MSE News: Small energy supplier One Select stops trading - what you need to know

Comments

• wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 January 2019 at 1:45AM
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Just musing -what happens if the OFGEM Supplier of last Resort goes bust trying to cope with the takeover ??

Unlikely, because:
    (a) to date all SoLRs have actively bidded to take over a supplier that has ceased to trade (i.e. Ofgem have not forcibly appointed one - if they did, they would probably just pick one of the Big 6 who would probably hardly notice the taking over of a minnow)
    (b) Ofgem review the bids received to ensure it's the best deal for the customer, and so would reject a bid if they considered the takeover would fail,
    and probably most importantly
    (c) bidding suppliers can ask for loads of money to cover the cost of taking over a failed supplier, the value of which they seem to claim after they have established those costs involved. The bid only states what elements they may claim for (and perhaps an estimate of the cost), and Ofgem then reviews the actual value once it is claimed.

e.g. here is £13.8m claim Octopus put in after taking over failed supplier, Iresa
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/last-resort-supplier-payment-claim-octopus-energy

Note the claim also includes £1.6m financing cost of capital Octopus made available to fund the takeover for the period before they submitted their claim.
    Ofgem is minded to consent to the claim in full.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,270 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 January 2019 at 7:55AM
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I think that the figures they have produced have been "validated" and the opening reading I gave them , altered to give this reduced closing read for OS - this results in a higher credit being carried forward to Together. - I doubt whether anyone is going to reissue a bill which has presumably been agreed with the administrators of OS.:(
    The estimated reading my final bill is based upon appeared on my account on 14th December, whereas if it went through the validation process is should not have appeared for 5-10 working days after the date it was made.

But it's not something I'm going to fight if TE end up using the OS figure rather than the one I provided them. I'm in the process of moving and the £80 cashback I'll receive will more than compensate me for my spell at TE.
  • masonic
    wavelets wrote: »
    e.g. here is £13.8m claim Octopus put in after taking over failed supplier, Iresa
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/last-resort-supplier-payment-claim-octopus-energy
    That makes me wonder if it would have just been cheaper to bung some cash at the failed supplier while winding them down in a less extreme manner.
  • masonic wrote: »
    The estimated reading my final bill is based upon appeared on my account on 14th December, whereas if it went through the validation process is should not have appeared for 5-10 working days after the date it was made.

But it's not something I'm going to fight if TE end up using the OS figure rather than the one I provided them. I'm in the process of moving and the £80 cashback I'll receive will more than compensate me for my spell at TE.
    Do you have a TE account setup? I'm wanting to switch but I don't have an account set up yet. They've not taken any money as I cancelled direct debit and am in 175 credit from OS.
  • masonic
    Do you have a TE account setup? I'm wanting to switch but I don't have an account set up yet. They've not taken any money as I cancelled direct debit and am in 175 credit from OS.
    My new supplier confirmed TE managed to take over my supply on 24th December. TE stated in an email to all customers that our accounts would be set up by 8th January.

TE has not shared an account number with me, nor provided me with a first bill / account statement, nor provided me with online access. It has not shared any timelines for providing customers with any of these things.

The good news is that it is not necessary to know your account details in order to switch.
  • lagib
    lagib Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    @lagib

The Citizens Advice Bureau price comparison site does have the Together OS Dec 18 tariff so you can use them to compare suppliers.
    https://energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk/
    Thanks gsminx. I will certainly try it.
  • lagib
    masonic wrote: »
    I believe uswitch carries the Tariff, but you can just plug in any supplier and tariff, then compare the rates for the cheapest result to those provided by Together. It should be obvious if there is a saving to be had.
    Thanks masonic.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    lagib wrote: »
    Thanks gsminx. I will certainly try it.

I would recommend this link instead

https://www.energylinx.co.uk/energy/cashback/

Exactly the same results, as the CAB use a disabled/doctored version of the Energylinx comparison site which is accedited by Ofgem, but you could earn yourself £34 possible cashback for switching (£17 per fuel)

:money:
  • lagib
    wavelets wrote: »
    I would recommend this link instead

https://www.energylinx.co.uk/energy/cashback/

Exactly the same results, as the CAB use a disabled/doctored version of the Energylinx comparison site which is accedited by Ofgem, but you could earn yourself £34 possible cashback for switching (£17 per fuel)

:money:
    Thanks wavelets and I will try your suggestion too.
  • I went onto confused.com, they listed the Together OS Dec 18 tariff.
    For me powershop came in at £300 cheaper.

Also nothing from together regarding account number or online access, although they have taken 2 direct debits of £115 each...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure