Buying approved used online & auto vs manual #2

Hi,

Many thanks to everyone that responded to my first post - I had a follow up question when buying approved used....

Does one still need to get an independent assessment of the car (ie. RAC or AA) condition prior to purchase or is buying "approved used" already taking that into account?

Thanks

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ProStuart wrote: »
    Hi,

Many thanks to everyone that responded to my first post - I had a follow up question when buying approved used....

Does one still need to get an independent assessment of the car (ie. RAC or AA) condition prior to purchase or is buying "approved used" already taking that into account?

Thanks

Approved by whom?
    Don't get thinking the dealership is desperate to sell YOU the car.
    You be as vigilante as if you were buying private.
  • Oh OK - naivety at play here where I've never purchased an "approved used" - I thought that meant certain baseline checks would have been mandatory but by the sounds of it, "approved used" means nothing?
  • HHarry
    HHarry Posts: 883 Forumite
    ProStuart wrote: »
    Oh OK - naivety at play here where I've never purchased an "approved used" - I thought that meant certain baseline checks would have been mandatory but by the sounds of it, "approved used" means nothing?

Not nothing, but don’t expect miracles.

Jaguar have a 160 point check, but I’ve read about a number of owners who’ve got their cars home only to find something that hadn’t been done - barely legal tyres being one example.

That said if you found something obviously faulty shortly after purchase, and it should have been picked up on their Approved Used checks, you’ve got a chance of getting it fixed - although I’m not sure its worth more than your statutory rights.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    Approved = it drove through the auction ring without breaking down or needing a push?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure