NHS Appointment Vent

Comments

• Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    badmemory wrote: »
    Does it actually matter if your email is secure? You can tell where it is coming from before you open it & there is a delete button (I use it a lot). Sending basic info re an appointment is not high security. Sending info re the results yes it may be, but even so does that matter? Does it matter if some hacker sees that your cholesterol (sp) is higher than it should be or your blood pressure is higher than it should be. After all who really cares apart from you & your family & it is doubtful that they are the hackers.

The point is you can't actually tell where an email has come from because the address can be easily spoofed and most people don't know this.

It matters to alot of people that their medical information remains private and secure at all times. Patient confidentiality is taken very seriously so using a very insecure media such as email goes against that.

Personally I would be happy to get appointments by email but I wouldn't agree to results by email just in case I get a sensitive medical condition in the future.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 November 2019 at 3:04PM
    You've jackieblack actually reminded me of another means of communication that our local trust thankfully stopped a couple of years ago. After every appointment I'd get a text asking if I'd recommend a stay in hospital to friends or family (or words to that effect, no linking to further feedback, just a simple yes/no). I think you can get arrested for that kind of recommendation

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?

• The funniest one was after being rendered immobile by a whatever the collective noun for a number of district nurses is. I was asked if I needed any further 'help'. I said maybe a bit of physio, and an occupational therapist duly arrived unannounced a couple of days later. The next hour was a complete farce... :rotfl:

The group noun used in my trust for Community Psychiatric Nurses was "coven". I think it was used tongue in cheek...
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 November 2019 at 4:13PM
    I was thinking of a menace of nurses because when they come at you in numbers you know something bad is going to happen.
    I got some MRI results last year that were fairly disappointing, and at the start of the consultancy I stopped the chit chat and just said,
    "it's growing again isn't it"
    "how do you know" they replied.
    I then pointed out that I'd noticed that bad news involved the attendance of a nurse, and if they all trooped in without a nurse in tow then it was likely to be good news

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I was thinking of a menace of nurses because when they come at you in numbers you know something bad is going to happen.
    I got some MRI results last year that were fairly disappointing, and at the start of the consultancy I stopped the chit chat and just said,
    "it's growing again isn't it"
    "how do you know" they replied.
    I then pointed out that I'd noticed that bad news involved the attendance of a nurse, and if they all trooped in without a nurse in tow then it was likely to be good news

I had the same at my consultants appointment after a TURBT. Nurse sitting in the corner of the room. Consultant's first words were "is anybody with you?" which rang alarm bells when coupled with the nurse in the corner. His next words burnt themselves into my mind - " it's cancer". That is when I found that my confidence in being able to deal with that result were totally unfounded.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    In December 2017 I had what I discovered later was a prostate bleed. The lady GP I saw moved heaven and earth (well OK, just the local oncology department) to get me immediate CT and MRI scans. That was just in time to catch a growth on my Pancreas. The consultant surgeon gave it to me like this
    " You have something interesting on your pancreas."
    ME - "How do you mean, interesting?"
    C- "Because the offending article is on the tail of your pancreas, as here-" (shows me a diagram of my pancreas tail) - "Which gives me an opportunity to save your life by cutting out only the part with the nasty bit."

That is what happened, but he also had to take out my spleen and a couple of lymph glands. 7 months Chemo and daily medication later, I am still here. I last saw that consultant a few months ago and his first words to me were "Oh good, you're still with us. And will remain here for the foreseeable future, as you appear to be clear. Now I must move on to more cases like yours, in the hope of similar results."
    As I lost my gall bladder and a large part of my bowel some years ago, I could be forgiven for not being comfortable with the presence of a group of nurses approaching me. However, I remember the ones who cared for me and others so well during the operations, the chemo and the two hospital stays after my immune system threw wobblies and I had life-threatening infections. When I go back to my oncologist, deputy to the consultant, for a quarterly check and scans, I call to the chemo ward with a box of biscuits for those nurses in both wards. I always thank them and that thanks comes directly from the heart.

The prostate? Just enlarged, the scans are set to check that too. I'm lucky and I wake every morning with that knowledge: some that were with me in that chemo ward, were not so lucky.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Reminds me of the conversation about my biopsy.

Doc "Yes, we just need to take a tiny sample of tissue"
    Me "Fine..."

Then it dawned on me where this tiny sample was coming from - inside my brain

:eek:

As we left the consulting room the doc leaned out of the door and said, 'please come back for the biopsy'

• I am a believer that appointments should be texted or emailed.

It only contains basic info, date and time of appointment

Paper mail is just as easily messed around with
    With love, POSR <3
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My MRI appointments are dealt with by InHealth, one of the private companies that has a contract with the NHS. All appointments are done by phone and confirmed by text. Surely that's cheaper than all the letters that are sent out by the NHS. I have to say that InHealth are much better than the NHS.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • No problem, my audiologist and ICD appointments are now given by text message and email. This saves my NHS trust money and it saves cutting down forests to get a letter!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure