PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• My problem is I see a reduction and then think what do I have to regig in the freezer to get THAT In
    Same here, i cant pass the reductions by. Ive jigged and rejigged my freezer and taken out 2 drawers to get it all in and now ive started on veg reductions!! I must stop, although this week ive only spent £11 and have more than enough to last me more than a few months (freezer contents that is). I look at it as long as i dont throw it away, its not a waste. Ive had some rare concoctions (SP?) for meals though :rotfl:
  • lbnblbnb wrote: »
    Still snowing on and off here, but not settling. Baking done with my five year old, lovely times. His sister is out for the afternoon so just me and him. I have cleared up and hoovered (don't ask!). Trying to use up ingredients so we made prune (chopped up small) scones and white chocolate and glac! cherry muffins. Fridge bread begun too.

I have some mixed peel left from Christmas, what can I do with it? A bit stumped.

Whats Fridge bread and do you have a recipe?
    Seal pot challenge no 7- :) # 331 Saved £140 SPC - Target £30
    Grocery challenge - £100 a week
    Weekly Spend Challenge - £40 :)
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,842
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi all,

£4 in T's just now on 2 bags Har!bo, prepped and diced carrot, swede and potato, 6 pk wm rolls and 2 ys BoB Hov!s reduced to 20p each.

Strange tonight as DH is on a stag night in Leeds, DD and DS2 are both on sleepovers arranged lastminute yesterday, so just DS1 and his friend playing on the console in the other room plus me!

I did all the ironing earlier and have had 3 wm loads on today - I really know how to live!

Off to watch some wallpaper TV - love the trashy stuff and never get to watch it usually :rotfl:

Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill 1/24
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    edited 2 February 2013 at 8:20PM
    Dizzymcf wrote: »
    Help. Tried to make lemon curd in slow cooker but its very runny....so I had a quick look on mse and found a recipe for making ice cream using mascarpone.....my iPad died and now I can't find the recipe again. I've been looking for ages and am about to cry ... Can anyone point me in the right direction please !

Mine turned out quite runny and despite refridgerating for a couple of days only thicken up very slightly. I used a recipe from here too. The recipe i used was THIS ONE.

I used the lemon curd up today by using some to fill a sponge cake and mixed some with icing sugar to make a really yummy icing for the top of the cake.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • lbnblbnb
    lbnblbnb Posts: 567
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Whats Fridge bread and do you have a recipe?

http://mortgagefreeinthree.com/2013/01/the-most-expensive-loaf-of-bread-in-the-world/
    It is dough that you start (very simple recipe) and then keep in the fridge. You can use it for bread, pizza dough, wraps... She explains it all in her blog post. I was a little sceptical, but we made it and it was great. It has a sour dough taste, but if you like that I would really recommend it. As she says, if it keeps you from nipping to the shops because you have run out of bread and coming home £20 lighter....!
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July £91:15/£150 61%

Save £12,000 in 2013 No. 188 £7382/£12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Our first shop of the month came to 5.57, not bad for 2 300g packs of lamb mince, 2 packs of smoked salmon and toilet rolls.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    edited 2 February 2013 at 8:40PM
    Made a 'squidgy lemon curd cake x 2.

150 grams plain flour
    3 x tsp baking powder
    4 x eggs
    150 grams sugar

Whisk eggs. Add sugar, whisk together. Add flour and baking powder and mix well. Pour in to 2 cake tins/sillicone cake 'tins'.

Microwave each for between 3 and 5 minutes. Remove from bakeware and cool on a cooling rack.

For the topping and filling....

1 or 2 cups icing sugar

Lemon curd

Slice open/sandwich and together with lemon curd.

Mix icing sugar and lemon curd to make a thickish icing for the topping.

Within ten minutes 2 x cakes. Yum.

Made root veg curry in slow cooker which we had for tea and there are 3 large portions for the freezer.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • wuvvies
    wuvvies Posts: 324 Forumite
    adding my first spend of 53.08 for week 1 out of 250 pounds for the month. really pleased with this altough have got 7 pounds in my purse for any extras i may need in the week.
  • elizabunny wrote: »
    Just popping on to report my disgraceful £68 shopping spend total for yesterday & Thursday!

Equally disgraceful £70.22 spent this morning at Sainsbugs :eek:

That said, I spent £20 on booze and chocolates for tomorrow's visit by inlaws who celebrated 40 years married this week; £24 on 8 x salmon fillets (honey and soy glazed salmon tomorrow for lunch, followed by cheesecake - shop bought, couldn't be bothered making my own!), 5 chicken breasts, pork joint, and 20 rashers of bacon. And the rest, really, just on stuff (fruit, bread, veg...am genuinely not sure :o). Will need to do a fuller shop come the week really but don't intend to spend on any meat (despite needing mince really). Will sort meal planner and see. I'm more than a little disappointed to be honest - after doing so well last month, I really thought I'd cracked it. Back to basics this week - I promise!
    GC 2014: Jan £24.68/£400 :)
  • I've done so much shopping today that I'm feeling a little light headed. Mr T, L1dl and the Asian market. €69.71 in total.

Lots of baking supplies, lunchbox stuff, entirely lucked out on the YS veg to the point that my fridge will hardly close plus have a 10kg bag of Japanese rice (which should keep me going til Summer) and a whole lot of other bits and pieces.
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure