Dongle and router same provider vastly different speed

Hi

I am currently in circumstances where a landline is not an option, so a few months ago I bought a Network 3 dongle on PAYG and have been generally happy with the speed. Not happy with the value though, so I've just signed up for a wireless router (Huawei Home-Fi) again with 3, as the data allowance per month makes much more sense. After a few days i'm finding the speed is far far worse than the dongle, even using the supplied ethernet cable.

Surely as it's the same network the speed should be the same, or am I missing something? I think I'm still in timeframe for returning the router as faulty, but thought would ask you good people for advice before doing so. Thanks.

Comments

• Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    There is a lot more to it than simply the same network unfortunately.

From the technical side of it you've got the chipset used in the dongle vs the router, then you've got the antenna*, and even just the position of the two relative to each other affect how well it will work.
    Think of how two people on the same mobile network might be in the same room but one gets a worse signal than the other their mobile, or how you might have to stand in a specific spot to get a good signal on your mobile.

Does the router have any signal strength indication, and does it vary if you move it around?
    You might find that there is a sweet spot that will give you a better signal and speed.

*You get the same issue with normal wifi. (there are some well known issues with some manufactures of wifi chips used in mobile phones having issues with the wifi in some of the biggest brands of router).
  • Thanks will give it a go
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport