Clear a large shed of junk

I have a large shed which is almost the size of a garage. It's full of junk - mainly old carpets, black bags of wallpaper and dismantled ikea furniture etc

I can't bring myself to take a dozen trips to the recycling plant, so thinking of getting someone in to clear it for me. Anyone got an idea of the going rate for this? I'm hoping a price of about £200 - is that remotely realistic?!

Thanks

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    If you can sort it and identify if stuff is complete/usable you might get takers on the likes of free cycle/trash nothing

Even stuff like carpet scraps if natural fibre go for covering ground.
  • Chop-D
    Chop-D Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you can photograph anything reusable gumtree is also another good place to give away stuff for free if people come and collect. Facebook marketplace also has the option to give away for free. Have used both to save extra trips to the tip!
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Xplosivgas wrote: »
    I'm hoping a price of about £200 - is that remotely realistic?!

Depends on what you expect.

Taken away to tip at commercial rates and properly disposed of. I think it is far to low (may depend of where you are by how much).

Dumped in the nearest layby on thier way to the next job, probably about right.
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I'm clearing my house/shed/garden prior to moving and I've been amazed at what people will cart away for you if you advertise it for free. Carpet pieces to go under paddling pools or for shed floors, broken paving slabs for a hard-standing for a motorbike and almost any wood for log burners. Old tools have gone to the local Man's Shed, metal to the scrap man and I've topped up my non-recyclable waste bin with the absolute dross.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    Be careful to take full details and a proper receipt from a registered, known clearance company. £200 doesn't sound like much to be honest to clear out and properly dispose of a large shedfull of "stuff". In my area, the tip charge for a small commercial van is about £40 per load.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Have a yard sale first / offer free of charge from your drive, ie put outside with a sign
    Offer the items FOC on face book and alike
    Take items to a car boot and sell
    Then take what is let to the tip
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    https://www.anyjunk.co.uk/

Really like these because you can get skips or guys to carry it out. I cleared half a garage for £180 and they recycle what they can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure