State Pension estimate

Having seen the news about 3% of estimates in the online state pension estimator being wrong, and read the advice on MSE to ring and ask for a written estimate to cross-check the online one, I did just that - and received an estimate in the post which was just a print-out of the online one! So that avenue for cross-checking has gone...

Graham

Comments

• marinheiro wrote: »
    Having seen the news about 3% of estimates in the online state pension estimator being wrong, and read the advice on MSE to ring and ask for a written estimate to cross-check the online one, I did just that - and received an estimate in the post which was just a print-out of the online one! So that avenue for cross-checking has gone...

Graham
    Exactly what happened to me last October - I was expecting calculations and everything but its just a copy of the website
  • drumtochty
    drumtochty Posts: 440 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The DWP have advised they do not do any further checks on their pension forecasts until around 4 weeks before you receive your state pension.

Therefore not much use to a 40 or 50 year old wanting to keep an accurate check on their future state pension.
  • AndyAdams
    AndyAdams Posts: 58 Forumite
    Only checking 4 weeks before state pension age doesn't help if you are trying to plan when you can retire from work and stop contibution years. I wouldn't want to retire at 55 and then find out when 66 I haven't got enough years for a full state pension.
  • drumtochty
    drumtochty Posts: 440 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Therefore get a sheet together going back to age 16 and work out where you were working, write down the emplyer for each tax year and what you earned each tax year as a as a first step. Then if you were in a private or works pension put that in another colum.

That would be the first steps to understanding what approx state pension you have earned to date if you can post the data. No need for exact figures to the nearest £1,000. Posters on here can assist your calculations.

Poster who have gone to that bother have found their state pension forecast was too low at times.

Some people think that is not their problem and the state should hold the data and they do not have to bother but it is your pension.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure