Damaged Stroller Turkish Airlines

Hi there,
Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but figured its to do with airlines compensation :(
On the way back to the UK our stroller got damaged (some bits torn and some parts have been scratched really bad). I have contacted Turkish Airlines 7 days after the flight but they have denied the claim saying that the issue was raised too late. The way they understand the 7 days timeframe is different because they count the day of arrival as being the first day. I, on the other hand, count the first day as being the day after the arrival. For instance, I have arrived on a Monday, so that means I have until the next Monday to raise the claim.
I have hit this wall in communication with them regarding the 7 days which is not explained on their site either :

Damaged baggage/missing possessions
If you notice the damage to your baggage at the airport, you just need to contact the Lost Property Office. Your journey details will be recorded and a “Damaged baggage and/or missing possessions report” will be issued.

If you notice damage to your baggage or possessions missing after you have left the airport, you can notify us by visiting the baggage irregularity report and follow-up page within 7 days and making a lost baggage or missing possessions notification.

Any advice regarding how I can make them investigate my claim?
Any legal explanation of those 7 days?
True, I have left it till the last moment, I give you that, but the stroller was only 2 weeks old and feel I need to try harder.

Thanks!

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,571 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Makes perfect sense to me for day 1 to be the day you land. Don't think you've got any chance in extending it to 8 days. If the damage was so bad, how come you didn't notice it at the airport and report it right away when you collected your luggage.
    Not always that easy with a little one around, but waiting a week(+ a day) is pushing it a bit.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Stroller? Do you mean a pushchair?
  • @victor2 I still don't think that is correct. For instance when you say: see you in 2 days that is not tomorrow, that is the day after. Applying the same logic, 7 days means you start counting from the day after today if that makes sense?
    Indeed, I failed to see the damage because the stroller can be folded so neatly that it covered the signs of damage :(

@Nick_C, that is right, stroller as in pushchair/buggy

So is there no other international body that could look into this, you think?
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I doubt the UN would be interested, but you can always try your luck.
  • ttoli
    ttoli Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Arkadia , because you didn't notify the handling agent when you collected the stroller , they will argue that you have no proof that damage was caused during the flight.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,539 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Does your travel insurance have any timelines on notification? It may not be worth claiming depending on your excess and repair costs
    If you wanted to avoid scratches you would be best having a buggy bag for travel
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Arkadia wrote: »
    @victor2 I still don't think that is correct. For instance when you say: see you in 2 days that is not tomorrow, that is the day after. Applying the same logic, 7 days means you start counting from the day after today if that makes sense?
    Indeed, I failed to see the damage because the stroller can be folded so neatly that it covered the signs of damage :(

@Nick_C, that is right, stroller as in pushchair/buggy

So is there no other international body that could look into this, you think?

...but conversely, "It has been like that since day 1" means since the instant someone began.

If someone starts a project plan or timeline, it does not begin with day 0.

This does mean it is open to interpretation, however as you posted their terms also say to report the damage "within 7 days" so if you were being technical legal about it you could say that only 6 days or less were "within" 7 days.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,359 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    I think the 7 days starts from the monday, so you were a day too late
  • With all due respect, why ask the question if you’re just going to disagree with people who answer?
    You asked, you have your answer - this is a forum for opinions, not people telling you what you want to hear.

Unfortunately I agree with the others - you’re out of time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure