Morrisons pork shoulder price?

Misslayed
Misslayed Posts: 14,172 Senior Ambassador
First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
Yesterday I went to Morrisons butchery counter to buy a joint of pork. There were no shoulder joints on display, so I asked the butcher for a big one (feeding hordes). He brought out a whole shoulder, which was ideal. I didn't really notice at the time but when I unwrapped it today I saw it was £2.50/kg, so just over £8 for the whole shoulder. I've searched everywhere I can think of to try and find out if this was a mistake, or just a very good price, I can only find prices for prepackaged meat. Anyone know for sure? I'm normally an Aldi/Lidl customer, but I knew they wouldn't have a big enough joint right now.
I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,204 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Maybe because you bought it on a Sunday, closing at 1630, and they just wanted to clear it out?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Misslayed
    Farway wrote: »
    Maybe because you bought it on a Sunday, closing at 1630, and they just wanted to clear it out?

I did wonder about that, but it was only 14.30 ish. Top tip for next week if it was!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • It's normally around 1pm they drop the prices.

Several times I've purchased a lump and cut it down to three joints, each making decent meals :D
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Misslayed
    It's normally around 1pm they drop the prices.

Several times I've purchased a lump and cut it down to three joints, each making decent meals :D

Thanks for that, I'm going to need 2 full shoulders for pulled pork at Christmas, I'll make space in the freezer. :D
  • I ended up buying a full sized freezer a few months ago and regularly pick up / freeze the reduced priced meat :D

Today's bargains included rib eye steak, which was delicious!
  • If it was reduced because it was closing time on a Sunday then it would have had a yellow reduced sticker on with the original price still on the original label. It wouldn't have been reduced per kilo on the butcher counter scales.

Also they are unlikely to reduce the joint with a yellow sticker when someone has specifically asked for the joint.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Just to let people know Morrisons have the big joints of pork in for under £10, I've picked one up today, will be slicing it into four smaller joints and freezing them :) one is earmarked for Christmas or New Year.
  • peewhyeff
    peewhyeff Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    In yesterday's newspaper was a Morrisons advert which included British pork shoulder joints @ £2.00 per kg , (was £4.20 /kg). Offer until 5th November.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure