Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Xplosivgas
    • By Xplosivgas 19th May 19, 6:15 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 21Thanks
    Xplosivgas
    Clear a large shed of junk
    • 19th May 19, 6:15 PM
    Clear a large shed of junk 19th May 19 at 6:15 PM
    I have a large shed which is almost the size of a garage. It's full of junk - mainly old carpets, black bags of wallpaper and dismantled ikea furniture etc

I can't bring myself to take a dozen trips to the recycling plant, so thinking of getting someone in to clear it for me. Anyone got an idea of the going rate for this? I'm hoping a price of about 200 - is that remotely realistic?!

Thanks
Page 1
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 19th May 19, 6:29 PM
    • 36,190 Posts
    • 22,286 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 19th May 19, 6:29 PM
    • 19th May 19, 6:29 PM
    If you can sort it and identify if stuff is complete/usable you might get takers on the likes of free cycle/trash nothing

Even stuff like carpet scraps if natural fibre go for covering ground.
    • Chop-D
    • By Chop-D 19th May 19, 7:41 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Chop-D
    • 19th May 19, 7:41 PM
    • 19th May 19, 7:41 PM
    If you can photograph anything reusable gumtree is also another good place to give away stuff for free if people come and collect. Facebook marketplace also has the option to give away for free. Have used both to save extra trips to the tip!
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 19th May 19, 7:48 PM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 1,959 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 19th May 19, 7:48 PM
    • 19th May 19, 7:48 PM
    I'm hoping a price of about 200 - is that remotely realistic?!
    Originally posted by Xplosivgas

Depends on what you expect.

Taken away to tip at commercial rates and properly disposed of. I think it is far to low (may depend of where you are by how much).

Dumped in the nearest layby on thier way to the next job, probably about right.
    • ka7e
    • By ka7e 19th May 19, 8:01 PM
    • 2,422 Posts
    • 1,960 Thanks
    ka7e
    • 19th May 19, 8:01 PM
    • 19th May 19, 8:01 PM
    I'm clearing my house/shed/garden prior to moving and I've been amazed at what people will cart away for you if you advertise it for free. Carpet pieces to go under paddling pools or for shed floors, broken paving slabs for a hard-standing for a motorbike and almost any wood for log burners. Old tools have gone to the local Man's Shed, metal to the scrap man and I've topped up my non-recyclable waste bin with the absolute dross.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 23rd May 19, 5:51 AM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 3,980 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 23rd May 19, 5:51 AM
    • 23rd May 19, 5:51 AM
    Be careful to take full details and a proper receipt from a registered, known clearance company. 200 doesn't sound like much to be honest to clear out and properly dispose of a large shedfull of "stuff". In my area, the tip charge for a small commercial van is about 40 per load.
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 23rd May 19, 6:01 AM
    • 10,620 Posts
    • 128,594 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 23rd May 19, 6:01 AM
    • 23rd May 19, 6:01 AM
    Have a yard sale first / offer free of charge from your drive, ie put outside with a sign
    Offer the items FOC on face book and alike
    Take items to a car boot and sell
    Then take what is let to the tip
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on! - 23 and counting
    I can do this, I will do this...
    • _shel
    • By _shel 23rd May 19, 6:07 AM
    • 1,984 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    _shel
    • 23rd May 19, 6:07 AM
    • 23rd May 19, 6:07 AM
    https://www.anyjunk.co.uk/

Really like these because you can get skips or guys to carry it out. I cleared half a garage for 180 and they recycle what they can.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

360Posts Today

5,029Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin