Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Crowd funding in a bid to try and do some good

Im not sure if this is the right place to post but I am aware that this is not everybody thing. If it is not your thing, please can you leave the negativity.

Thanks

You can find this :

justgiving. com /crowdfunding /ournhs

For many years now, we have read the stories of how our NHS is failing and it is apparent it isn!!!8217;t getting any better.

The government appear to be doing not a great deal about it and seem quite content with privatisation amongst other things, other than ploughing much needed funding into making the NHS somewhat stable again.

Recent weeks have had stories in the media of:
Patients dying in beds in the corridors of hospitals,
Operations being cancelled because of bed shortages,
A&E waiting times being too lengthy,
Doctors and nurses being completely stretched and working extra hours to cope with the additional pressures.
Patients being put at risk because of staff shortages

More needs to be done to help our National Health Service, which at the moment, is dying.

I am sure many have used the NHS at some point during their lives, albeit to have an arm put in a cast, have an operation, to have a baby or for them to tend to a sick child.

The NHS is not just about Doctors and Nurses but we have the Midwives, Surgeons, Paediatricians, Health Care Assistants, Paramedics, even down to the people who keep your hospital clean and serve you in the canteen when you need a break. All of these people and more deserve a pat on the back and I think we owe them a great deal of thanks

** This year celebrates Our National Health Service turning 70 years old, let!!!8217;s give it a Birthday to remember**

A recent survey carried out by the media saw that over 60% of us, would be happy to pay £1 a week to help save our NHS, so now I say, let's "lets help give some life back to the NHS" and put this survey to the test.

We donate so much of our money to other deserving charities, perhaps we could use just a fraction of that to support our NHS. If the figures are correct:
Population of England is 53 Million
If only 5% of the population donated £1
That would be a total of £2.65Million

Whilst I will not be able to reach this target I am sure whatever is achieved will go a long way to helping.

Thank you for taking the time to read

Comments

• Whilst I do not disagree with this idea, I do think the nhs execs could do more towards it themselves, instead of allowing companies to charge ridiculous amounts for maintenance, and for various drugs that should cost pennies but cost nearer to £100 a pack because the company have found loopholes in the way they can charge for them.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    This is why I pay taxes. I think as Enterprise stated the NHS/government need to think first about costs etc. Similar to giving extra to the NHS should we then start to give extra to our children's schools (which I am happy to do for non educational things), maintenance of roads etc.

Prescriptions where the item costs less than the prescription shouldn't be given. Prescriptions shouldn't be given unless necessary.

See this link about the price to change a lightbulb (apologies for the paper it is in! Saw it on FB!

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/679388/Carillion-NHS-rip-off-overcharging-replacing-light-bulbs-refilling-soap-dispensers
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I might consider giving the NHS a £1 when it stops charging blue badge holders to park when attending for treatment! The current climate of waste and managerial incompetence means that additional funding will add nothing to the service provided. The NHS is owed millions by people not eligible for NHS treatment (£30m per year), get that sorted and we will once again have the NHS that used to be the envy of the world.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    LadyDee wrote: »
    I might consider giving the NHS a £1 when it stops charging blue badge holders to park when attending for treatment! The current climate of waste and managerial incompetence means that additional funding will add nothing to the service provided. The NHS is owed millions by people not eligible for NHS treatment (£30m per year), get that sorted and we will once again have the NHS that used to be the envy of the world.

Nonsense.

The NHS England budget alone is £125 billion a year. £30m is a drop in the ocean. Your £1 won't make a difference either.

Neither is there a "climate of waste and managerial incompetence". The NHS actually provides good value for money. It just doesn't have enough money to deal with the demands placed upon it.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    antrobus wrote: »
    Nonsense.

The NHS England budget alone is £125 billion a year. £30m is a drop in the ocean. Your £1 won't make a difference either.

Neither is there a "climate of waste and managerial incompetence". The NHS actually provides good value for money. It just doesn't have enough money to deal with the demands placed upon it.

What I posted was my opinion, it's not nonsense - your response was rude.

£30m per year! Might be drop in the ocean but why should people be allowed to come here as health tourists, get excellent care and treatment then toddle off home without paying their bills.

Yes, the NHS does provide very good value for money and I have every reason to be grateful for the treatment I have received, but there is a lot of waste and too many managers. I worked for the NHS for six years so can speak from experience.
  • More than happy to do this. Will the Government will refund me the £1 back from what I'm already paying through National Insurance contributions do you think?
  • How is the money going to to get from you to the NHS, are you going to donate it to your local hospital/NHS trust?

how do we know you're not just going to keep the money for yourself?

- it's a crowdfunder via justgiving so that means the money isn't/won't be going directly to a charity / trust. "The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised."

Also shouldn't this post be over in the charities forum along with members charity fundraisers & sponsorship posts?

Charities "For posts that benefit charities"
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99

(The board guides are def a bit confused right now - there's a post about wanting refunds for unhealthy rats on the Charities board & a crowd funding post in Campaigns corner).
    "And suddenly I find myself listening to a man I've never known before,
    Telling me about the sea..."
  • Also going by Just Giving's rules you need to have permission to fund raise for "the NHS"

"JustGiving Crowdfunding does not accept projects:
    ... if you do not have an organisation!!!8217;s consent or permission that is needed in order to effectively fulfil your project (including any relevant charitable organisation)..."
  • Jenna_Appleseed
    Jenna_Appleseed Posts: 4,801
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 30 June 2018 at 12:51PM
    Your link justgiving.com/crowdfunding/ournhs doesn't even go to a valid crowdfunding campaign.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/our-nhs goes to a page that was started in 2016 but is currently not active & has no donations.

Searching also finds https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/help-our-nhs which doesn't make it clear where/how the money is going to be donated - pos to a local hospitol?
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    jackomdj wrote: »
    This is why I pay taxes. I think as Enterprise stated the NHS/government need to think first about costs etc. Similar to giving extra to the NHS should we then start to give extra to our children's schools (which I am happy to do for non educational things), maintenance of roads etc.

Prescriptions where the item costs less than the prescription shouldn't be given.

See this link about the price to change a lightbulb (apologies for the paper it is in! Saw it on FB!

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/679388/Carillion-NHS-rip-off-overcharging-replacing-light-bulbs-refilling-soap-dispensers

surely that's a good thing to make money? paying more than the drugs cost?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure