It's not a lot, but it's enough

Comments

• Jen - a bargain indeed. I think I'll beg borrow and steal some things from friends and family to get me going. Thereafter I'll slowly save up and upgrade things when needed. Although my bro is moving to a bigger place to accommodate his baby that's due in July so he'll need more of a help than I do. Wish I could help him more.

Anyway. Played football last night with guys from work, home, showered, dinner and bed. Woke up during the night due to the weather and when my alarm went off for the gym the snow was a few inches deep. Treacherous journey into Glasgow, but I made it.

No plans tonight. Chilled one is on the cards.

Have a good day all.
  • Morning all,

Don't have too much to report outwith the mortgage side of things.

I feel I've got 3 spinning plates;

1 - My solicitor
    I'm required to fill out a form which includes a picture of 2 forms of identification and a bank statement, which caused problems given I'm with First Direct and they operate differently. The form had to be filled out within 7 days or I was going to get charged £10 per day. I think I filled it out correctly so I'll await to hear otherwise

2 - My mortgage broker
    As MSE recommended, I went with L&C. They gave me the mortgage in principle and now that the offer has been accpeted my solicitor has asked me to formally get the mortgage. So this involved 2 telephone conversations yesterday. The first went through my affordability (what I earn vs what I spend) the 2nd was 4 hours later with the broker explaining who the best offer was from, the interest rate, cashback, term, etc etc. They needed a copy of my payslips so I that was another document I had to scan and send across.

On this front, it was priced up over 25 years which came under budget, but I think I'll go over 30. It'll reduce my monthly figure by £40 - £50 which will make a big difference. I appreciate that I'll be paying more in interest but I can shorten the term when it comes to remortgaging after my 5 years fixed term.

3 - The sellers estate agent
    They chose Purple Bricks so everything is done online or on the phone. Now that the house is off the market, getting the information becomes difficult. I've to check if the home report is still within date, so waiting to hear back from PB to get a hard copy.

I'm constantly worried I've missed something or forgot something, not mention a fear that my mortgage application might be rejected for whatever reason. Anyway.

Off work tomorrow for my trip to Aviemore with the family which will be nice, it's a shame my step-bro and wife can't attend, I'd love to spend more time with them.

I'm going to bake empire biscuits and a vanilla sponge tonight so I need to nip out and get dolly mixtures and also a bottle of red for my mothers day while we're away. Really looking forward to chilling out over the weekend.
  • Hello,

I've returned from my break to Aviemore in which I distanced myself from all social media/work etc. Had a wonderful time with the family but a shame that my other step-bro and his wife couldn't attend.

Managed 4 NSD's during my trip due to a lot of food preparation before we left and home baking, so could be worse.

Need to go shopping at lunch to organise my food for the remainder of the week. Payday tomorrow which will be a relief. Straight into savings.

Not much movement on the mortgage front. I've a call at 1pm to discuss something with the solicitor. Not sure what but I'll be sure to update you all.

Happy hump day :)
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Pleased that you've enjoyed your break Speky - and well done getting nsd's whilst on holiday. I'm very jealous.
  • It's the end of the month and I've smashed my own NSD record with 18!! Not really a true reflection of a normal month though as this was only achievable because a) I over spent at the stag early in the month and b) a long weekend away was all paid for and food was prepared in advance. A new benchmark for me to aim to.

Payday yesterday. Although I've got the cash ready for my deposit, I've continue to put £750 away into savings for furniture etc. I'll have a tight month ahead as it's my best friends wedding so I'll need to account for cash for a gift and also money for the night too.

Going sofa shopping on Sunday so that I've got time to order it and it be ready for the moving in date. Keep you all posted.
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Very very exciting.
    Do factor in scotchguard or whatever the sofa shop's version is, also consider whether or not it would be worthwhile having removable covers so that you can update it/wash them.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£330.00 (66%)     INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£062.00 (13%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Ahh good point Joey.

I saw 2 sofas yesterday. both around the same price. I'm torn between the 2 and my family can't decide either. No rush to make a decision, so i'll...sit on it...for a while (see what I did there?)

I'll post again later today going through my years goals. Need to tie up some loose ends first.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Career
    Goal: Achieve my bonus targets in work
    March steps taken: It’s been a tough month of sales which I was told to expect. Bonus criteria hasn’t been set yet, so I’ll chase this on Friday
    Plan for April: I’ve made a note to chase for an update on my bonus criteria and also to get an update on they think I’m doing.

Goal: Build a stronger network of client
    March steps taken: It was a decent month and was introduced to a number of clients. I’ve learned from my manager the art of networking and so I’ll look to implement that.
    Plan for April: This month should be a busy one which will encourage lots of relationship building.

Goal: Attend at least 1 new training course
    March steps taken: It wasn’t a training course as such but a conference in London which I suggested to the boss. Doubt it’ll happen it’s quite expensive but it would be good nonetheless.
    Plan for April: Keep my eyes peeled for other opportunities.

Relationships
    Goal: Spend more 1-2-1 time with my gran
    March steps taken: We had our meal as usual and we also went to Aviemore for a long weekend which she enjoyed.
    Plan for April: I’ve got dinner at her house tomorrow and we’ll see how the remainder of the month pans out. If funds allow, I’d like to take her somewhere.

Goal: Visit my Dad at least 6 times
    March steps taken: Didn’t manage to see him
    Plan for April: Don’t think I’ll get across this month either by the looks of things but I should really make the effort.

Goal: Organise social events with my cousins
    March steps taken: No arrangements made
    Plan for April: Need to chase up and see what the plan is and get it in the diary

Goal: See my friends children more often
    March steps taken: Went and helped out one Sunday and it was hectic trying to juggle 3 toddlers. Don’t know how they do it.
    Plans for April: It’s their wedding this month so I’ll offer to help again if needed.

Self
    [STRIKE]Goal: Start learning Spanish (again)[/STRIKE]
    March steps taken: Found and organised a tutor to teach the 3 of us.
    Plans for April: Had our first lesson last night and are now booked in on a weekly basis. Goal acheived

Goal: Live on a ketogenic diet
    March steps taken: Finding that I need a mix of being super healthy and strict during the week with a cheat day at the weekend.
    Plan for April: Plenty of exercise and continue to keep at it.

[STRIKE]Goal: Buy a house/flat[/STRIKE]
    March steps taken: I bought a flat!!!

Goal: Save an emergency fund of £1k
    March steps taken: Such a tough month to try and save. Failed
    Plans for April: Now that I’ve bought a place and my family and friends know it, I’ll be spending very little. Should manage to save, save, save.

Goal: Read 10 books
    March steps taken: Finished by book and I’ve started re-reading to take notes for the bit at the start.
    Plans for April: Should finish making my notes then I’ll start reading another.

Goal: Eat out less
    March steps taken: Apart from the stag do, I didn’t go out much. All was budgeted
    Plans for April: Well…..I might be going on a date. So I’ll need to put something aside for that.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Updated my yearly goals above and managed to tick 2 of them off and only a quarter through the year!!

Spanish lesson last night went well. Learned a lot despite it being just an hour lesson. Going to dive in head first and try and make the most of it.

Also got a NSD and today should be too.
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Just delurking to say hope the date goes well :)
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure