Labours pension threat - daily express

Options

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    That was a thinktank. The point of thinktanks is to float ludicrous proposals to make the Government's / Opposition's proposals seem more sensible.

Life expetancy rates in the UK as a whole have stalled. Makes the issue less pressing. The post war baby boom generation will pass.
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mick70 wrote: »

So, what relevance does the "title" in the URL have to do with the content of the article?

Don't think the State Pension is mentioned once in the article.

Lazy reporting, clickbait stuff that is lowering the quality of debate and adding nothing insightful, constructive or reasoned.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 November 2019 at 1:31PM
    Options
    AlanP wrote: »
    So, what relevance does the "title" in the URL have to do with the content of the article?

Don't think the State Pension is mentioned once in the article.

Lazy reporting, clickbait stuff that is lowering the quality of debate and adding nothing insightful, constructive or reasoned.

People don’t click based on a webpage address. Address can be fgrthrthr55445 for all one cares. Google lists websites based on key words, which have nothing to do with the address.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    nigelbb wrote: »
    The Daily Express has always hated the Labour Party

False. The Daily Express supported Blair’s Labour for the first 7 years - as well as other Labour leaders and governments.

Nothing that was done by a different set of people several generations ago has any relevance whatsoever
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,886 Forumite
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Also public pension schemes. Share ownership is widespread. The devil is in the detail. Often overlooked in the haste to make big policy announcements in a hurry. Which can see said policies unravel very quickly.

Pinning down exactly what the water sector is worth is difficult, partly because 12 of the 15 English water groups aren’t listed on the stock market. However, Labour has previously suggested the whole sector could be taken into national ownership for just £14.5bn. That figure was based on the industry’s cumulative book value, which is the difference between assets and liabilities. It’s also well below £44bn, the value of the sector’s equity according to a recent study by the Social Market Foundation.

https://www.hl.co.uk/news/articles/nationalisation-a-look-at-the-impact-on-water-utilities?fbclid=IwAR0P29nOclfQ9yPU1adahmjq6kwDO-y_F5oc3Zz76f8TTY1OD4NPWAyVmf4
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Does anyone know what percentage UK pensions hold of the FTSE All Share?
  • ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    edited 18 November 2019 at 2:32PM
    Options
    And then there is the plan to confiscate 10% of everything, leading to capital flight, capital controls and all that comes with it.

I take it you mean the plan to create employee ownership funds in large companies? Shares will be acquired at 1% per year until the fund reaches 10% and there's no reason to think those shares won't be aquired from willing sellers at market value.

It's not a policy I agree with particularly but describing it in the way you have is billy basic scare mongering at best, and could also be described as outright lying. If you want to convince people not to vote for Jeremy you'll have to be a bit more honest.

----

As for the article in the OP, the lack of understanding about how pensions work is palpable throughout. It's clearly written by somebody tasked with putting a negative spin on something they know absolutely nothing about. The daily express is probably the worst source of news in the country. It is written by idiots, for idiots. Nobody should be considering taking any action regarding their pension based on something they've read in the express.
  • MaxiRobriguez
    Options
    ruperts wrote: »
    The daily express is probably the worst source of news in the country. It is written by idiots, for idiots. Nobody should be considering taking any action regarding their pension based on something they've read in the express.

Are you meaning to say that all of my savings I invested in WPCT last week because the Express said it was guanrateed to bounce upwards was wrong?
  • bostonerimus
    Options
    Mick70 wrote: »
    Sorry was in a rush at time but thought the article may be of interest to some posters . My opinion is that Corbyn would Damage private pension funds , I also think he would stop the tax free lump sums and reduce the LTA threshold , my opinion only

Thanks for that.

I don't really see why the UK has the tax free lump sum. It is a great benefit for people with a large pension pot, but why should they get so much tax relief on income that should really be taxed. But I'm with you on the LTA threshold. If people want to save then let them, but it should all have to be taxed at some point either at drawdown or when passed on to the next generation.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • bostonerimus
    Options
    People get worried by the policies of political parties, but you'll have to live with whatever landscape emerges. Maybe people should worry more about things they have a bit more control over and that's fees, how much they spend, their saving rate, simple portfolio construction, and how they manage their portfolio. They have a far more to do with financial freedom than anything government does. Financial freedom only really occurs when you stop worrying about money and that's in your control.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure