PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    frosty wrote: »
    Sorry I thought I had said......£5

Wow, 400 items for a fiver :T . Must have been a big bundle to carry home! I'm very envious, I love travel size kit. In fact I bought online some little plastic bottles in various sizes and now decant my own.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Laredouter wrote: »
    Disaster has struck today; my trusty Radley messenger bag has finally given up and died on me. I have had it for 8 years and it has lasted through all of my embarrassing phases during my teenage years. Do you reckon it is too optimistic to hope that a similar one might pop up in the charity shop? :(

Never say never, but I think you may have to settle for something different while you keep an eye out for your heart's desire! (I am talking about bags, other aspects of your life are none of my business :rotfl: ).

Have you tried an old fashioned shoe repair shop to see if anything can be done to repair it?
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    Apologies for being nosy, but how much? :o

And what brand?

Do AirBnB guests deduct stars for B & H :rotfl:

Even 'own brand' shower gel is £12.50 for a pack of 50 trade.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Laredouter wrote: »

I am really coming to love Norwich and I absolutely can't wait to resume my studies at UEA :j

Norwich is indeed a beautiful city and my DGS Ben has just obtained a 2.1 in English Lit. there at UEA.He loves it at the Uni and will miss it when he comes back home. he has clothed himself virtually for the past three years from the charity shops there :)

I had a great haul whilst on holiday from a charity shop in Alcester while I was on holiday. I had a huge bag of different coloured double knit wool that cost me a fiver and there are over 25 balls in there plus a cloth bag of wooden knitting needles. The wool alone was well worth it and I have a huge stash now so won't need anymore this year. I knit for two charities plus there will be enough there to make some christmas gifts with as well :):):) my bargain of the year I think :):):)

JackieO xx
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Going into town to send a package off later this morning with only DS in the single buggy so I can use the under basket to carry said package. This means two things.
    1. single buggy much smaller and easy to move about in shops
    2. Under basket will be empty with room for shopping....
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Atta gal Lucy - proper planning is always shrewd. Fingers crossed it doesn't turn the kindly ones faces against you!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    DigForVictory - thought of you the other day.

A friend who does a bit of antique dealing told me he'd seen a Denby vase in our local hospice shop.
    He described it and I correctly identified it as Savannah (he was quite impressed :D).
    It's this one:

il_570xN.1486203055_om6h.jpg?version=0
    Not my cup of tea - and they wanted £35 for it.

From the same hospice but different branch I bought a Per Una 100% linen dress which is calf length on me.
    White with turquoise, lime and fuchsia stylised leaves.
    Not cheap at £5.00 but IIRC these retailed at £40 and the circular inspection sticker is still on the care label.
    Has wideish straps so my bra doesn't show and fits really nicely under the arms.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Very good ID pollycat, as the hand painted stuff can be quite tricky to place. There was a Glyn signed vase for £45 in a charity shop in Oldham of a similar size & shape (2' plus tall) but it would have been a storage hog & whilst unquestionably a splendid pension piece, it lacked the *fun* I like in my chinaware.
    The family eyes are rolling like marbles - what on earth is Fun about box after box of teapots and unmatched cups & saucers & bowls and so forth? I like them. Discussion can end. Yes, I have a few pieces which are unquestionably going to a custom auction some day, as I also have a few pieces from my grandmothers, used abused repaired loved & pretty much worthless other than to a social historian. I've got teasets to send the chaps out properly equipped to brew for a visiting cleric (bear in mind my perceptions on this point where what a genuine Victorian taught me) and a disconcerting stash of manor green as I love the colour & shapes. Duplicates? I could not care less, if the piece is whole & within the Acquiz Committee guidelines, it's coming home with me... (A policy I operated even camping in Scotland which saw the three travel back each with a Do Not Drop bag on their laps.)

Rousing applause at finding a nice frock & treble bonus finding one that fits really nicely under the arms & permits for the wearing of the foundation garments without undue concern. Not enough of those around, so dead to cheer!
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 June 2018 at 9:40PM
    Lovely long sleeved black and grey jumper dress BHS W brand £1, being put away for winter, perfect for wearing with leggings and boots.

A stunning purple stretchy satin type fabric evening/ cocktail pencil dress for £5, I've forgotten the brand *edit- it's M&S!* but it's v neck, sleeveless but shoulders wide enough to hide bra straps and zip is up the back (I have a big rib cage and can never wear things with side zips!!) and it's knee length. This may get put away until next year for DsS's bar mitzvah!

A Minions t- shirt for £1, nine McDonald's Minion toys for £2 for DS who has developed a love of the crazy little yellow things in blue dungarees.

And for £2.50, A top and bottoms swimming costume for DS. Marvel, from George are Asda, it's age 4 but seeing as my 21 month old is already starting to wear age 2-3 stuff it's not buying that far ahead.... Looks unworn.

A TU pair of dark denim skinny jeggings, £2. I live in these!
    Mixed from four different shops in town.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    DigForVictory - I don't want to get too far off-topic (or even worse, bore all the other posters except you rigid) but I started collecting Glynbourne vases, jugs & planters and was missing the one I wanted the most.

We went to a large antique fair and after doing the posh stuff inside the marquees we went outside.

The idea was that we'd walk up one row and scan both sides then go down to the next row.
    I spotted 'the vase' 3 rows down and was gone.
    By the time OH found me I'd bought it.

I feigned ignorance with the seller and asked what it was etc.
    He wanted £50 for it and I offered £40, which he agreed to.
    I told him it was the one missing piece from my collection and that I would have paid £60.

To which he replied 'I'd have taken £35.00'. :rotfl:
    We both laughed and agreed we were happy with the deal.
    I still love that particular vase.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport