IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

g24??????

I've received a ticket from g24 when my disability badge fell, do I pay it or not, I have sensory disabilities so do need stress from these people but also do not want to hand over £50 hard earned money either, what to do?

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 1 May 2012 at 11:47PM
    G24 are on lots of threads here - hopefully it's clear from the other threads, have a read around the forum. See my signature for how to get back to the forum index as it's only ever one click away from any thread you are reading.

IGNORE THEM and the letters that follow. This is a SCAM. A fake PCN.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    SukiBhadal wrote: »
    I've received a ticket from g24 when my disability badge fell, do I pay it or not, I have sensory disabilities so do need stress from these people but also do not want to hand over £50 hard earned money either, what to do?

Are you sure it fell? Private parking company employees have been seen rocking cars to try and make parking tickets and disabled badges slide off the dashboard.

Firstly, the legal stuff.

Any warning signs are usually so badly positioned and worded, that they won’t have created a fair and legally binding deemed contract between the car park owner and the driver in the first place. (
    The Unfair Contract Terms Act 1997.)

Even if there is a contract, all the car park owner can claim from the driver in damages for any breach of contract is what they’ve lost as a result. If this is a free car park or they paid, this is £0.00. By asking you for more, which is unreasonable, it’s become an unfair contract penalty, which is legally unenforceable. (
    Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co. Ltd. vs. New Garage & Motor Co. Ltd., House of Lords, 1914.)

Only councils, the police and Transport for London can impose legally enforceable fines or penalties. Private companies can't.

Despite all of this, private parking companies consider that their signs create a fair and legally binding deemed contract between the car park owner and the driver, that their demands are their losses and not fines or penalties, that these are reasonable, and that they’re legally enforceable.

What do you do?

Don’t appeal. They always reject them. What’s in it for them to let anyone off?

What’s in it for them is information. With windscreen tickets, you’ll tell them your name and address, and maybe who was driving at the time. I you don’t, they have to buy the registered keeper details from the DVLA for £2.50.

If you’ve received a letter in the post, they’ve done this already. However, they still need to know the identity of the driver of the vehicle involved at the time, because that’s who the alleged contract was with. If they don’t know who the driver was, they have to make do with chasing the registered keeper. They sometimes say that they have the right to ask for this information. This doesn’t mean that you have to tell them.

However, even if you’ve appealed and confirmed who the driver was, it doesn’t make their actions any less unlawful. It just means that instead of unlawfully harassing the wrong person, they can now unlawfully harass the right person.

What will happen now?

You are going to receive a series of letters from the PPC, then a debt collector and then a solicitor. The debt collector and solicitor are usually also the PPC, but using different headed paper. These will threaten you with all sorts of financial and legal unpleasantness, to try and intimidate you into paying. But, they can't actually do anything, for the same reason that a blackmailer couldn't sue their victim if they didn’t pay.

What should you do?

Ignore their empty threats. Eventually, they will run out of things to intimidate you with, and stop throwing good money after bad.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • give_them_FA
    give_them_FA Posts: 2,998 Forumite
    Do not give them so much as a bent foreign coin. Whether you displayed your badge or not is totally immaterial in a private car park. They know- or ought to know- this, but they are not honest people, so they are hoping you do not know the law and get taken in by their completely unenforceable fake ticket.

Just ignore them, like any nuisance, they will get fed up with getting no reaction from the person they are trying to bully and they WILL go away.

You have my word on that, as someone who has seen off over 80 fake tickets from this and other companies.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

G24 are well known cowboys - If you check the forum sticky, you will see their entire fake letter chain, so you can be prepared for what comes next. Just Ignore them at every sage. :)

Also, go and read the handbook that comes with your Blue Badge again, or the copy on the issuing authority website - You will see it made quite clear in two places that the Blue Badge scheme does not apply in ptivate car parks, so for this reason alone, there is no chance of that ticket having any validity. In fact, you now probably have grounds for a complaint/action against the car park owner under the Equality Act! :)
  • treeboa
    treeboa Posts: 84 Forumite
    funny enough theres a carpark at the back of the bus station in peterlee has these cowboys, the sign you have to actually stoop down to read it, magic if you use sticks to walk
  • SodG24
    SodG24 Posts: 1,123 Forumite

Note my username ! I've ignored two fake tickets from them.

Just for fun I reported them to HMRC for not charging VAT and to Nominet for not sticking the the contract they had signed. They are a bunch of lying chancers who have never had the guts to take me to task despite even having access to my mobile number. The reason ? Because they're cowards and know they could NEVER win.

As other have said ignore them. If you're worried PM me and you can give my name address as the driver - I relish another round of letters from them :rotfl:
    All aboard the Gus Bus !
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    SodG24 wrote: »
    I relish another round of letters from them :rotfl:

I think you may be OFF their mailing list! :D
  • SodG24
    SodG24 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    esmerobbo wrote: »
    I think you may be OFF their mailing list! :D

That's a pity. I don't get a lot of post and their letters always made me feel warm and fluffy inside. I feel very lonely now I don't hear from them. :cool:
    All aboard the Gus Bus !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport