Wear your flight socks!

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    It's not just flights, it's any form of travel, friend's wife had DVT from a 6 hour car journey.

AIUI main thing is to keep legs moving and do calf exercises - which is possible even in economy - even if you wear flight socks, see the NHS website https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/prevent-dvt-when-you-travel/
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Each to his own. I don't wear flight socks personally but I always book an aisle seat and move around a bit on flights partly from boredom and partly to keep active.

My DH does have circulatory issues so he does all of the above and wears flight socks. But he wears flight socks for everyday use as the GP recommended they'll help circulation.

Some might think it's belt and braces but it's also personal choice.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Interesting discussion, thank you OP.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ballard wrote: »
    I'm prepared to be corrected but isn't the cause of DVT restricted leg movement? If so there's surely no need to try to combat this in business class. As it happens I'm flying business class the other direction (Bogota) later this month but have no intention of getting any flight socks.

Agree with this. Particularly as most flights to HK are night flights. So in business class you will be in something resembling a flat bed and have plenty of room to move your feet.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    badger09 wrote: »
    We fly long haul 2 or 3 times a year & I've never thought about wearing flight compression socks.

Going to HK week after next, Business class (our main post retirement, spend the kids inheritance, luxury:D) so I hope to sleep for a good few hours. Still makes sense to get some.

Anyone have any recommendations where to buy/what brand?

Thanks

OT.

Enjoy the flight, we are going the week after next too!
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I thought that flight socks had become generally discouraged over the years as they lull people in the false sense of security and mean they are less likely to do what they should be doing on a long haul flight, which is getting up and moving on a regular basis.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    cubegame wrote: »
    I thought that flight socks had become generally discouraged over the years as they lull people in the false sense of security and mean they are less likely to do what they should be doing on a long haul flight, which is getting up and moving on a regular basis.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/prevent-dvt-when-you-travel/
    Flight socks and compression stockings

Wearing compression stockings or flight socks during journeys of 3 hours or more can help prevent DVT if you're at an increased risk.
    The stockings or socks are usually knee length; compression stockings can also be thigh high.
    They work by putting gentle pressure on your leg and ankle to help blood flow.
    Compression stockings and flight socks come in different sizes with different levels of compression. Class 1 stockings have the lowest compression (with a pressure of 14-17 mmHg at the ankle) and are generally sufficient to prevent DVT.
    It's important that compression stockings are worn correctly. Ill-fitting stockings could further increase the risk of DVT.
    You can buy compression stockings and flight socks from pharmacies, airports and many high-street shops and pharmacies. They can also be prescribed by a GP.
    Get advice on size and proper fitting from a pharmacist or another health professional.
    Personally, I find that my ankles don't swell when I wear flight socks on long haul journeys.
    If I don't, they do.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Pollycat wrote: »
    https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/prevent-dvt-when-you-travel/

Personally, I find that my ankles don't swell when I wear flight socks on long haul journeys.
    If I don't, they do.

Ditto - despite always sitting in an aisle seat, doing leg/ankle exercises while seated, getting up and walking around regularly and drinking plenty of water
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • leylandsunaddict
    leylandsunaddict Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 November 2019 at 11:22AM
    Before wearing compression socks you need to speak to your GP surgery. Not everyone needs them or is suitable to wear them. If you do then you need to be measured for the correct size and compression. Badly fitting ones can actually lead to a DVT.

My OH had to wear them for a while after having a PE, but after a period of time he was told he know longer needed them. They are no substitute for in seat exercises and walking around, stretching etc. DVTs are caused through immobility eg sitting too long. This causes problems for blood to circulate. Long car journeys can do the same. Very tall people and very short people are at greater risk of DVTs.
  • pompeii
    pompeii Posts: 257 Forumite
    Ditto - despite always sitting in an aisle seat, doing leg/ankle exercises while seated, getting up and walking around regularly and drinking plenty of water

Also agree with this reply, I wear either the Boots flesh coloured flight socks which are like ordinary pop socks 2 pairs in a pack or the black compression socks 1 pair per pack even on short haul my ankles and feet swell slightly so worth waring them.

Not sure I would bother my doctor unless I had other medical concerns, If your bothered you could ask the pharmacist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure