Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 11, 10:29 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 11, 10:29 PM
    June 2011 Grocery Challenge 26th May 11 at 10:29 PM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2011 at 8:18 PM.
Page 27
    • MILLYMOLLY
    • By MILLYMOLLY 16th Jun 11, 3:27 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 10,632 Thanks
    MILLYMOLLY
    Hi I've just remembered I've got some gammon in the fridge from sunday, do you think it will be ok, and any ideas what to make with it thanks. Or should I just give it the dog
  • cat_smith
    Had to do a top up shop today. Only had the Mr T delivery yesterday. But I needed to take the car out anyway so not too bad. Stuck to the shopping list and picked up some storecupboard whoopsies. Resisted all temptation to buy meat whoopsies as we have a full freezer.

Going to have to rethink the weekend as DH is now going to be about (and grumpy about it) so will have to think up some nice things to do. Bought some alcohol in preparation so 61.18 gone. Ooops
    Last edited by cat_smith; 16-06-2011 at 3:48 PM.
    GC Mar 13 47.36/150
  • espresso21
    No idea what I am going to have for dinner tonight - suspect it will have to be takeaway of some sort as I have to work late and then once I add on the almost 2 hours commuting it's going to be way too late to cook. I have an Indian takeaway close by - maybe I can find something cheapish there (hopefully!).
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 16th Jun 11, 4:34 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    i have decidied to go down the one shop a week route...if we run out tough....i am sick of going out for milk and spending 40....so cold turkey it is...thats no shop visits not the filling of a leftovers pie

regards tessa
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    I was only thinking this just yesterday. I reckon I'm going to do it this week on Sunday, as last Sun I got LOADS of bargains for 10p each at about quarter to 4! 3.50 worth of salmon 10p, 3.50 pie 10p, etcetc, so as I have enough of everything til then, I shall not set foot into a sm until Sun!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • 69chick
    • By 69chick 16th Jun 11, 5:25 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    69chick
    My local sm's never seem to have those really good low offers,no matter when I shop am cooking chilli wraps for tea and have just had to throw a pan of rice in the bin as I overcooked it and it was inedible got a new lot on so fingers crossed we can all eat soon!!

Off to Aldi later, hope they have plenty of stuff in...I don't usually shop late in the day and I know they are not 24hr so am wondering if they might be low on stuff like their super six f&v...

Will update spend later..
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales 150.00
  • cat_smith
    throw a pan of rice in the bin as I overcooked it and it was inedible
    Originally posted by 69chick
    Was it burned? or just soggy. If not burned try turning it into rissoles.
    GC Mar 13 47.36/150
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 16th Jun 11, 6:20 PM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 29,793 Thanks
    tessie bear
    I was only thinking this just yesterday. I reckon I'm going to do it this week on Sunday, as last Sun I got LOADS of bargains for 10p each at about quarter to 4! 3.50 worth of salmon 10p, 3.50 pie 10p, etcetc, so as I have enough of everything til then, I shall not set foot into a sm until Sun!
    Originally posted by PennyGrabber
    hope u will let us know how u get on....those sound great bargains...i havent seen anything that cheap for ages...i will post on how weekly shop goes in our house

regards tessa
    onwards and upwards
    • looie
    • By looie 16th Jun 11, 7:11 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 5,749 Thanks
    looie
    hi all, 1.69 to add to my total. Everything I bought was reduced bunches of asparagus 16p, a pack of chicken for 82p and some watercress.

I am totally amazed I have only spent 29.84 of my 100 budget so far - going really well
  • rosieben
    Hi I've just remembered I've got some gammon in the fridge from sunday, do you think it will be ok, and any ideas what to make with it thanks. Or should I just give it the dog
    Originally posted by MILLYMOLLY
    I don't think I'd eat it tbh, 3 days is my limit for fridge meat; I wouldn't give it to the dog either sorry!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • rosieben
    TheThriftyScrumpers, I've added your Chilli-Lime Meatballs recipe to the index

• espresso21
    Wow you people seem to find such good bargains in the shops - mine don't seem to discount that low.
    I'm miffed now - had a takeaway (cost just over 10) - was a bit of a treat....and it didn't taste that good. I'd rather have my money back!
  • Winged one
    I had to get photos developed today, so parked in the supermarket carpark (have to pay everywhere, but if spend €5 in SM, get 2 hrs free parking). I wanted a loaf of fresh bread for my lunch, and some coleslaw, and the paper. I also got some chicken goujons and nice sausages whoopsied and put those into freezer.

I was able to use the last little bit of cheese sauce from Sunday's batch cooking to make a mac'n'cjeese for DDs dinner (with frozen peas, and frozen chunks of ham leftover from the last joint) - there's enough left of that for my lunch tomorrow. The 3 adults had curries from the freezer, old naan bread (just heated in oven and was fine), and some extra cooked rice from the freezer also (needed to make some room for my whoopsies!!).

I think I've realised that having another adult in the house IS going to increase my food spends. We're coming into some garden produce though, which is helping. Broad beans will start on Saturday!! (Bacon and bean butties are the plan!). The first carrots will be finished off this week, and I hope to get the first peas too. I'll bring home another couple of lettuces from the plot as well, and I just sowed more radishes, spring onions and salad leaves tonight too.

I'm going to use up a packet of crab meat by making crab cakes for Sunday lunch, as a nice treat for DH!! I've a load of breadcrumbs to use up from the freezer, and a carton of eggs to use by Saturday too so I'll be baking too.
    GC 2010 6,000/ 5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: 6,000/
    5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr 587.82/550 May 453.31 /550
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 16th Jun 11, 9:52 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 34,483 Thanks
    XSpender
    40p spent on a naughty packet of crisps today and 8.10 spent on a very naughty takeaway last night due to DH coming in late from a business meeting where he was supposed to be getting fed but didn't. I don't usually include takeaways if we have them as part of our weekend entertainment but this was not even that nice

I have been making a shopping list for the end of the month of all the store cupboard items I have run out of and it's huge Costed it up at Mr S on my supe and it only comes to 31 That includes 100 nappies and 4 packs of wipes, oil, sugar, cocoa, loo roll, kitchen roll, baking marge, foil, tissues, frozen veg and a few other bits.

Lovely tea tonight of pork for DH, Qu0rn pastie for me, roast pots using the last few spuds, last carrot, green beans, last yorkshires and almost the last of the ravy granules.

I do have a lot of baking supplies in (except marge) and have made my friend a cake for changing my tyre and some twinks for lunch boxes tonight. The choc chips I added have melted into the mix and they taste yummy.
  • supersally01
    Spent 10, in Mr T's. Mushrooms 2 for 1, ham, bread, cucumber, and rubbish for OH (pate and cheese).
    • WonderfulLife
    • By WonderfulLife 17th Jun 11, 1:10 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    WonderfulLife
    Hi I'm new to the Grocery Challenge but I've been lurking for a whole and felt I'd likr yo join in. I am aiming to spend no more than 200 per month on groceries as I'm hoping to save enough to clear my mortgage next year. So far this month I have spent 112.26. I started badly by wasting money on diet cokes and chewing gum but then I got on track and have been doing quite well. Tomorrow is a different story I will be taking my family out for a celebration dinner - I'm paying. I've manage to find a really nice buffet place that has a fixed price of 14.60 for dinner but for the 4 of us that's going to come to nearly 60 quid so that will leave me only 28 for the rest of the month. On the good side the freezer is full so the only thing s i should need will be fresh fruit and vegetables so I may keep to my target. I'm going to try my damnedest. It will feel like such a great achievement if I do manage it.

Good Luck to everyonewith their challenges

WonderfulLife
  • rosieben
    Hello WonderfulLife Welcome to the GC

Hope you and your family enjoy the dinner, and good luck with the challenge

• espresso21
    Stuck at work with a pounding migraine where every movement makes my head hurt more and my stomach churn. Not helped by the fact that the migraine tabs cost 4 each! I can't wait for the end of the day even if it is still a long way away. I'm not sure what I will do for dinner tonight - I'm not usually up for cooking or eating when i feel like this so might just pick up some sausages and rolls on the way home and let hubby feed himself! I hate days like this as they make all my meal plans and budgeting fall by the wayside.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 17th Jun 11, 8:35 AM
    • 3,323 Posts
    • 36,400 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    36.51 spent this week, and signature updated. I have stocked up with a few store cupboard bits ready for winter.....cheap pasta etc.I also had my 2 1/2 stone off award this week at fat class, yay!
    July grocery challenge 152.03/300
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 17th Jun 11, 9:41 AM
    • 709 Posts
    • 6,702 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    Wow you people seem to find such good bargains in the shops - mine don't seem to discount that low.
    I'm miffed now - had a takeaway (cost just over 10) - was a bit of a treat....and it didn't taste that good. I'd rather have my money back!
    Originally posted by espresso21
    I'm all too familiar with that situation! as the McD's advert SHOULD say.... "I'm REGRETTING it!"
    Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like...

"Every time you borrow money, you're robbing your future self."

Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want
    • toddles*
    • By toddles* 17th Jun 11, 10:41 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    toddles*
    just been to MrA for my weekly shop and spent 46. Really pleased. I only got a small trolley as Im finding the bigger ones hard to push now Im 7 months pregnant. It really does help having a smaller trolley as It was full to the brim and I was having to put stuff back and I would think twice about putting it in my trolley in the first place.
    My OH's favourite SW recipe for tea - sticky chicken.
    skinned chicken thighs browned with lots of onions, few chilli flakes, 2 tbsp soy sauce and about 15g sweetener. Mix it all up and pop it in the oven in a caserole dish for 30 mins. Serve with baked spuds and salad. nom nom
    Happy days
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

791Posts Today

6,873Users online

Martin's Twitter