Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 11, 10:29 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 11, 10:29 PM
    June 2011 Grocery Challenge 26th May 11 at 10:29 PM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2011 at 8:18 PM.
Page 25
    • JIL
    • By JIL 14th Jun 11, 8:11 PM
    • 4,415 Posts
    • 23,959 Thanks
    JIL
    2 NSDs in a row for me

I have lots of qu0rn and veggie mince in the freezer but need some inspiration of what to cook with it. I always do chilli, shepherds pie, bolognaise and the odd mousakka but need a few new ideas.
    Originally posted by XSpender
    I like this made with quorn mince http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/461642/keema-with-peas

There are also a few recipes on the quorn site

http://www.quorn.co.uk/Recipes/
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 14th Jun 11, 8:30 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 34,483 Thanks
    XSpender
    I like this made with quorn mince http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/461642/keema-with-peas

There are also a few recipes on the quorn site

http://www.quorn.co.uk/Recipes/
    Originally posted by JIL
    Thanks for the link. My DH would definately lke the spicy dish and I fancy the lasagne from the qu0rn site.
  • espresso21
    I agree totally 69Chick. We are eating much better food. We used to have takeaway and eat out far too often; now I cook at home every night. I was hoping I would lose weight as an added bonus but that hasn't happened yet sadly!
  • seductivesmile
    Hi All,
    Just checking in, had a bit of a silly splurge, but i'm going to put it down to SPAVING! lol - however i now have 18tins chopped tomatoes, 28tins tuna, 17tins baked beans, 760Tea bags, 4.5kg Bread flour, 18loo rolls, 11kg Pasta, 3kg Rice (mix of brown and white) 18 chicken breasts, 1.5kg Mince steak, 4 pork chops, 4 x6pack N8trigrain bars. . . i need to find somewhere to store it all.
    As a consequence i have got myself a little green notepad, and written all the food in my flat and worked out i have about 100meals worth of dinners between the freezer and cupboards. With that i have 2x2pints of long life (Cr*vendale mimic) milk in the fridge, Loaf of bread in the freezer, lots of apples, satsumas in the fridge, a pineapple i diced up tonight and tinned fruit in cupboard.
    So if i am honest i am hoping not to spend anything until the end of next week at the soonest! fingers crossed
    On a happy note, even if i do have to spend next weekend, i have 16 of clubcard vouchers saved up, and also i won one of the m*rrisons 'oh the quiche' comp on faceb00k for a 5 voucher. A car full of petrol, only need to put some money on the electric meter then the debit card won't be leaving the flat!

Does anyone have any ideas apart from the normal for mince? or for that matter chicken?
    THanks in advance!
    Have a lovely cheap week all!

SS x
    Each day is a new beginning, look at what you have an be grateful for every tiny thing. You don't know when it may be taken away.
  • katholicos
    Nsd today (tuesday). Removed home made bolognese from freezer and also a home made vegetarian meal and took it all to mums so we could eat together. Tomorrow will be a gc spend day as i am trying to get DD to take some responsibiity in the house and she has worked out some meals she will be cooking this next week ahead and I shall be giving her a tenner to buy some of the ingredients tomorrow when she is going shopping.

Fortunately i have, or am growing quite a few of the things she needs for the recipes, so it will keep the costs down. Also, today i received a couple of used books i'd brought via ebay 'Rose Elliots Bean Book and the other one is called something like 'not just a load of old lentils' As DD is a vegetarian I thought it would be helpul for us to expand our meal plan as i'm sick of the predictability of our meals of late (i was a vegetarian for 18 years but am not now, but don;t mind eating a largely vegetarian diet).

Will add on tht tenner to my signature tomorrow (wednesday)
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 15th Jun 11, 7:46 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 10,219 Thanks
    Living proof
    I left DH's 14 pack of baccy and a TV guide behind after I bought them in Morrisons on Saturday, called up the next day but it hadn't been logged so that's money lost too. Bummer isn't it?

Have no onions left, half my meals require onions. If I go shopping for onions I will buy more than onions... hmmm... dilemma!
    Originally posted by ragz

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Ragz. It's all the more upsetting when you realise how much saving you have to do on other items to make up the 14. At least the baccy is a luxury and not something essential for a child, for instance. Hope you find a tenner in the street this week!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 15th Jun 11, 8:56 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    morning all, today is a nsd food wise, i need to put desil in my car or i'll never get to the nursery and back lol, i still have awful toothache (you all probably thinking no wonder with all the rubbish she buys but it's a problematic tooth anyway, my dentist wanted me to leave it and see how it wnet last time and it did calm down so i'm gonna wait til monday before i go see her just incase)

were having leftover pork casarole and roasties for tea, but my mouths so sore i'm just gonna have soup or something like that, i could barely manage scrambled egg

am i the only one who roughtly costs meals all the time lol, i like relising how cheap is it, for example last nights tea for all 5 of us was 41p then oh had some bread that had been reduced so another 12p, or our breakfast this morning was more reduced bread so 9p and 3 eggs so 24p for me and DS3 (and he loves scambled egg) then i liek to compare it to how much it would cost if i bought it in a cafe it gives me a great sense of achivement knowing just how much i've saved by making my own
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 15th Jun 11, 9:54 AM
    • 709 Posts
    • 6,700 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    another top up shop yesterday at Lidl, 6.70 spent, BUT bought milk for a pound and prawns etc so bargains really!
    Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like...

"Every time you borrow money, you're robbing your future self."

Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want
    • cookiemum
    • By cookiemum 15th Jun 11, 11:10 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 2,119 Thanks
    cookiemum
    DD's bday yesterday so had party tea for family so added 57.36 to total!! Also included toilet rolls from co op. Great offer if anyone in need - 18 rolls for 6 Triple velvet.

Still need F & V so planning quick trip to Mr L later. May resist getting a trolley as I always manage to add extras! Chicken pasta bake for tea.
    Enjoy your day

February Grocery Challenge 301.46/300
    To feed - Me, DH, DD, DS and 1 dog

• prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 15th Jun 11, 1:18 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    Have just totted up spends this month so far 80.19, I will need milk and baby yoghurt before next week's bedget starts but I'm really pleased so far

I reckon I'll come in at about 130-140 at the end of the month, and the budget is 200 so
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
    • TheThriftyScrumpers
    • By TheThriftyScrumpers 15th Jun 11, 1:36 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 5,359 Thanks
    TheThriftyScrumpers
    Well, not doing too badly. My spends so far total 205.70. I made some pasta sauce in the slow cooker on monday which I am going to turn into a big batch of spaghetti bolognaise later. Also going to make a big chilli at the same time for the freezer.

Waitrose also have a good offer on toilet rolls at the moment. Charmin Toilet rolls, packs of 4 cost 2 but they are on bogof.

I hope you all have a good day
    GC Mar 11 437.08Apr 11 459.26 May 11 485.52 June 11 423.79July 11 409.22 Aug 11 250.10Sept 11 396.14Oct 11 382.37Nov 11 372.55Dec 11 332.29 Jan 12 375.19:Feb 12 349.58Mar 12 279.66Apr 12 249.12May 12 337.66/Jun 12 362.58/Jul 12 317.03/Aug 12 354.02/Sept 439.72/Oct 12 210.16
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 15th Jun 11, 1:54 PM
    • 4,328 Posts
    • 29,793 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...nsd today which makes a change...got sc beef for tea and its started raining so thats suitable...i thought it would be hot when we were eating it

just made a meal plann for a week and a shopping list...aldi change their super6 offers on sun...i think...so i might go and have a look at them

need to do some baking as have nowt in the tin

tata tessa
    onwards and upwards
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 15th Jun 11, 2:05 PM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 49,600 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Spent €45.40 in Lidl today, that's it until Monday week as we will be away, meant to go to Aldi too as they have pineapples on special but forgot until I was home, will be nearby swimming to-night so will go then if I can get in early enough...love pineapple and would like to dry some while they cheap.

Good luck all

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • cat_smith
    Mr T coc*ed up in my favor for a change I ordered and was charged for 3 Imp Leather Foamburst and was delivered 6. Saving of 5 (They were on offer - so actually I suppose I saved 10.24)

No substitutions and went through Qu**co so free on delivery.

Quite happy with that. 66.01 to add to my total.
    GC Mar 13 47.36/150
    • tootoo
    • By tootoo 15th Jun 11, 2:30 PM
    • 671 Posts
    • 3,044 Thanks
    tootoo
    Hello all,
    I've spent 3.38 the last few days, still not doing too bad and we're half way through June so I'm quite proud of myself!!!!
    MFW.....Apr 33 Aim - Dec 26
  • espresso21
    Hi All,

Does anyone have any ideas apart from the normal for mince? or for that matter chicken?
    THanks in advance!
    Have a lovely cheap week all!

SS x
    Originally posted by seductivesmile
    I've got a mince curry recipe if you're interested. Goes really well with a hm paratha
    • 69chick
    • By 69chick 15th Jun 11, 5:46 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    69chick
    I've got a mince curry recipe if you're interested. Goes really well with a hm paratha
    Originally posted by espresso21
    Yes Pleeaassee
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales 150.00
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 15th Jun 11, 6:11 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,664 Thanks
    sistercas
    just done my shopping list ready for tomorrow, for a!di, sains,and t3sco comes to 61 i really wanted it under 50 ( DH's beer has put 10 on )

theres no meat on the list either as i still have some in the freezer and theres no biscuits or sweets . its shocking how much food has increased.

ive got plenty of baking stuff in so will make a cake and some scones
  • espresso21
    Indian-style mince with potatoes and peas.
    Serves 4
    Cooks in about 30 min

3 tbsp ghee (it says this in the recipe but I leave it out - after all the mince will have some fat and I don't think added fat is necessary)

600g mince (I use beef but the recipe says pork would work too)

2 onions, chopped

2 garlic cloves, chopped

2 chillies, cut in to rings (I removed the seeds so it wasn't too hot)

1tsp fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped

1 tsp cumin seeds

1tsp garam masala

1/2 tsp turmeric

250 ml beef stock (I used those gel pots)

300g / 2 cups diced baking potatoes

1 tbsp paprika

150g / 1 cup frozen peas

pinch cayenne pepper

salt to season

Gently fry the meat until lightly browned. Add the onions, garlic, chilli, ginger, cumin seeds, garam masala and turmeric and cook on a medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the stock, potatoes and paprika and cook on low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. (I found I needed to cook it for a little longer to get the potatoes cooked through and had to add a little more water / stock). Stir in the peas and simmer for a further 10 min. Season with salt or cayenne pepper and serve.

I would serve this with either rice, wraps or homemade rotis (which are very cheap and easy to make)
  • 123budget
    Haven't been on th forum much this month, have completely lost track of grocery shopping and would guess I am way over the huge budget I had already set myself. Two more birthdays and a prom to go I think my main aim is now try not to get overdrawn this month!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 / no. 1205 110 made]Sealed Pot Challenge 2012/no 1205 target 300
    Jan g/c 355.83/450
    g/c Feb487.66/400
    March 411.03/450
    To feed 5 adults and 2 dogs includes toiletries & cleanining
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,100Posts Today

7,341Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin