Ford Ecoboost - engine failure

Options

Comments

• TickersPlaysPop
    TickersPlaysPop Posts: 753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 December 2017 at 8:07PM
    Options
    There's going to be a lot more than that. Reading the threads on facebook and those speaking to recovery drivers this is a massive issue and also seems to be affecting the RS range of Ecoboost engines with 17 plate models being affected.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/ford-focus-rs-engine-problem-confirmed-to-cause-white-smoke/ar-BBGB6K5?li=AA8sb7&ocid=spartandhp

You are absolutely right on everything.

Ford are replacing engines and not changing the engine number. Or issuing paperwork unless people pay 10% of the £4000 to £5000. So there is little proof this is happening. DVSA have been informed within the past 2 weeks that Ford are doing this.

One of the root causes is the coolant system that doesn't have a low level sensor, and in many cases there is no warning from the vital safety system. Coolant system is fragile and breaks in many different places. The engine is so hot, a short period of coolant malfunction and the cyclinder head cracks leading to loss of coolant into the cylinders.

No one should be paying for new engines... please follow the pinned post on the Facebook page.
    Peace.
  • RickJO1
    Options
    I am considering buying a 2013 Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost (125bhp) with 24500k on the clock.

In light of everything said about the coolant issues and engine failures; now I am aware, I am starting to think I would be foolish to go ahead and buy one. Is the Focus worth the risk, or am I better off staying well away?
  • roneik
    roneik Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    I would personally steer clear. That tiny engine boosted to over 120 hp puts huge stress on it.
    Go for a four cylinder car if you want similar power with minimum 1.6cc engine. IMO
    Fifty years driving and I would say the engine is inadequate in the car you quote
  • Marktheshark
    Options
    valve coking is a big issue as well, misfiring, loss of power and stalling.
    Ford just do their usual, hey hum, not us, please buy another shed from us...
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    TickersPlaysPop Posts: 753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 December 2017 at 8:14PM
    Options
    Hi all up to 330 cars now... see this Facebook page for list of registration plates...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/

Key words:
    Ecoboost, engine failure, head gasket, coolant loss, hose recall, coolant leak, problems starting, won't start, over heating, reservoir empty.
    Peace.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    No. They're not highly stressed for a modern engine. For a start they use three cylinders instead of four which means larger pistons for the size which means they can be stronger. The compression ratio is around 10.5:1 compared to the 19.5:1 my Mondeo TDCi is so internal cylinder pressure levels are lower. Also the boost is restricted in 1st gear, the gear damage is most likely to be a problem, to 12PSI compared to the 20PSI maximum it is set to which again, is the same as my Mondeo TDCi. So it runs the same boost as a Mondeo TDCi but with half the compression ratio so about half the internal cylinder pressures and you don't see people worrying about the mileage a Mondeo TDCi will do with most people expecting >200,000 miles.

Firstly your comparing a petrol to a diesel engine. Diesel engines require higher compression ratios and operate differently
    Secondly 3 cylinders producing same power of 4 is going to labour the engine more.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi all up to 330 cars now...

Out of how many millions sold? By 2015 the Ecoboost engine was fitted to 5 million vehicles.
  • TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Out of how many millions sold? By 2015 the Ecoboost engine was fitted to 5 million vehicles.

Why is it that so many online forums end up as uncomfortable arguments?!

This is a major repair, £4000-£5000 and 6-8 weeks waiting time, more in some cases, where Ford treat customers like mud the whole time.

With the greatest respect and kindness Tarambor....

... the fault appears to be mainly isolated to the Focus model from the info on the Facebook page. The engine block might be the same in all cars, but the implementation and ancillary systems are different, plus the ECU settings will be different. For example the turbo in the heavier Focus will probably be used more often and longer periods compared to the Fiesta.

As such that 3 million will be reduced to a much smaller number for only the Focus cars.

The 330 on the Facebook page is mainly UK registrations, again that will reduce the number further from world wide to UK.

Also, the Facebook page is not a comprehensive list of all the incidences of engine failure, and the tip of the iceberg at the moment.

The industry standard defect target of 6 sigma, that is 99.99966% are expected to be free of defects...

The 330 number is much more significant when you consider all the facts.
    Peace.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Why is it that so many online forums end up as uncomfortable arguments?!

This is a major repair, £4000-£5000 and 6-8 weeks waiting time, more in some cases, where Ford treat customers like mud the whole time.

With the greatest respect and kindness Tarambor....

... the fault appears to be mainly isolated to the Focus model from the info on the Facebook page. The engine block might be the same in all cars, but the implementation and ancillary systems are different, plus the ECU settings will be different. For example the turbo in the heavier Focus will probably be used more often and longer periods compared to the Fiesta.

As such that 3 million will be reduced to a much smaller number for only the Focus cars.

The 330 on the Facebook page is mainly UK registrations, again that will reduce the number further from world wide to UK.

Also, the Facebook page is not a comprehensive list of all the incidences of engine failure, and the tip of the iceberg at the moment.

The industry standard defect target of 6 sigma, that is 99.99966% are expected to be free of defects...

The 330 number is much more significant when you consider all the facts.

I work with manufacturers of all sizes from <1m to >1bn in all industries, and not one of them reaches anything close to 3.4/1 mi defects - quoting an arbitrary, ambitious target from a continuous improvement goal doesn't mean Ford or any other automotive manufacturer are working towards or expecting to reach a 6σ goal - if they did, there would be far fewer car dealerships in existence as the incidences of failure in vehicles wouldn't support the size of the networks.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suspect that for cars the percentage suffering from some sort of defect is not that far off 100%. To expect only 0.00034% to have a defect is living in cloud cuckoo land.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure