PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• turbo5019
    turbo5019 Posts: 331 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Still not spent anything this month been trying to clear out the freezer and cupboads.

I have a cauliflower and I don't know what to do with it all I ever do is boil it.
    I really need a recipe that I can freeze as there is only me to feed at min. Thanks
    GC July £250/
  • lainz
    lainz Posts: 400 Forumite
    Well, after doing so well last month, I'm not doing so well this month! I've already spent £85 of my £95!:eek: Really I only need those world famous fruit and veg for the rest of the month! I have more than enough in the freezer and have meal planned which helps, but i have taken advantage of branston beans being on offer and morrisons have the veggie burgers I like at 80p, so I've a couple of packs of them, also soya dessert I eat is down to £1 in Morrisons and tescos so stocking up on them as they are longer life and soya yoghurt is expensive.

I've loads of cat food in and she's on a diet now as I've been trying to cut her food down and I weighed her tonight and she's put on weight:rolleyes: .

Only 19 days to pay day ..... :eek: :eek: :eek: :D
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just on to update my siggy.My freezer is absolutely stuffed and I blame my DD who loves whoopsie hunting.I got half a shoulder of lamb,calves liver,2 packs of beef mince,pork belly joint,2 packs of chipolatas and smoked haddock for around a fiver. It barely fitted in as I had picked up a few bargains in farmfoods too.They have large low fat ocean crumble @50p and betty smith beef/lamb casserole 800g @75p.I normally cook all that sort of thing myself but at that price its easy enough to make a flavoured loaf or extra veggies to jazz it up.I also made a pot of bolognaise sauce in the SC with all the left over veg,oats for the first time,and some red wine that's been in the fridge for ages.Well seeing I'm on a diet that wine would never have time to get cold in the fridge before! The bolognaise got split in 2 and 1 lot was added to cooked pasta shells with an extra tin of toms and left over cheese grated on top then oven baked.It was gorgeous! Now i just need to stay out the shops.....darn it I need milk and self control!:rotfl:
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Hi everyone. Not a good day today, found myself walking that well trodden track to Lidl just to have a look and ended up spending £13.60. BUT in my defence, I did get 3 x 1.5lt of orange juice for 69p each and can you beat the price of their celeriac at 49p for a big woppa. Also got luxury museli (yummy), finish dishwasher tablets, tins of kidney beans, peas, spaghetti hoops and tomatoes. Also bought bananas, potatoes, ham, oven chips (very naughty) and pasties for a quickie tea, biscuits and bread flour. Maybe not so bad after all but must actually cook something tomorrow and not just keep thinking about it -I blame it on this cold I've got -no energy........except for shopping:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • turbo5019 wrote: »
    Still not spent anything this month been trying to clear out the freezer and cupboads.

I have a cauliflower and I don't know what to do with it all I ever do is boil it.
    I really need a recipe that I can freeze as there is only me to feed at min. Thanks

Hmmm you can make curry with cauliflower in, I bet you could freeze that.

Or put it in a pasta bake?
    August grocery challenge: £50
    Spent so far: £37.40 :A
  • lauradora
    lauradora Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    £5.52 yesterday in the asda as went in for bread rolls and milk and came out with a few more reduced bits and bobs. Also £2.26 today on reduced juice from the co op i got conned into cos I was desperate for change!

New total for month £28.32

Not worried as I need minimal shopping tomorrow just veg really all stocked up on meat and fish
    On a mission
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Cauliflower is a wonderful vegetable. The obvious thing is cheese sauce, perhaps mixed in with other veges and some pasta. But it is better than that. Various ideas:

cauliflower cheese quiche, haven't tried it but it sounded yum: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1435/cauliflower-cheese-and-bacon-quiche
    use as mash instead of potato: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/cauliflowermash_76888.shtml is a fancy version but you can make it with ordinary milk and butter too
    And then there's curry: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5233/cauliflower-curry, http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4287/tomato-cauliflower-and-spinach-curry
    Or you could roast it: http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/000933roasted_cauliflower.php

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/recipes/roasted-cauliflower-with-pine-nuts-and-raisins-542080.html

Hope these give you some ideas - they have certainly reminded me that the cauli in my fridge is destined to greater things than boiling.

PS: my family are darlings, Sharron, daughter said the quiche was the best ever and DH agreed. Even fussy son ate the wholemeal pastry and gave me a thumbs up (thank you Rose Elliott, I have loved your bean book for many years but had forgotten the basics at the back). We ate the leftovers for lunch at work the next day. Quiche is on the next-week-but-one plan too (too much food, can't recycle ideas that fast).
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • hi. On track so far. Have spent £98.35/£250 and that includes school lunches so am wellpleased x
    5 Year plan. April 2020 to June 2025- CC and mortgage free by time I'm 60
    Currently CC £23,674.36 /£14,895.41/£14315.42
    Mortgage £28,214.65/ £26,254.71/ £25,746.43
    By end 2020 I want CC at £ 19,000.00.
    By end 2021 I want CC at £10,000.00
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well today did what hubby calls most depressing shpp ever had just £10 to spend in lidls and we running ver low now and payday not until 15th!
    was hard but got quite few tinned things,some fresh veg,frozen chips bread and milk!
    Im going have to be more imagainative with whats there!
    oh bit down we have hardly any nice food
    gona bake biscuit tommorow to cheer him up
    going to attemt veg curry know oh wont rate it.

off to upate sig to 44.60/200.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • gailey wrote: »
    Well today did what hubby calls most depressing shpp ever had just £10 to spend in lidls and we running ver low now and payday not until 15th!
    was hard but got quite few tinned things,some fresh veg,frozen chips bread and milk!
    Im going have to be more imagainative with whats there!
    oh bit down we have hardly any nice food
    gona bake biscuit tommorow to cheer him up
    going to attemt veg curry know oh wont rate it.

off to upate sig to 44.60/200.

I'm not sure if these have been posted on here before, so apologise if they have, I thought they might help.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1129333

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1157641
    Back on MSE again! to take control of my finances and not let it control me. :T May grocery challenge £41.96/140
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure