40 year old male mid life crisis?

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    I agree with the girl and that you should leave your wife, but not for her. You need to allow your wife to move on, and time for you get over the last month and to be by yourself. I don't think you should leave your wife and jump straight in to another relationship. You wife will move on and find someone who can offer her what she wants from you but you don't want to give. If you feel anything for your wife allow her this.

You mention losing your home and daughter your biggest concern. But this is the first time you mention it. If your daughter came to you, in an unhappy marriage and wanted out, what would you advise? Do you think its right for her to see the way you make her mum feel? If he husband cheated on her and didn't want to go back but didn't have a better offer would you tell her to take him back? These are all things that your actions now will leave as an impression on her.

Why do you need to know the girl doesn't want you, in order to make a go of things with your wife? You either want your wife or not. If not then do the right thing and leave. Regardless of the girl. Your wife is the one you decide about, not the girl.

I think it's called 'hedging your bets'.
    I think the OP wants his wife only if the 'girl' doesn't want him. :(
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you actually want to be with your wife or not? Everything else is just a distraction.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I think the best thing for the OP's wife would be to find out how duplicitous he is and end the relationship.
    And that may yet happen, but I'm trying to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. IF he makes a DECISION, based on FACTS ("I do not want to lose my wife, I do want to fight to save my marriage") rather than FEELINGS ("I quite fancy my chances with young ladies half my age and wish I hadn't settled down when I did") then there's a chance.

I do know a (very) few couples who've come back from this. But there has to be firm intention rather than wishy-washy oh-dear-I-got-found-out hand-wringing.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • corell
    corell Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    As others have said, I've not seen the initial post so can only gather from the responses what is missing.

I'm wanting to answer from a wife who is going through something similar, to give you the other side and maybe you can consider your wife's feelings instead of your own.

I've been married almost as long as you have, we also have a child. I'm guessing from the way you write and the age differences that you are not my husband, at least I would surely hope not given your responses.

At the end of September my husband decided to inform me he had booked a holiday for himself and would be going away within the week, because "it would be worse if he doesn't". I was thrown, I didn't understand. I knew there was something not right because he was being strange with his phone for weeks, I just didn't dare push the subject too much. He said he wasn't happy with us and the reasons were all down to me. He mentioned he wanted "that spark", which made alarm bells ring, but I was definitely the problem.

For 6 weeks I tried to fix myself, tearing myself apart, crying my heart out on the floor to try and work out the issue. He let me do that, even hugged me at times. Saw how broken I was, noticed my weight loss because I wasn't eating, I also wasn't sleeping. I questioned him what had I ever done that was so wrong, was I such a bad wife? I wanted the answer so I could fix whatever was wrong with me that made my husband want to leave me. I repeatedly asked was there another woman? The answer was always the same, "no". I believed this because I know my husband, he wouldn't do that to me. I asked him a lot. I told him I wasn't sure I believed him when he said no. He would tell me he "needed to think" so would go out alone instead of wanting to talk things through with me and work everything out. He refused counselling. He spends a lot of time on the internet, talking to people. I questioned him on this and he said things like "you don't need to worry about the people I talk to on the internet, you need to worry about the people I work with". This made no sense, and he backtracked the next day on saying this, it "wasn't what he meant".

It turns out I may have thought I know my husband, but I do not. The answer came after those 6 weeks when I went onto his social media while he was away with work. In 48 hours I got 30 minutes sleep, I was broken, I was a mess, I felt dead inside. I felt suicidal. Not only was the holiday a "romantic trip" to meet a woman he's never met before in a foreign country, but there was also a second woman at work. Neither knew/know about the other.
    He and the work woman had a day out together, before I even knew there was an issue with our marriage. He even showed me photos from that day and didn't once hint that he had taken another woman out secretly. He has even showed me facebook videos she had posted, I still wonder why he would do that. Nothing physical had happened, he says. Although I will never really know. She's a happy person, it makes him feel happy to be around her. I've been suffering with depression and anxiety all year due to many reasons, so that's a real kick in the teeth.

I saw from his messages that those times he told me he "needed to think" alone, that he was asking this woman to meet up. He was sending photos of his walks to both women. Telling the work woman she should come to the town he is in when he works away.
    He came home not knowing that I knew. I asked him, yet again, and he gave no answers. I had to tell him that I knew, then what it was I knew because he was too cowardly to speak any of it himself. I was so angry, I've never been so angry in my life. I've never said a bad word to or about my husband until that night.

A while after, when things calmed down we took a weekend away to try to reconnect and sort it out. We had a lovely time, he took a phone/social media break and said his head was less messy and we agreed to try again. There were some genuine moments of happiness that weekend. We decided to try and give things another go.
    4 days after we came back, he came home from work and said he had messaged the foreign woman today because "it made him happy" and "he wanted to!" I can't say here what I thought and what I said, as I'm sure it would be censored. I told him to leave. He decided then that he now wanted to try! Probably surprisingly to anyone reading this, we are still together, but it's not easy. I have always had trust issues due to my parents both having affairs, and although I have never not trusted my husband, I've never fully trusted either.

The thing is, even though we are together, there's problems. I'm now suspicious of everything he does. Is he telling me the truth? He has only ever lied to me once that I knew of, before this and it was over something stupid. I would look him in the eye, I thought this would mean he wouldn't lie to me, not directly looking me in the eye. Now I can't even see him online without thinking who is he talking to because he's not messaging me. I also don't feel like the same woman I used to be. I feel angry, my god do I feel angry. I don't feel he understands why, but surely he can't not? I feel broken, my heart is broken, my head is a mess, I've considered suicide more times than I've told anyone. I'm sad. I don't know why he would throw away what we have, for a fantasy. Hurt me, and hurt our child because he seeks happiness, what about our happiness?

Apart from a couple of family members, I've not told anyone all of this, because I'm embarrassed. I don't want to be seen as a failure. I am trying to keep my marriage together because I love the person my husband was, can he be that person again? I don't want to break my child's heart, and that is the hardest thing to get my head around. I need to know that I have given this everything I have so I can look my child in the eyes and say " I tried my very very best".

My husband has hurt me so very much. He has played with my emotions, with my heart. I can also, ridiculous as it may sound, sympathise with the other women because he has played with their emotions too. I don't know if we can move past this, I hope we can, but I need to see more change than he has done so far. I'm not as closed off to being a lone parent than I was previously. I know that should anything else happen, I will walk away knowing that I have done everything I could here and that I am in no way the bad guy. I'm sorry this is longer than intended, I've considered deleting it all but I feel I want to share it because it's hard keeping it all inside and not talking to anyone about it as I've shut myself off from everyone.

In regards to your situation, I think you're an absolutely awful person to treat your wife in such a way. "The grass is greener where you water it". Do you love your wife? Have you ever loved her? Do you love your child? How do you think this will make your child feel if you are to separate? What will you tell your child? How will you sit them down and tell them that you are leaving your family for another woman, because this is not for your wife to do. If anyone is to break that child's heart it is squarely with you. I will tell you what I told my husband. You will regret this, if you stay or if you go. If you stay you will regret doing this to your wife. If you go you will regret leaving your wife and also for doing this to her. You can't keep your options open. Your wife deserves more than that. You either give your marriage a chance, which is what you chose when you married her! Or you walk away and let her have a chance of happiness with someone who could truly love her. You cannot have your cake and eat it. Stop fooling around, stop contacting the other woman and step up! You should be grovelling at your wife's feet for what you are putting her through. I feel for your wife and I feel sad for you that you would give up your family for a bit of skirt.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    Oh wow corell, what a post! Thank you for saying just what the OP needs to hear.

But may I say one thing? YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE!

No, you're not perfect. Yes, there will be things you've failed to do. But YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE and NEVER think that your depression is responsible for your husband not being happy.
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    You are very strong Corell to try and make it work.

I saw a film the other night and the actress turned round to the actor playing her husband and said 'i haven't trusted you in the five years since you cheated on me', it isn't something which can quickly be repaired and takes a lot of effort on your husband's behalf to try and earn your trust, one day.

I tried to make mine work and stayed with him for over a year, even whilst living apart, however it was only me making the effort whilst he was crying over the other who was half my age.

16 months after I told him to leave, I started my life over as there was no marriage. Over 2 decades of my life were with him.

I'm now divorced and so much happier, so I guess I should thank him for his actions :D
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Corell. Difficult to know what to say. My first husband cheated. Same long story. Lies. Made me feel like it was me. Whether you make it work or not is up to you. I just wanted to say please don't take the blame. I was utterly paranoid when he left thinking people would be gossiping and saying how awful I must be to live with because that was 100% out of character. When I told people, they all said "What, Phil?" a hundred times with a laugh like I'd got it wrong or was joking.

Actually, I have such a supportive family and lots of very close friends who really were nothing but concerned, worried, and completely 100% had my back.

If he genuinely knows he made a mistake and is doing everything to keep you after realising what he nearly lost, crack on. If not, I think you deserve better. And I think you know it too but maybe feel you've invested too much and aren't brave enough to flip your life 180.

Lots of luck and support.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well of course, it's always the husbands fault when a relationship breaks down.Never anything at all to do with the wife......:cool:
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    gomer wrote: »
    Well of course, it's always the husbands fault when a relationship breaks down.Never anything at all to do with the wife......:cool:
    No-one's saying that. Women are just as capable of infidelity and stupidity as men. I had one friend decide - all by herself - that her DH had One More Chance to Make Things Right and Make Her Happy, but she absolutely flat out refused to tell him that she wasn't happy, and he was doing his best but oblivious. It didn't end well.

But in this thread, whatever the faults of the wife, it's a man thinking with a part of his anatomy other than his brain, and in a couple of the posts above it's the women who've been cheated on saying what happened to them.
  • gomer
    gomer Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 November 2019 at 8:42AM
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    No-one's saying that. Women are just as capable of infidelity and stupidity as men. I had one friend decide - all by herself - that her DH had One More Chance to Make Things Right and Make Her Happy, but she absolutely flat out refused to tell him that she wasn't happy, and he was doing his best but oblivious. It didn't end well.

But in this thread, whatever the faults of the wife, it's a man thinking with a part of his anatomy other than his brain, and in a couple of the posts above it's the women who've been cheated on saying what happened to them.

Hugs & cuddles xxxxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport