Can you buy alcohol at Tesco at any time of day/night

2»

Comments

• rumncoke
    rumncoke Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Many thanks for all your replies. Aiming to go about 8ish but I will ring them before I go just to check.
  • ste_coxy
    ste_coxy Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    you should be fine if it is a 24 hour store... the new licencing laws made it so that you can buy 24 hours - they used 2 block those particular aisles off before the laws but they are fully accessable these days

PS: sorry to be pedantic however, licence is the noun and license is the verb unless you are american where they spell both same
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 December 2010 at 9:48PM
    rumncoke wrote: »
    Many thanks for all your replies. Aiming to go about 8ish but I will ring them before I go just to check.

i would have thought you would be ok at that time,
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ste_coxy wrote: »
    you should be fine if it is a 24 hour store... the new licencing laws made it so that you can buy 24 hours

No they didn't, they made it so licence holders can sell it 24 hours per day, but only if they want to and the local council allows them to.

sorry to be pedantic ;)
  • Each shop has its own alcohol licence so times that alcohol can be served will vary from store to store. Some local authorities don't issue many 24 hour alcohol licences whilst others issue them more freely. There is a website where you can find shops that sell alcohol 24 hours a day in London which I find rather useful. I'm not sure if there are similar sites listing 24 hour off licences in other parts of the UK (maybe worth searching for).

:beer:
  • spaceman5
    spaceman5 Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    jenniewb wrote: »
    Bingo! ^ This ^ is right, they all are different and have to apply to the local council for a licence at an individual rate. It depends on the council as to weather they feel it will be abused or will be of use. Not all stores have the licence.

think you mean it depends on how much the retailer bungs the council, more than anything
    Take every day as it comes!!
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Alcohol can only be sold in supermarkets in Scotland between 1000 - 2200 7 days a week.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I know what my previous reply said but ive seen in a 24 hours tesco the alcohol aisles open for customers to drink whereas on a friday or saturday night its cornered off
  • cagsd
    cagsd Posts: 7,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Our local Tesco is a 24-hour one, but I'm almost certain I noticed a sign at the door saying that it does not sell alcohol between Friday 10pm and Saturday 8am. I think all the rest of the time though it does... it's open from 8am Monday to either 10pm or midnight Saturday, and it's only Friday night that's limited.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure