Loan, Credit card or savings

2»

Comments

• MNM2903
    MNM2903 Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    lopsyfa wrote: »
    Are you sure you can use the help to buy ISA if your GF already has a house?

Yes, you can have one per person and we could have done that in the beginning if we bought a house together but this is her house before we were together, ive not bought a house before so im still eligible and not named on her mortgage.
  • lopsyfa
    lopsyfa Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    Yes, the OP is eligible as a FTB, the GF won't be though.
    MNM2903 wrote: »
    Yes, you can have one per person and we could have done that in the beginning if we bought a house together but this is her house before we were together, ive not bought a house before so im still eligible and not named on her mortgage.

The reason I ask that is because the definition of a first time buyer is very strict “someone who has doesn’t own and has never own an INTEREST in a residential property anywhere in the world whether bought or inherited” (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/help-to-buy-ISA).

The interesting word in that definition is interest. So for example, for a married couple, if one of them has own a house before, the partner is not eligible for the help to buy ISA. What I am not sure is how that applies to people in a relationship, it is why I asked the question.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable than me about the matter will be able to clarify.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure