Get out of contract and claim money back easily?

Options
I was comparing deals on TalkTalk's webpage. They are all over the shop when it comes to Megabits and Megabytes.

MB/s is megabytes per second whereas Mb/s is megabits per second.

There's a huge difference. 10 MB/s is equal to 80 Mb/s (8 megabits in a megabyte)

In the TalkTalk chat window the operator was insisting the quoted speeds were megabytes per second

2 years ago when I worked for BT I'd overhear colleagues promising speeds of up to 80 megabytes per second (that's about one mp3 album per second!)

Do you think that if your ISP sells you a package with information that exaggerates your speed by, not even double or quadruple but EIGHT times overestimated then at any point in your contract you'd be able to walk away?

I was clear with the operator to tell me what the letters meant next to the speed. If those are the letters in the contract and I record an audio or text chat then I think I'd have a case? :money:

This page explains it

One quote from that page shows an even bigger bit / byte error:
At the start of last year TalkTalk’s Chief Technology Officer, Clive Dorsman, claimed that their data traffic had passed a new peak of 557GBps on New Year’s Day. After several attempts to clarify, the operator stuck to their story, although it later transpired that the updates had been posted by a PR person and in actual fact the result was 557Gbps (Gigabits) not GigaBytes. So for a brief period TalkTalk had claimed to become one of the biggest overall networks in the whole world.

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wrong way round oops, easily done! :o

But still youre being pedantic, internet is megabits per second, file transfer is megabytes per second and you know this, youre just trying to take advantage of someone who doesnt. Your contract will clarify things for you.
  • ChristineSharp
    Options
    If I switch and am locked into an 18 month or even 24 month contract and I don't like the service or the price becomes uncompetitive and I want to switch and they pedantically point out that I need to pay for the remaining months then I'll pedantically point out that they've not provided what I was promised and take it from there :D
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As others have done .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If I switch and am locked into an 18 month or even 24 month contract and I don't like the service or the price becomes uncompetitive and I want to switch and they pedantically point out that I need to pay for the remaining months then I'll pedantically point out that they've not provided what I was promised and take it from there :D

And get absolutely nowhere.
  • ChristineSharp
    Options
    You sound like you would give up without trying Colin.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/your-new-rights-quit-mid-12108366
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thread title is misleading .
    No mention of low speed in title .

Not forgetting that many instances of low speed are user not ISP . Multiple instances on here of max speed at the box but poor indoor connections or poor WiFi.
    Whats missing is a basic check before getting the ISP involved and potential OR charges.

Yes if you have a poor service you should be able to get out FOC . But if you worked for BT you will know that complaints re slow speed is often not the ISP but the user .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You sound like you would give up without trying Colin.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/your-new-rights-quit-mid-12108366

Did you give up after just reading the headline? That's got absolutely nothing to do with the nonsense that you started this thread with 2 weeks ago. I'm guessing that you've not actually followed up your post by talking to them?

I must admit, I'd love to hear the conversation when you state you can leave and get a full refund because the Daily Mirror said so :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Whats missing is a basic check before getting the ISP involved and potential OR charges.
    I suggest you re-read the original post, as I think you've misunderstood.
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Yes if you have a poor service you should be able to get out FOC . But if you worked for BT you will know that complaints re slow speed is often not the ISP but the user .
    The OP is not complaining of poor speeds though, he or she is considering a complaint about the description of the speeds on Talk Talk webpage. He or she hopes that ISP's call centre will be manned by staff who have no idea of the difference between Megabits and Megabytes and that a recording of said ignorance will allow her or him an early exit mid minimum term.

Actually, I'm not even sure this thread should be taken seriously. The link provided to back-up the OP's preposterous contention is completely irrelevant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure