Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Comments

• eandjsmum
    eandjsmum Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    victoria61 wrote: »
    Well, I have got back to my exercise routine - went out for a run with my friend yesterday (although we probably undid any benefits by promptly going out to lunch afterwards :D) and this morning I have been to the gym.

I have read the Marie Kondo book but found the idea of it a bit too overwhelming as I do have a lot of clothes and shoes. I am going to watch it on Netflix and set myself some de-cluttering targets.

One of my resolutions for this year is that I am not going to wear uncomfortable clothes any more! I have decided I can no longer be bothered to pour myself into clothes I feel self-conscious in so this year I am going to seek out some glamorous, elegant but comfortable clothes. I have already made a start as I spent Saturday in Chichester with my youngest daughter and we 'did' the charity shops and I picked up some great buys including two lovely cocktail dresses - one is designer and the other is an M&S - it was £25 for the 2 which I know isn't really cheap but they will last me for years and I will get a lot of (comfortable) wear out of them.

Today I am going to sort out my Christmas presents and put everything away - I got some lovely smellies from my family. My OH bought me some DKNY perfume which I asked for and my daughter got me a selection of lovely Body shop handcreams. My best friend (the one I run with) gave me some lovely Ted Baker toiletries so I am set for fabbing for a little while.

It's just come over very grey and drizzly here so I think maybe a nice chilli for dinner tonight

Love Chichester, a special place for me.
    Just back from swimming thinking about joining LA sports centre, means I could use any one of 5 including outdoor pool in summer.
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Spent a lovely day yesterday with DD2, having a spa day as my Christmas present from her. It was lovely to do nothing and we just chatted the day away about all sorts.

She's currently 39 weeks pregnant and I think also enjoyed the day off from doing anything.

Then we went back to pick up her other two little boys and I had a lovely hour with them before heading home :)

Before you all think that I've gone Marie Kondo crazy, I also am taking it slow and steady, just emptying out the odd drawer or shelf to sort out.

My lack of clothes was more due my complete lack of valuing and prioritising myself, added to my ex DH's constant spending, I never felt there was any money left for me to buy nice things for myself.

And I agree that a healthy sized wardrobe is very helpful given our 'flexible' weather. I don't intend to do any kind of frugal capsule wardrobe, just make sure that the items I have are items I love. :)

Back at work today, so jewellery and perfume and one of the few outfits that I quite like for work will be worn.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Morning All - just found you!! Thought it was odd no one had posted so I went hunting for the new thread so I'm a bit behind with what everyone is doing.
    Lovely to see some newbies to the thread too.
    Well here we go with a whole new year and just making small changes can have an enormous impact. I get a huge amount of inspiration from all the posts and I think that for most of us we have spent years making sure everyone else around us is OK & we've come last. I think fabbing isn't just the clothes, make up and hair etc it's the health side too & that makes us stronger and more resilient which benefits everyone.
    Right - I'll get off me soapbox now and wish you all a fabulous year!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    FrankieM wrote: »

And I agree that a healthy sized wardrobe is very helpful given our 'flexible' weather. I don't intend to do any kind of frugal capsule wardrobe, just make sure that the items I have are items I love. :)

I focus my wardrobe around spring/autumn wear, that seems to work well for me, as I can wear most of my clothes for most of the year. For example, skirts I can wear with or without tights, short sleeved dresses I can wear thermals under if needed etc.

I do like having lots of items in my wardrobe through!!!
  • Hi everyone. I'm feeling alot better, if my cold sore wasn't quite so horrific I would feel even better. I have a moustache like Hitler except mine is bright red. I hope it will clear up soon.

I've been left with that post viral weakness feeling, probably because I've spent most of the last week lying on the sofa so I need to get moving again. I need to go to the post office so I will venture out today.

I wanted to sort out some makeup this month but I can't do that at the moment so that is on the backburner for now.

Hope everyone is well, I will have a read and catch up.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Humpty - I suffer from cold sores too - usually when I am run down or sunshine triggers them. Mainly on my mouth but sometimes Ive had a rash of tiny little blisters on my face too. Someone posted about using Lysine and as over the years Ive tried pretty well everything I thought I'd give it a go. It does seem to help & stopped the one I had over christmas - I got a little pot of the ointment from H&B but apparently you can also get lysine tabs. I've also had a degree of success with Anthisan cream. HTH
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • I have been doing quite well.
    Been running a couple of times, made it to a gym class last night. Am about to take myself out for a long walk in the glorious sunshine.

Took the time to do a facemask on Sunday and feel better for it.

I am trying to work my way through the house. Just trying to sort through small bits as the mood takes me, and crucially trying to maintain it afterwards. It does make me feel better when it's not all hideous.

I had some unexpected news last week, the project I'm working on has had the funding withdrawn with immediate effect. I'm back on the job market. Am trying really hard to maintain good habits, bed/up at reasonable times, getting out and about. I do have a tendency to sit and wallow which I have to fight against. Need to keep on top of the fabbing so I'm ready for interviews!
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Good morning lovely ladies. It's a glorious day here and I am currently sat in my little "sun trap" by the patio doors (inside, too cold out) but Enjoying the sunshine through the glass. So lovely to see blue skies.

Went for my aupuncture this morning and then to Aldi so now need to rest my knee for a bit, then some gentle pottering. Going to sort out the fridge and freezer and do an inventory of food stocks.

Without being all pessimistic and doom and gloom I have been buying a few extra bits and pieces in case of a visit from the Beast from the East and/or Brexit. I'm not going mad and am only buying stuff that I will eat or use in the fullness of time. In fact no more than my usual winter stock up really.

Glad to see you found us Silvasava.

Littlegreenparrot.......sorry to hear about your job. Hopefully something else will turn up soon. Meanwhile keep fabbing, it will help you stay focussed and positive.

I'm looking forward to the superfluous furniture going tomorrow. As well as streamlining my sitting room, I shall then be able to clear what is supposed to be a study but is, in effect, a store room/dumping ground. 0nce that's clear I can set up my gym equipment in there.

Eventually I shall use the outside shed as a gym.....and then the little bedroom will become a dressing room.....well that's the master plan.....:rotfl:

Have a great day.....
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    silvasava wrote: »
    Humpty - I suffer from cold sores too - usually when I am run down or sunshine triggers them. Mainly on my mouth but sometimes Ive had a rash of tiny little blisters on my face too. Someone posted about using Lysine and as over the years Ive tried pretty well everything I thought I'd give it a go. It does seem to help & stopped the one I had over christmas - I got a little pot of the ointment from H&B but apparently you can also get lysine tabs.

That was me, I think.:) Lysine really does work. I take a few tablets every week in my vitamin pill box. Someone from the USA gave me that tip.
  • silvasava wrote: »
    Humpty - I suffer from cold sores too - usually when I am run down or sunshine triggers them. Mainly on my mouth but sometimes Ive had a rash of tiny little blisters on my face too. Someone posted about using Lysine and as over the years Ive tried pretty well everything I thought I'd give it a go. It does seem to help & stopped the one I had over christmas - I got a little pot of the ointment from H&B but apparently you can also get lysine tabs. I've also had a degree of success with Anthisan cream. HTH

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I just got back from H&B. I forced myself out as I needed Bromelain and it has made such a difference to me I really wanted to get some. I will have a look at the lysine when I go in next time.

I actually feel a bit better for going out, couldn't do much but managed to post a parcel and and get the bromelain so it was worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure