UK Student Loan, been out the country 5 years, no contact with them. What to expect?

Hey, I have spent around 5 years abroad living in Taiwan. The first year I moved there they sent a letter asking for an update on my situation, I responded to say I'm traveling (I was at the time). However I didn't hear anything from them after and just forgot about it, I was under the impression if you aren't working in the UK there isn't anything to worry about because they deduct from you automatically when you start working.
I am returning to the UK soon to look for work, and I would like to start paying my loan back. I have been working in Taiwan for some of the time only. This was well under the threshold, I was just working as a substitute teacher cash-in-hand. I am now worried about contacting the loan company and what to expect.

Does anyone have any experience with being abroad for a significant length of time with no contact with the Student Loans Company? Do they put the loan into arrears? What exactly is the difference between a loan that is in arrears and a loan that is not? Both you have to pay back, is the arrears amount an additional sum they will want to take from your payslip monthly?

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

My understanding of student loans, is that you only start repaying it, once your salary hits a certain level, and you then repay a certain percentage back according to your wage.

If you have not yet hit that level of income, no repayments are due.

I stand to be corrected of course, but that is my understanding of the new student loans.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Why don't you head over to the Student Money Saving board.

There's lot of threads there about Student loans, going abroad and payment thresholds.

Depending when you took it out would depend what the threshold is.

It is paid through the tax system directly from your wages.

Update SLC when you begin employment again.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do you know if your loan has been sold on to the likes of Erudio? There is a very long thread under credit file and ratings called "ERUDIO student loans help", there are people on there battling with issues such as yours. With luck yours won't have been sold on but it fits the circumstances of many who have, that is for one reason or another, right or wrong, not repaying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure