It's not a lot, but it's enough

Comments

• SpekySquarehead
    SpekySquarehead Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Interview done.

Went well, I think. Only time will tell I suppose. No curveball questions to throw me off. I'm lucky enough to get through then I'll be invited back for a 2nd interview which I assume will be much more demanding than the 20 min presentation I had today.

Keep you posted.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Hi!!

So yesterday I bought some stuff from Aldi and spent pennies on what I’d usually spend plus the £8 for parking at the interview.

Today and tomorrow will be NSD’s. In fact, today won’t be. I’ve to pay for the stag do this weekend, £100, damn!

My MSE tasks for today are;
    - Update YNAB
    - Apply for a balance transfer for my Tesco Card which is now charging interest
  • SpekySquarehead
    Yesterday I achieved half of what I set out to do and I spent a good chunk of time on YNAB, getting to grips with it and checking it matched with my bank accounts. Didn't get the time to change my CC though, I'll need to do that tomorrow night.

I paid off my balance on my TV that I bought amidst the spending madness! So that's an extra £150 I'll have a month to put towards savings!!! As this is an immediate obligation payment, as long as I don't spend anything else, I will take this a NSD.

Dinner tonight with my GF's parents in Glasgow which I've been told is on them, so should be a cheap night.

With the stag do this weekend, I'm trying to forecast my costs which is difficult, no idea what we'll do. Thankfully it's only 1 night so surely it can't be that bad....surely.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Morning.

The dinner last night was lovely. My MSE is rubbing off on my GF as she had a card that would give us 40% off!!! Was really nice to get to know her dad better and hopefully it'll be the first of many nice get togethers.

Because of the above, I spent £0 yesterday (apart from my TV). Today however will be costly as I need to prepare for the weekend away and buy something with a bit of fibre for lunch.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Morning,

Returned from stag do and a busy weekend.

Stag was a bit of a blur to be honest and thankfully the bank balance wasn’t hit too hard. Purchased a pressie for my friends sons 2nd birthday with a budget of £15. Of course, I’d love to spend more on him if I could. I’ll give my exercise class tonight a miss which would’ve been another £5, and not because of money – mainly because I’m still not 100% from the weekend.

Bad news; I didn’t get the job!! Gutted. I’ve been told it came down to experience so it’s not something I could’ve changed during the interview/presentation.

I sorted my balance transfer yesterday away from Tesco as my 0% interest was up. Barclays were very easy to deal with over the phone and I was very impressed with the simplicity of it all. There was a fee for the transfer but this was minimal in comparison to the interest I was due to pay, so happy days.

I think that’s all from me for now folks.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Yesterday I received a text from a family member letting me know that my gran has been taken off her IV drips and given that she's not eating or drinking, so I cancelled my plans and went in to visit her for a couple of hours although she was sleeping so didn't get a response.

The last time I visited her, there was another patient in the same ward who didn't have any visitors and every now again I caught her looking over. I got up to go to the toilet and she said "excuse me son" as I walked past and she went on to offer me chocolate to give to my gran, as she had noticed that she responds well to sweet things (which is true, she has a sweet tooth). I was incredibly touched by her kindness and generosity in offering her own chocolate, such a simple offering but meant to much. I declined as my gran wasn't eating anything anyway plus it was her own chocolate!

So when I went to visit my gran I took her in some chocolate (only £1). She at first didn't recognise me but she soon realised. I gave her the bar of chocolate and she was very grateful and said some very kind words, so kind in fact that I left the ward crying. I hope and pray that that lovely woman gets better soon.

Anyway, in debt free wannabee news, I've matched up my YNAB with my bank. I'm out by like £7.42 which I assume will be smaller things I've paid cash for and not recorded.

Got an email to say my balance transfer was successful, so I'll only have 1 card to pay now!!

Have a good day. Till next time.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Good morning,

Became a bit of a spendy weekend after a trip into Edinburgh to look at a new car for the GF.

Lunch £13
    Car parking £2
    Car parking fine £30 (don't get me started)
    Dinner £16

Sunday was £20 as a gift to a friend for his birthday. I hired a buggy for our golfing day which we invited me to in order to use a voucher he had.

I'll make up for the expensive weekend by having a cheap week. 5 NSD's targeted, one spend day during the week and another for Saturday when I go to get my haircut.

Really enjoying using YNAB now. I've more money in my account at this point in my month that normal and I've accounted for the things I'd not normally think of in May such as Christmas, car repairs, the wedding next year, clothes etc.

Happy camper.
  • SpekySquarehead
    I've been busy lately with.....well life. You know it has that way of just running away from you?

I've been trying to rack up as many NSD's as possible but it's proving difficult, only small spends here and there but spending nonetheless.

In good news though, I just got my £150 switching incentive from First Direct, so that'll pay for my parking fine and present for my friend this weekend and the rest toward savings.

A flying visit for now, I thought I'd share that little nugget of good news.
  • zenshi
    zenshi Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    So my step-brothers wedding is now becoming ‘real’. We’re looking at flights, hotels and ultimately costs. Looks like the trip will cost £2,000 not including spending money, so for now the overpayment towards my debt is put on hold and I’ll just continue to meet my minimum payments. In the meantime, I’ll put a chunk of money into a savings account for this trip.

Keep you posted 

I'm having a big birthday this year and my sister has one also. She has planned a holiday for us somewhere very exotic which is a once in a lifetime opportunity. She is paying accommodation, kids are paying my flight :T but I need spends. I am in way much more debt than you but we all need a treat. Anyway, I digress.....what I've done is decided on a target and that has given me a goal to clear out my stuff and flog it. It's much more motivating than paying boring old debts which by the way are still being paid but after several years of 'my belt can't be tighter' I need it

Could you do something similar?
    LBM.....sometime in 2013 £27,056. 10 creditors
    June 20.....£7,587.....3 creditors left 72% paid

£26,200 on interest only part of mortgage (July 16)...will chip away £17,103
    £49,200 repayment mortgage ( July 16) £37,764
  • SpekySquarehead
    zenshi wrote: »
    I'm having a big birthday this year and my sister has one also. She has planned a holiday for us somewhere very exotic which is a once in a lifetime opportunity. She is paying accommodation, kids are paying my flight :T but I need spends. I am in way much more debt than you but we all need a treat. Anyway, I digress.....what I've done is decided on a target and that has given me a goal to clear out my stuff and flog it. It's much more motivating than paying boring old debts which by the way are still being paid but after several years of 'my belt can't be tighter' I need it

Could you do something similar?

Thank you for taking the time to read and post, it’s appreciated.

Let me start by wishing you and your sister a wonderful birthday and I hope the holiday is one to remember.

I’ll be honest, getting rid of the junk in my house has been on my to-do list for a while, I can just never get round to doing it. I think I’ll try and make a start on Sunday. Another thing on my to do list is to get a hold of the Kon Marie book and try and live a more minimalist life which’ll hopefully allow me to get rid of more stuff that I don’t really need.

All the best with cutting your debt and saving for your holiday.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback