PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freecycle etiquette

I am using freecyle to give away items which the charity shop will not take. I am new to freecycle and was hoping there might be some freecycle experts here who can advise me. I have over a dozen people interested in an item and the person I chose to give it to has not replied to my email offer which I made 24 hours ago.

Is this too soon to expect a reply to my email asking when can they collect, or should I offer it to another frecycler. No sure of freecycle etiqutte so comments appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Hi there,
    I do a lot of stuff through Freecycle - I wait a couple of days after sending the "congrats you've won the time" message before sending a second email - if I have to send a second/nudging email I always give them a deadline to either a) be in touch and confirm they still want the item or b) setting a deadline for collection.

I don't update Freecycle with the "item taken" message until it has actually gone.

I always email the unlucky applicants as I'll often get a "oh no gutted as would have loved that item" and I tend to offer the uncollected item to them as in " wasn't collected do you still want it"

I love Freecycle but often people have busy lives so I have found being accommodating but not a walkover has paid dividends!
  • jim1999
    jim1999 Posts: 171
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I always advise that I will give it to whoever gives me the earliest firm time to collect it.

Got so fed up of people saying yes, and then changing their mind part way through or pushing back the collection time - it was becoming more hassle than it was worth.

In this scenario I'd be inclined to let them know that it needs to be gone by end of tomorrow, and if they can't commit to that you'll have to offer to someone else.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    I agree a time / date before giving my full address. Often if the person has changed their mind they don't bother to reply to that. I give them a second chance / deadline to respond by then offer to the next person.

As working mum says, be accommodating but not a walkover, you are doing them a favour after all by giving something away for free.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I've given stuff away on Freecycle but tbh its a big hassle, especially when people don't turn up / waste your time. Email ID is revealed after the first email so the last thing I would want to give away is my phone number as well as my address and email to a complete stranger!

I get more satisfaction posting under "Freebies" in Gumtree. You can hide your location on the map after the first part of the postcode, and all comms are via Gumtree mail / phone no, whichever route suits you. Stuff goes within hours and I find people that use it to be much more community-minded.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I'm a Freecycle moderator on a group and I would go with post 3. Tell them they can have it but a failure to respond within a day and it goes to the next person etc.

However, a lot of freecylce mail goes to the junk folder if you haven't specifically added it to the don't go there rules and if you are a new member...So just check your mail to make sure you have't received anything there.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • I agree with -taff (second time today!). I have done a lot of Freecycle.
    I give a response time rather than 'within a day', eg: If I have not heard from you by 8pm on Sunday......'
    I do the same when we are arranging collection times. I say 'It would be convenient for you to collect at any time on Friday, but please give me an approximate time. If I do not hear from you by (insert time) then it will be re-offered'
    I always add dimensions for anything large and state how many people may be needed to load / unload.
  • Thanks for the advice. It's been 48 hours and no response. I have informed the first person that in view of lack of response I assume they are not interested and have offered to another person. In future I will give them a deadline to respond by as this is frustrating and I could have taken it to the tip yesterday when I drove passed. One person has asked me 4 times if it is available. I wonder if he is a trader as he also keeps posting wants.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure