Wifi/Ethernet Camera with motion detection that ...

Hi guys can anyone recommend a camera with motion detection that can be used without (or with) an external cloud storage option that I can monitor and record using a PC Linux/Windows/Pi . I don't really need an "app" since I have a home VPN which I can access if needed when out and about.

Also is there a Doorbell that can also do the same
Many thanks for any suggestions DCM:beer:
🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI

Comments

• arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    A few things: you can't never have a fully wireless camera because you need power. Yes, there are battery powered cameras bla bla bla, but you can't rely on a battery, and those cameras are not meant to be on all the time. "I'm going to check what happened last night in the garden....oops, battery ran out, forgot to replace...".

Also, if you want high quality video (4k and so on), cable is far more stable than Wireless (provided that your location has a good coverage in the first place).
    In regards to recording/monitoring/motion detection: if you are planning on using a computer, why don't let the computer (=the monitoring software) handle the motion detection and recording times? I have Blue Iris (but there are a few other freeware programs too), I set all the options in Blue Iris and let it manage the cameras. App comes with it (although you need to buy it separately) but you can always use the browser to open the webpage and check the cameras from there (including past footage).
  • arciere wrote: »
    A few things: you can't never have a fully wireless camera because you need power. Yes, there are battery powered cameras bla bla bla, but you can't rely on a battery, and those cameras are not meant to be on all the time. "I'm going to check what happened last night in the garden....oops, battery ran out, forgot to replace...".

Also, if you want high quality video (4k and so on), cable is far more stable than Wireless (provided that your location has a good coverage in the first place).
    In regards to recording/monitoring/motion detection: if you are planning on using a computer, why don't let the computer (=the monitoring software) handle the motion detection and recording times? I have Blue Iris (but there are a few other freeware programs too), I set all the options in Blue Iris and let it manage the cameras. App comes with it (although you need to buy it separately) but you can always use the browser to open the webpage and check the cameras from there (including past footage).

I don't want and didn't ask for battery powered(i.e. fully wireless... speed reading again are we arciere?), there will be power for the camera,as for coverage there is very good wifi coverage <20 feet/6 metres 2.4/5 Ghz asus router.As for 4K hmmm on a 1920x1080 screen or even on a middle budget smart phone (G7) , I am not recording/viewing pron just basic security, but thanks for the time.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    ... and record using a PC Linux/Windows/Pi .
    debitcardmayhem, you come across as a bit of a fiddler, so ever thought about putting a camera on a Pi?

On youtube there are are some awesome projects for Pi and cameras including joining of multiple cameras to form one video (compositing - if I remember rightly?), and another where AI determines if the movement is a bike, bus, car or human in real time. More often than not there is a link to the code too
  • arciere
    Forumite
    I don't want and didn't ask for battery powered(i.e. fully wireless... speed reading again are we arciere?), there will be power for the camera,as for coverage there is very good wifi coverage <20 feet/6 metres 2.4/5 Ghz asus router.As for 4K hmmm on a 1920x1080 screen or even on a middle budget smart phone (G7) , I am not recording/viewing pron just basic security, but thanks for the time.
    I read it correctly, I was making the point that it's not worth considering WiFi if you still need to run a cable. If you run a cable, go Ethernet, no advantages in WiFi.
    As for the 4K...hmmm....let me know next time you try to zoom in on a HD video.
    The device you'll be using to watch your cameras has got nothing to do with the resolution of the camera.
  • +1 for the highest practical resolution. There are several conflicting requirements for cameras... you typically want a fairly wide angle of view and to position the camera high enough that it’s out of reach of someone standing on the ground (although where you can reach with a cobweb brush). That results in only obtaining a low quality image of a visitor unless you have at least a 4M pixel camera.

Cameras with infrared motion sensors mostly avoid the annoyance of false triggering on large rain drops, trees/shrubs moving in the wind, etc. However the range of triggering is less than those that trigger on movement within the image.

Commercial installations often include additional “white” lighting to give useful colour images at night. Home installations typically don’t. Using just the ir LED illumination from the camera only lights to around 10m, the cameras switch out the daylight ir filter and drop the “shutter speed” to a very slow value. Still images of cars, brickwork, etc. look impressive, but a moving object, such as a potential burglar will be a blur.

Sorry to put so many issues on the table, but it’s easy to install a system and be dissatisfied with the result, especially night time image quality.

I have a Swann 4M pixel Ethernet cabled system. The recorder has a noisy fan (not an issue where it’s located) and it suffers from poor nighttime image quality on anything moving.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Here's a cheap and cheerful option (Amazon deal today - Sunday.)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07147C7SW/
    Although it won't record to PC (I think - may be able to use with a 3rd party recorder?) it has an inbuilt sd card facility (sd card not included). (I appreciate that the major issue with this is if the camera gets nicked.

Lots of Amazon reviews and installation tips.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • chiny
    chiny Posts: 193
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My IPcam number 7 (yes, I have a problem) is standalone, no connecting cables. It is a cheapie direct import from China, with a large solar cell on top. It has been working flawlessly for many months, possibly a year, I can’t recall. I’m looking at it now, from 1000 miles away :) Just tinkering with this one.

Mostly I run motionEyeOS on Raspberry Pi boxes, very effective and reliable. On one R Pi, I have a USB AI stick plugged in, for people detection, nearly flawless, which detects people about 10 metres away approaching my front door, notifying my mobile, better than a door bell. High geek factor for sure, definitely money saving if my time is free. motionEyeOS is recommended for those with some tech empathy.
  • arciere
    Forumite
    The camera doesn't need to be able to record to a PC. As long as it's an IP camera, it will have its ONVIF or rtsp data streams that you can capture and analyse (including live motion detection) with any monitoring software (Blu Iris, Genius Vision, hundreds more...)
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 17 November 2019 at 10:34PM
    chiny, thank you for your input. That is something I would like to do, if I had the time. Spent hour on youtube videos on these.

I'd like to marry the Pi to two cameras that use the imx226 to get a full, clear colour picture, but they are still a bit pricey and are 12mp and can run at a higher frame rate, so lots of data... but for when I retire in a few years I may have the time :)

imx226 probably has one of the best low light abilities of any camera, but the Huawei P30 Pro mobile with its RYYB and I wonder if that will influence every camera?
  • mluton
    mluton Posts: 796
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I used wired and wireless cameras with https://www.contaware.com/contacam.html and its free, well donation-ware.

Its very good, access is via https or as you have a VPN.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure