PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,874 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Budgets list updated to here :)
    Good luck to all!
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Hi Folks

Had to go and do a shop ( £15.11) just because I have a visitor coming to stay for a couple of days; I could have managed for a few more days being frugal and working with freezer stuff but I don't have visitors staying over very often so like to treat them as well as myself. Picked up some of the usual staples, F&V, bacon & eggs, also run out of kitchen towels and needed to replace a pair or leaking marigo!ds :mad: - its always the right glove.....always

lynnejk wrote: »
    Don't mind the cooking but wish I had a washing-up genie :rotfl:
    Hope you all having a great week
    Lx

:rotfl: Me too
    elsiepac wrote: »

I feel good to be back on track this month - as in tracking properly, checking in regularly and frequently, and have stopped a really bad habit (smoking!) that I got back into for just over 3 months over the summer - I seem to do it every year then have to go through the pain of quitting again because I don't want to smoke! Anyway, I've stopped for about a month again now, luckily nipped it in the bud before it really set in too badly, but I feel ill thinking about how much money I wasted needlessly!

Well done on giving up the cigs :T - I did it over 3years ago and never looked back - to be honest I don't think I could afford it now.
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 October 2017 at 9:03PM
    Options
    NewShadow wrote: »
    Makes the new total = £90.48 on food/drink + £7.60 for 'Social' stuff.

Another NSD today :j

Long day of meetings and I'm working from home tomorrow so no reason to spend there. Last portion of the beef stew tonight, so also need to make the pasta bake tomorrow... and put the bins out at some point... just want to go to sleep...Need more spoons:o

Plan
    Breakfast
    Banana and fruit porridge

Lunches
    Soup-n-sarnie - [strike]Saturday/Sunday[/strike]
    Vegi Omelettes - [strike]Mon[/strike]/Thurs
    Free-lunch at work - [strike]Tuesday[/strike]
    Turkey Sarnie - [strike]Wednesday[/strike]
    Eat-up day - Friday

Dinner
    Beef Stew - [strike]Saturday/Sunday/Monday/Tuesday[/strike]
    Turkey dinner - Thursday
    Pasta bake - Friday

Snacks
    [strike]flapjacks[/strike]
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Received £10 from an unexpected source so treated DH and I to a Chinese last night. £2.50 cash added to it.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Evening all.

We did our first shops of the month on Saturday: L!dl (£5.93 - stocked up on their 59p anchovies)), Sainsbugs (£5.85 - literally the only place we could find cooking bacon - at £1.50 a packet - and the rest on some more-ish whole nut white chocolate) and then the main shop at Mr T’s (£32.95). That brings our spend so far for this month to £46.63/£143.30 leaving £96.67 for the rest of the month.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I've got £30 left, but I have meals and pies and spuds in the freezer, soup in the cupboards, all the pasta in the world, and a week on holiday abroad coming up soon. So really just fruit to buy (forgot, have bread in the freezer too) and feeling ok about it.

I'm feeling healthier on the bigger budget. Less eating carbs because they are cheap.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 October 2017 at 9:20PM
    Options
    NSD yesterday (sausage & bean casserole OR bean tagine w'rice & stir-fried home-grown veg, HM soup & savoury flapjacks for lunch) but £16.73 spent today on "essential" tea supplies for the girls, some sage & leek stuffing to make pork schnitzels from the remains of Sunday's roast/aubergine schnitzels for the girls, & bananas. (May have to rein the exotic tea-drinking in, or get them to pay for it themselves!) But I'm delighted to have found a good use for overgrown runner beans, of which we have hundreds; the pods are only fit for the compost heap, but the beans themselves - oh wow! I made a huge crockpot of bean tagine & we all loved it, veggie or carnivore.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £5.27 spent in aldi today on loo roll, bagels, crisps, tissues and chocolate bars.

£187.10/£350
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Afternoon all

Had a Mr T delivery yesterday = £42.09, mostly stock-cupboard and freezer 'stuff'.

Hope you all having a frugal week
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh bother! Ran into a spot of bother at the county town market today... I bought some black mustard seeds (60p) and went to get some fish, as requested by OH for tonight. I went to the stall, picked out a couple of fillets to split between the four of us, opened my purse & realised that what I'd vaguely heard OH mutter at 6.10am this morning, just before he left for work, was something along the lines of "I've taken two notes out of your purse for mumble mumble mumble/something work-related & charitable today, OK?" Which of course were the only two notes in there... :eek: So I had to go to the butcher's stall, where they will do a cashback on a card purchase, and buy something I didn't strictly speaking need in order to get the cashback to buy the fish! Which was far more expensive than my usual fishmonger, but he doesn't trade at that market. Still cheaper than our local supermarket fish counter, though - except at 5pm, when fresh fish prices plummet to acceptable levels - but I'd have been on the road back at that point.

Never mind, it will all get used, and I've already split the pack down & frozen it for later in the month. I just have to remember it's in there, and not buy any more! The fish was lovely, and still much cheaper than take-away fish & chips, but that's quite enough treats for one month now...
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure