MSE News: Small energy supplier One Select stops trading - what you need to know

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    lagib wrote: »
    I have been switched by Ofgem from defunct One Select, to Together Energy on a tariff named ''Together OS Dec 18''. My new provider tells me by email that their tariff is only 3.5% higher than the One Select tariff I was on but that I will continue to be charged at the same monthly payment as with O.S. (possibly for 6 months). However, I did try a comparison through the ''Cheap Energy Club'' but the tariff options did not include ''Together OS Dec 18''. I therefore could not compare and thus, have no idea if there is a better/cheaper provider out there. Ringing ''Together Energy'' is a waste of time as the line either drops out when a phone option is taken or you are placed in an interminable queue,with annoying background music, and nobody answers. Anybody had the same problem and found a solution?
    I believe uswitch carries the Tariff, but you can just plug in any supplier and tariff, then compare the rates for the cheapest result to those provided by Together. It should be obvious if there is a saving to be had.
  • merchcon55
    merchcon55 Posts: 302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I also now have my final invoice from One Select. I gave an actual reading on 11 December, and their estimate for 13 December was pretty close to actual, so no complaints there.

I actually owe them £9.02 - I stopped the Direct Debit which would have come out on the 15th.

Still heard NOTHING from Together - I started a switch to SO Energy - we shall see if that goes through or not.
  • @lagib

The Citizens Advice Bureau price comparison site does have the Together OS Dec 18 tariff so you can use them to compare suppliers.
    https://energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk/
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Well,as suspected Together haven't achieved their objective of setting accounts up by Tuesday 8th (or at least don't appear to have).
    HOWEVER, a final reading has now appeared on my One Select account page which is considerably less than the actual start figure I gave Together. So it seems as if I'm going to pay for several hundred kwhs at a higher ( Together Energy) tariff!:mad:
    What gets up my nose is that the same thing happened when Usio went bust so that I'm going to have to pay extra to First Utility. Funny how this inter Company verification process always seems to favour the Supplier of Last Resort!!

EDIT There is now a bill showing in my One Select account using this meter read and showing a credit balance forward.

How annoying. I wonder if they try to recoup the cost of reimbursing customers in credit by fiddling the units like that? I've got this little pleasure to come as I'm with Economy Energy.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,245 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    jk0 wrote: »
    How annoying. I wonder if they try to recoup the cost of reimbursing customers in credit by fiddling the units like that? I've got this little pleasure to come as I'm with Economy Energy.
    Hopefully you've submitted meter readings recently. That limits the amount they can fiddle the readings on the takeover date.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite

BTW, This would explain why they ask us not to switch. To keep you on a 'last resort' tariff for weeks, paying heaven knows how much.
  • tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I just checked my oneselect account and they underestimated my reading too by about 250kWh. This will be about £10 in their favour.

To those who don't know the tariff Together put them on, you should have received an email with the subject "Your Together Energy Tariff" around the 18th of December. Mine said 15.02p/kWh and 25.09p/day standing charge.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just had a quote using the Citizens advice and it comes up with our power and saving £136 per year. Will chase it up tomorrow.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    masonic wrote: »
    I'm in the same situation. The final read is an (under)estimate. Thankfully not by a few hundred kWh though. If the system works correctly the actual readings we provide will have been independently validated and a revised final bill will need to be issued.
    Unfortunately, I think that the figures they have produced have been "validated" and the opening reading I gave them , altered to give this reduced closing read for OS - this results in a higher credit being carried forward to Together. - I doubt whether anyone is going to reissue a bill which has presumably been agreed with the administrators of OS.:(
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite

No need. The cost of reimbursing customers in credit will be met by a levy on the remaining suppliers.
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Just musing -what happens if the OFGEM Supplier of last Resort goes bust trying to cope with the takeover ??

They find another SOLR to take on both.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport