Monzo refusing to help with chargeback

Comments

• Santanduh wrote: »
    With this and the watchdog report I've stopped using Monzo. I can't believe they act like this.

What did the Watchdog report say?
  • Paid with debit card. I've spoke to at least a dozen staff. I don't think it's individual staff, it's the whole of monzo are appalling. I know I'm entitled to my money back and getting help from my bank. Going to contact mastercard too

Watchdog said monzo are freezing Bank accounts and not giving people money back and telling them to go to food banks and charities to feed their family. Unbelievable.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Santanduh wrote: »
    Going to contact mastercard too

Watchdog said monzo are freezing Bank accounts and not giving people money back and telling them to go to food banks and charities to feed their family. Unbelievable.

Maastercard will simply tell you to contact your card provider. They can do nothing to assist with a chargeback.

There was a long thread about Watchdog.
    Just remember that staff saying about food banks etc were only trying to advise customers where to go for help while their accounts were frozen.
    That is at least showing empathy with the customer situation. Rather than simply saying "Sorry can't do anything"
    Life in the slow lane
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 November 2019 at 7:56PM
    That report was about Monzo's amateurish and incompetent attempts to detect money laundering, nothing to do with chargebacks. Your experience is just indicative of the lack of banking experience of Monzo's staff.
  • Ask them one more time to raise a chargeback or go to the FOS.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Paid with debit card. I've spoke to at least a dozen staff. I don't think it's individual staff, it's the whole of monzo are appalling. I know I'm entitled to my money back and getting help from my bank. Going to contact mastercard too

Would love to read the response from Mastercard.
  • Which? has a handy guide on chargeback including template letters.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-do-i-use-chargeback
  • Thanks the green hornet :)

Born again empathy would be resolving the issues rather than than sending people begging. The people just want their own money. They'd no need for charity if it wasn't for Monzos actions.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks the green hornet :)

Born again empathy would be resolving the issues rather than than sending people begging. The people just want their own money. They'd no need for charity if it wasn't for Monzos actions.

If you want to continue making it hard for yourself then go ahead, but you were already advised to make a complaint. All this nonsense about food banks isn't helping you.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Paid with debit card. I've spoke to at least a dozen staff. I don't think it's individual staff, it's the whole of monzo are appalling. I know I'm entitled to my money back and getting help from my bank. Going to contact mastercard too

Then, and I think you've done this, you need to make an official complaint and failing that working go to the ombudsman.
    And obviously after than, move your account elsewhere
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport