Merchant Credit

2»

Comments

• I know its wrong and i should be paying it but its a mistake on them maybe i would try giving a shot to capitalize this opportunity because its a quite hefty sum for me;)
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Give it a shot, by all means. But as ZX81 points out, you can expect it to come back and bite you soundly on the bum. Mistakes happen, it's a fact of life. How would you feel if it were the other way round ?

I bet you're the sort of person who tries to sue the council because you slipped on a patch of ice in the middle of winter whilst you were drunk. Get real.
  • Well, you could keep the money but then have a quick think about how you would view someone who kept some of your money in this sort of situation.

To recap what I think has happened, your closed account received a refund but you'd never been charged in the first place. You took that money and now the original charge has been processed, so the bank is asking you for payment of the debt that is now outstanding on your closed account.

Notwithstanding the probability that your Issuer has a Chargeback right for 'Late Presentment' (which should normally only be used when a debt is 'uncollectable' - e.g. a cardholder has 'done a runner') they might still do something to damage your credit file even if they do get their money back through said Chargeback.

I'd do the honourable thing and pay up if I were you.
  • I know its wrong and i should be paying it but its a mistake on them

You're absolutely right. Mistakes need to be punished.

My mum left her bag lying around in my house once and I found her purse in it.

That's a mistake she won't make again in a hurry.
  • Well i am not trying to trigger anyone here altough i am planning to pay in the first place anyways but i am not denying a possibility of getting free money. I am not saying people should be perfect and not make any mistakes but i am just asking if i could get 4 grand for free:D. I do believe in karma and it could bite me in the back but if you change your perspective, getting this money could mean its a good karma on my end
  • Pay the money back.
    Stop acting like a fool and asking stupid questions on a public forum.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Well i am not trying to trigger anyone here altough i am planning to pay in the first place anyways but i am not denying a possibility of getting free money. I am not saying people should be perfect and not make any mistakes but i am just asking if i could get 4 grand for free:D. I do believe in karma and it could bite me in the back but if you change your perspective, getting this money could mean its a good karma on my end

1st off. It's not the banks fault that a retailer has refunded you and then realised that they (retailer) made a error.
    All the bank is doing is passing on the retailers request.

If anyone was to chase you for the funds. Then it would be the retailer.
    Life in the slow lane
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport