Help to Buy ISA in parallel with paying off CC?

Looking for some advice on the best course of action in the coming months, due to wanting to clear my credit cards, as well as saving a deposit for my first house purchase.

Current Credit Card Balance:
  1. Credit Card 1: £2800 (27.9% APR)
  2. Credit Card 2: £1700 (26.5% APR)
  3. Credit Card 3: £3400 (22.19% APR)

Available money to pay off or save in the following months:
  • April: £3200
  • May: £2000
  • ...and then £2000 per month going forwards

Question is:
1) Should I pay £2000 on my credit cards and put £1200 on a Help to Buy ISA this month (April)? And then continue paying off £1800, whilst saving £200 per month after that?

2) Or should I pay off the credit cards immediately and only save afterwards?

My concern is the 3 months the account needs to be open for, before any bonus can happen, and the limit of £200 per month after the first month. Also, the 25% bonus from the ISA will essentially balance out any interest I've paid in the coming months on my credit card - not quite sure that's the correct way of thinking about it, however!

My aim is to be able to buy a house by the end of this year, so making this happen literally means surviving on bread for a bit!

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    JLammy wrote: »

Current Credit Card Balance:
    1. Credit Card 1: £2800 (27.9% APR)
    2. Credit Card 2: £1700 (26.5% APR)
    3. Credit Card 3: £3400 (22.19% APR)

Available money to pay off or save in the following months:
    • April: £3200
    • May: £2000
    • ...and then £2000 per month going forwards
    So approx £8k of credit card debt; and by roughly halfway through July you will have cleared the debt if you devote all the 'available money' towards that goal and not the ISA (not counting the interest on the debts between now and then - but that's not going to be in the thousands and as you're clearing £2k a month, the exact amount of interest payable missed off a simplified timeline estimate won't push the end date out by as much as a month).
    Question is:
    1) Should I pay £2000 on my credit cards and put £1200 on a Help to Buy ISA this month (April)? And then continue paying off £1800, whilst saving £200 per month after that?
    My concern is the 3 months the account needs to be open for, before any bonus can happen, and the limit of £200 per month after the first month
    As you mention, you only need to have had the Help to Buy ISA product for 3 months to be able to use bonus monies. So given you are not going to be in a position to use it by July (because your property deposit will be zero by that point, having only just cleared your debts by throwing your cash at them) you don't *need* to get it open as soon as April. Remember, you will get that same 25% bonus on the initial £1200 deposit whether you make that initial £1200 deposit in April and complete in December, or make the £1200 deposit in September and complete in December, or anywhere in between.

So the bonus on the initial £1200 deposit doesn't really come into the analysis. Instead the advantage of doing the £1200 deposit as early as possible - and starting to earn a nominal amount of interest on it, instead of clearing the debts which are costing you circa 2% a month (a 'waste' of £24 pm interest cost) - is just the fact that once you've done it, you can start building up your monthly £200s in the product.

Those £200s will each get a one-time £50 bonus which you wouldn't otherwise get if you hadn't started the ISA early enough to catch that particular month. You can see that catching each of those months with a £200 deposit - instead of paying off debt at 2% a month (a £4 interest cost for every month you have the £200 in the ISA and not paid off the credit card), is worth a one-off £50.

So, starting early doesn't produce more bonus on the initial £1200 but for each month earlier that you start the ISA (e.g. April instead of July) you can get an extra £200 into the ISA and earn your £50 on that. To bother starting early, the total of those extra bonuses (e.g. 3 months early is 3x £50) have to be worth the extra interest you've cost yourself by paying the initial deposit early and those extra £200s for the period over which your debt is still outstanding.

The extra interest you cost yourself on the initial £1200 may be around £24pm (from above), for 3 months is £72; and the extra interest cost from paying those monthly £200s instead of the debts is something like £4pm for 3 months on the first one, but for the second and third ones the £4pm doesn't need to get multiplied by the full three months because by the time you're paying them you don't have as long as three months before the debt clears anyway through your ongoing £2kpm.

From this it seems relatively clear that if your monthly amounts of money available are realistic, the amount of interest you cost yourself by not paying down the debt as fast as possible (by diverting money to the ISA instead) is not going to be hundreds, while the ability to create another two or three months' worth of £200 deposits, (getting £100-150 extra bonus for two or three extra months deposits) should cover it, maybe with some 'profit'.

. Also, the 25% bonus from the ISA will essentially balance out any interest I've paid in the coming months on my credit card - not quite sure that's the correct way of thinking about it, however!
    Obviously it's better to get free money than not get free money, unless the efforts to get the free money are more costly or risky than the free money deserves.

It would be the wrong way to think about it if your calculations included the £300 bonus on the first £1200 deposited, because you're planning on getting that £300 whether you first deposit in April or instead in July, August, September. But the £50 bonuses on any monthly £200 deposits that you couldn't have otherwise made if you had started later, is genuine incremental extra free cash, and seems to cover the extra interest it's costing you by diverting some of the available money from not clearing the card debt earlier.
    My aim is to be able to buy a house by the end of this year, so making this happen literally means surviving on bread for a bit!
    It seems ambitious because if your debts only get cleared by July/August and you're only putting away £2k/m thereafter; and one of those £2ks is going to get used on solicitors and surveys and moving costs; and presumably you need some kind of emergency fund for the risk of things going wrong with the house or you losing your job etc (which I'm assuming you don't already have?) - then that doesn't leave a particularly big deposit, so only gets you the worst interest rates because of the high loan-to-value of the property you buy.

One observation is that although the debts are very expensive, if you are putting a little into the ISA in parallel with clearing the credit cards then when something goes wrong with your planning and you lose your job or whatever then at least in an emergency you can live on some of the money you had previously put into the ISA. Not ideal of course, but there are usually some living expenses that can't go on a credit card (like rent, petty cash items etc) so if you were literally putting every penny towards clearing the debt, that credit card 'space' created by paying them down couldn't necessarily get you through a period of unexpected hardship.
  • JLammy
    JLammy Posts: 29 Forumite
    Thank you for the very detailed response, it's very much appreciated!

So I do think the figures I've given above are realistic, as it still gives me a few hundred a month for living expenses, which are quite minimal at the moment - travel is expensed by the company and as I've moved back in with my parents recently, it means minimal food costs. Undoubtedly, it's not easy, but I need to straighten up my finances ASAP.

So it does look like I should open up a Help to Buy ISA ASAP - so I will do that right now!

Thank you once again! :beer:
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Make sure you fund the £1200 within the month hat the account is opened, many people have opened and forgotten to fund and when they go to, they are told its £200 max.

Depending on provider you may need to do £1000 and £200 as £1200 is rejected sayings its over the limit, but you can pay in £1000 in the first month on top of the £200 monthly limit.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,993 Forumite
    Westie983 wrote: »
    Make sure you fund the £1200 within the month hat the account is opened, many people have opened and forgotten to fund and when they go to, they are told its £200 max.
    The one-off £1K initial amount needs to be paid in the first month any payments are made, rather than in the same month as opening, as per clause 6.1(A) of the scheme rules (with my bolding):
    A Help to Buy: ISA Holder shall be entitled to pay in aggregate up to the Maximum First Month Amount into their Help to Buy: ISA in the first month in which they pay any amounts into their Help to Buy: ISA.
    but obviously individual providers can layer on additional constraints in their product Ts & Cs, so Halifax (to pick a random example ;)) says it must be within 21 days of opening (but could presumably be in a different month).
  • JLammy
    JLammy Posts: 29 Forumite
    I think my biggest issue is that the Help to Buy ISA puts a cap of £250k (£450k in London). I am wanting to buy just outside of London, so borderline Kent area, and many properties which are available with the Help To Buy Equity Loan is well over the £250k mark!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,993 Forumite
    JLammy wrote: »
    I think my biggest issue is that the Help to Buy ISA puts a cap of £250k (£450k in London). I am wanting to buy just outside of London, so borderline Kent area, and many properties which are available with the Help To Buy Equity Loan is well over the £250k mark!
    You might wish to consider a Lifetime ISA as an alternative to HTB ISA, in that its property value cap of £450K applies nationwide rather than just in London. However, you have to wait until a full year after opening it before using it for a property purchase though, so if you really believe that buying this year is viable then a LISA won't work for you, although if you're effectively only starting to think about saving for a deposit then if you're targeting properties over £250K then it'll take you a while to reach a realistic percentage of that....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure