PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 - A Clutter Free Life

Comments

• DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Sod it I'm going to stop counting :rotfl:

All the leftover crisps/chocolates are gone. I've actually just thrown the last few Guylian ( truffles, not the luscious seashells, I would've eaten those!) out because I don't want to see any more chocolate! OH took the other stuff into work to get it out of the flat.

The next task I've set myself is to tackle the paperwork mountain; it'll all get scanned and then shredded. I'm going to start with the scanning and see what I can get done. I really want to get this cleared before we move so that I don't risk losing anything.
  • Can I join please. I need to declutter as I have far too much stuff. The downside of volunteering at a charity shop is that you get to see all the bargains. I now work on the theory that every time I bring some thing home from the shop I have to donate at least 1 item back.
    I too turn my coat hangers round in the wardrobe and it can be very satisfying as I force myself to wear clothes that I had set aside for ' best'. I quite often see clothes come into the shop still with the labels attached and in one extreme case cases full of clothes that this poor woman never got to wear and I vowed I would never get like that.
    My son is due to move out this year and I am itching to get my hands on his room and blitz it. I know he won't be taking a majority of the books and dvds.
    So far this week I have taken one large bag to the charity shop and sorted through the Christmas cards making a list for this years cards and taken defunct batteries to recycling.
    Onwards and upwards (especially to the loft)
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    I have been procrastinating for three years now. I think it would be easier to ask man with a van to send it all to the charity shop.
  • pippo
    pippo Posts: 3,891
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    7. Last years diary (progress for me as i normally keep them all as i have a fear of throwing them out for some reason)
    8. Old tin opener
    I feel your pain chocolatebum - work-wise we were required to keep our diaries for 6 years!! That wasn't so necessary when electronic diaries came in and now I am retired I have no need to do keep them at all. So, first de-clutter - last years diary!
  • 3 used up pen binned
    4 last yr's tiny Christmas pud - eaten all by me - new stock arrived this Christmas
    5 pile of receipts to compost
    Yes. Mrs SD - slow and steady is the way to go.

If anyone out there , lurking, is wondering what decluttering has to do with old style money saving - here is what I learned with my decluttering efforts.
    I save money by not repeatedly buying things I know I already have lots of, eg, pens, white t-shirts.
    As I declutter I find things more easily so I don't buy things I think I have lost.
    As I inspect things usually clothes I have a clearer idea of how long an item will last and of what I have so I don't waste money buying stuff I have. One example from last year. I didn't know that I had two white cotton shirts somewhere, so I bought one as they are classic items in my wardrobe, thinking that my last one had turned into a rag and been recycled. Came back from UK trip and hung up new shirt ( only best shirts get hung up ) and found two, one under the other inside my best jacket.
    Also by giving stuff to charity shops we supply stuff that costs less so other people save money.

Best of all is the warm feeling when you look in a drawer and can see things instead of a crushed jumble. And the drawer opened so easily!
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,387
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Decided today to attack the office of doom :(. Made it out alive clutching a bag for cs and one for binning. Even managed to get DH to part with some of his stuff :eek:.
    Well it's a start and I've thinned out some of my books too ( that was hard ). I also binned lots of packaging from Xmas - cheese biscuits box, smellies etc. I'm going to have another look around for more unwanted stuff when I take the tree and decs down tomorrow, as I'm sure we have surplus decorations still in the boxes.
    Dad brought me a diary and I didn't have the heart to refuse, but I'll never use it so I'll wait a week and then it will throw it out. I am determined this year to get rid of items surplus to requirements.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • 9-13 old pj tops that i never actually wear,
    14-18 uni paperwork that isn't needed (it was actually about 50 sheets but i have decided that i will bundle my paper into sets of ten for counting)
    19 old pencil that doesn't sharpen properly so rather than wasting time doing it its in the bin
    20 old highlighter
    DEBT
    31/12/2018 = £21,740.10 - 31/12/2019 = £18,581.29 (14.53% PD)
    31/01/2020 - £18,685.22 (14.05% PD)
  • gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,122
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Evening all! Well, a really quiet day as regards getting anything else sorted out, but ive thrown away about six things, last two of chipped plates that the rest of the dinner service had already gone, first aid at home book, miles out of date, few tubes of steradent that i bought for when my dad need them, sadly he wont be needing them any more. Had someone wanting a cork tray i advertised on fb, and she also collects for the homeless, so theres a couple of coats going that way tomorrow when she collects the tray, and ive finally sold a 3/4 bed that ive been advertising since before Christmas, well, hopefully ive sold it if she turns up on Sunday night for it, and then i will have the space to make more headway in the garage. Im having building work done next moth and need to clear the garage out, also having to have asbestos ceiling removed from there, so all the garage stuff needs to go! One thing i did decided when i moved here 18 months ago, i dont put anything in the loft because that would just give me the excuse to hoard more.....

Tomorrows plans are to go through the airing cupboard and throw out old quilts, i have a fetish for new bedding, lol, and perhaps to start going through a huge storage crate of mom and dads old photos, thats something i can do by the fire tomorrow eve.....

Whoever it was that said if you take your eye off the ball you lose the momentum, yes, i agree, i have to make sure im back on it tomorrow!!

gp xx
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,163
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Today I decluttered the last of the xmas pudding :D. I also bought 2 new T. shirts in the M&S sale but I will throw out at least 2 old ones that are now really only fit for rags, however my rag bag is also full so out they will go into the rubbish bin. ( unless someone has a good idea of using them up ?). I nearly bought another coat in the sale too, but I resisted the temptation as I already have several coats..... I was quite proud of myself :j.

Tomorrow I shall tackle the office of doom and my book shelves. I admit the books are going to be difficult, as I love books, but I must be ruthless.

Some charity shops take bags of rags as they can sell them on. I always scrawl rags across the bag just to save a volunteer having to go through them.

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,163
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 4 January 2019 at 11:10PM
    whmf00001 wrote: »
    I would like to join in please. I did have a go about 4 years ago when a friend was very helpful and kind but things build up. How do you manage to get rid of mothers crockery/glasses. Did manage some on Freecycle, seemed wrong to sell, but still have some - I know I am sentimental. Any idea how to get rid of video tapes, some are family type films and films recorded from TV - all respectable stuff. Have made a sort of start, washed a couple of items to put in CS bag and would biscuit tins be good for CS or just the tip, we used to use for buttons etc but not now-a-days. Am trying.

Perhaps using a phrase like 'I can keep some things, but I cant keep everything'. Or trying the spark joy test and only keep things you also like, after all just because it was your family's doesn't mean you have to have it drowning you in your life right now. Or decide to keep one item of everything ie one glass, 1 plate cup and saucer, on a special shelf and get rid of the rest by selling, donating , recycling or chucking?

Its hard when sentiment gets in the way but items are designed to be useful and have a life span. If you have family im sure you wouldn't want them agonising about your mugs and plates after you are gone?

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure