The Great 'shrinking food and other items' Hunt

Comments

• Co-op standard packs of bacon used to 8 rashers and seems to have shrunk to 7. Not sure if there is an actual weight difference or not, but the 'average slices' message on the front has definitely changed
  • The Dr. Stuart range of herbal teas used to contain 20 teabags in the packet. Then it became 15...quite a reduction...and still the same price (£1.89). I wrote and received a standard fob-off saying this was a high quality product. Then, to add insult to injury, the price went up to over £2.20 a packet. That's when I stopped buying them!
    :(
  • Haven't bought meat for a few weeks, as I've been working left right and centre and often have meals provided by work as a consequence of what we've been up to. However, finally have a couple of days off! Horray!!

To find ASDA organic beef mince is now 460g for £4.00 whereas it was 500g last time I bought it. :( Hidden inflation sucks and will only get worse I fear.
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009 :j
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • I've bought these for a while to freeze. They used to have 4 packs of 8 slices in a pack (32 slices) but now have 4 packs of 6 slices (24 slices). Shame!
  • All Cadbury Chocolate block have shrunk in size. The smaller sizes have now shrunk from 150g to 120g
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Tesco Finest British Chicken And Stuffing 120g £2.80 (2 for £4) no longer available.

Tesco Finest British Chicken And Stuffing 100g £3.00 (2 for £5)
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • I'd be interested to hear if any experts actually know if this is true. Cause I would imagine the 'typical basket' would include say '500g of cheese' not 'a block of cheese' - in which case it's not hidden inflation.

The technical report for CPI calculations says that:

"Examples of typical item descriptions are given below:
    • large loaf, white, unsliced (800g)
    • home killed beef, braising steak (per kg)
    • butter, home produced (250g)
    • fresh vegetables: onions (per kg)
    • fish & chips, take-away, state size/type
    • Bitter, 4 cans (440-500ml)
    • plumber (daytime hourly rate including call out)
    • single bed (width approx. 3ft/90cm)
    • electric cooker, 4 rings, grill and oven
    • dog kennel fees, boarding, daily charges
    • child minder (hourly rate)
    • men’s suit (ready made)
    • ultra low sulphur petrol
    • swimming pool admission, standard, adult, off peak

So technically they may adjust for pack size decreasing, by weighting the price up in their calculations. But if 750g bread becomes the new normal, and they assume that people now only need a 750g loaf, they would just update the basket and then the inflation would definitely get hidden.
  • Cadbury's Roses are 850g inc wraps..........

BUT if you buy them from the Coop you can get 2 for £9, which helps xx
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Used to buy these from Tesco. The size of these soup cans has reduced really noticeably. They used to be quite large tins and now they're fairly small. Same price. Don't have sizes/weights I'm afraid, but the difference is striking.
  • Morrison's Meaty Strips for dogs. I noticed when I went shopping a couple of weeks ago that they were in new packaging. It wasn't until I got home and looked at my receipt that I noticed the price had changed from 85p to 70p but the amount of strips inside had gone down from 20 to 10!! They were marked up the following week at £1.00 for 10. I commented on Morrison's facebook page and they were going to get back to me. Still waiting. (Buy them at Sainsbury's now 75p for 20)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback