25 years old) without seeing a dentist. I've never been particularly careful with my diet; heavy drinker at the time and always partial to sweet soft drinks, so I really thought my mouth was going to be a minefield. When the dentist took a look he was pleasantly surprised, there were no worrisome cavities, no gum disease, just a bit of discolouration.

So maybe you don't have to visit a dentist quite as often as you think, but I may be benefiting from my youth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure